Hello all Is there any manual instructions eiher written or compiled detiling how to use ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

amoroso511 no está en línea Stack level 3

Detailed instruction for using BB maps

Advertisement

Hello all
    Is there any manual instructions eiher written or compiled detiling how to use Blackberry Maps or any other maps on Blackberry? ANy suggestion will be gratefully received.

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT

Re: Detailed instruction for usiong BB maps

Google maps works great and its free. Go to google from your browser and search for maps. It should give a hyperlink.

davilesberna no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi there,
    check here (Stingsonddog's blackberry tips) for a fairly extensive explanation of mapping software for bbs
    sorry I can't post the link, I'm not trusted yet but you could quick search it.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Each app should have its own user guide or help screens.

barbuser no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Pin Me

My 8800 didn't come with BBMaps installed. When I went to mobile.blackberry.com to download the app, I got a message that my provider didn't allow? What up with that?? Any other links available?

davidjohnson no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    30666B3D
    Many of the carriers want to make a buck off the free gps satellite systems ans will try to prevent you from using something outside of what they offer... The poster who suggested google is a great idea for you... My carrier wants to make it easy to use their service by having turn by turn voicr commands through their provided service but also allows me to use (& dowload) BB Maps: all depends how much control over you they demand... You can always express your opinion with your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by barbuser
    My 8800 didn't come with BBMaps installed. When I went to mobile.blackberry.com to download the app, I got a message that my provider didn't allow? What up with that?? Any other links available?

Quote Originally Posted by davidjohnson
    Many of the carriers want to make a buck off the free gps satellite systems ans will try to prevent you from using something outside of what they offer.
    I'd say some, not most. BBmaps doesn't come on the at&t 8800 but you can defininitely download and GPS app for your 8800. TMO doesn't have any restrictions that I know of. VZW has, of course, crippled the GPS in the 8830. Sprint has not on their 8830.

Yes, GPS signals are free. As for the maps that make that data acutally useful -- it really depends on the GPS app you're using. Some are free. Some aren't. Not all have the same features so try out several to see which ones work well, have the features you need, and pricing that you agree with. I highly recommend Telenav but it is $10/month for unlimited routes.

Quote Originally Posted by barbuser
    I don't see why anyone would actually want BBM given my extremely poor experiences with it. Just about every other GPS app out there does a better job of finding satellites and updating on my 8800.

Are you with at&t? Odds are that you need to edit blackberry.alx and remove the vendor ID's. I don't know if this has been covered in any of the threads here but I know for certain that there has been plenty of discussion on this at BlackberryForums.com.
    Last edited by takeshi; 07-14-2007 at 09:45 PM.

Re: Detailed instruction for using BB maps

Thanks Tkeshi
    very informative. I am with O2 in London UK and I am going to find out if Telenav operate her in UK and if they do I am going to subscribe to them. Mind you I have tried Google Maps and they are better than BB in my opinion.
    Does Telenav give verbal direction too?

Telenav might not be the best choice if you're across the pond. From what I've heard, Wayfinder is a better GPS app for people in Europe (I have no first hand experience with it).

I am just wondering if any blackberry 8800 user in London United Kingdom has a fist hand experience of Wayfinder Satnav maps in UK?

beanagee1 no está en línea Stack level 1

With Wayfinder or Telenav, do you have to pay for data on top of the $10 per month? In Canada, where the data charges are silly, is it better to stick with BBMs?

Without a Blackberry data plan on a Blackberry you can only place/receive voice calls, SMS, and sync/transfer via USB or bluetooth.

Your GPS app doesn't replace your data plan. BB Maps requires a data plan just like any other app that accesses the internet.

king_of_malkier no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Without a Blackberry data plan on a Blackberry you can only place/receive voice calls, SMS, and sync/transfer via USB or bluetooth.

Your GPS app doesn't replace your data plan. BB Maps requires a data plan just like any other app that accesses the internet.
    probably a repeat question, but are there any apps that do not require internet access? PDA's,Laptops, etc do not require the constant updating of maps via the internet. Most of these softwares have loadable maps for different staes, county's etc.

thomas17 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2196B9E9

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Have a 8800 with AT&T, downloaded BB maps and works ok. Uses a lot of battery juice.