Hi guys, This is going to take some hacking or some soldering surgery, I can ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

minitank no está en línea Stack level 2

Dead Blackberry 8800

Advertisement

Hi guys,

This is going to take some hacking or some soldering surgery, I can tell.

A while back my USB port broke, I bought a charging cradle and that solved the problem of charging the phone.

The issue since then was back up the phone, without the USB port I couldnt connect to my computer.

But since the weekend my black berry started to freak out everytime I took it out of the Holster, I'd take it out and the screen would either be blank (but lit up) or scrambled. The only way I could fix it was by putting it back in the Holster and pulling it out again until it came out normal.

Unfortunately lastnight, the same thing happened but the screen kept coming out blank, no matter how many times I pulled in and out, then it just went black.

If I call it, it still rings but it wont answer, if I get a message it still makes sounds but again, the screen stays black - the LED just blinks red to tell me I have a message.

Ive tried battery pulls - no effect
    Ive tried charging it, thats not working anymore either.

Any Ideas other than "get a new one"?

- im upgrading soon anyway, but I need to get my contacts and my notes off it somehow and as I mentioned the USB port is broken and the screen is black.

Thanks in advance.

mccx33 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    215b70b5
    Well, I would first try replacing the usb port just so that I can at least try to get the device connected to the computer to get your information backed up. As far as your screen problem goes...? idk.
    ...& that's pretty much it!

How can I replace the USB Port?

Ive asked around the stores near me and none of them will touch BB's with a barge poll. I spoke to my carrier and they said they'd send it off but that the engineers would have to wipe it (for some unknown reason) which would completely void the purpose of getting it fixed so Im stuck in that respect. Unless I find someone who can repair it without the need for butchering the memory.

PIN/ID
    215b70b5
    I have disassembled my entire dedevice before without any complications, but I have not replace any of the internal parts like the usb port or headphone jack or anything similiar. I would personally attempt to replace the port myself. Its not like you would be taking a huge risk on something that isn't functioning properly anyway. I used a video guide (on youtube) to disassemble my 8800.

Have you got a link?

thank you, that sounds useful.

PIN/ID
    215b70b5
    No problem..
    Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8yusZF4fbY
    ...& that's pretty much it!

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    I don't know they do this, but there's a guy on ebay that runs a charge port replacement service, and claims if he can't replace the charge port, he'll at least extract the data and put it on a cd for you... I found it by searching for charge ports on ebay- again I don't know how they do this without connecting it to a computer- I've been scratching my head over this for 3 days now- but in your situation you might want to hit him up... hope this helps

riff_raff no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    26853B59
    I went back to ebay and searched around, and the name of the shop that claims to be able to extract your info if the charge port can't be replaced is "cell-depo"... I still don't know how they do it- the only thing I can come up with since they already have the solder gun out is to transplant the memory chip to another motherboard- definitely not for the unskilled but I guess certainly possible with the right tools and aptitude, and worth the 30 bucks or so they ask for the service, if you ask me...