Trackball that is. I have an 8830 and over last couple of days my trackball ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

jeff42 no está en línea Stack level 1

Clean my Ball.....

Advertisement

Trackball that is. I have an 8830 and over last couple of days my trackball has been sticking (yesterday it wouldn't go up or down and this morning it wouldn't go left or right) Is there a way to clean the "insides" and the ball or do I have to send back to Verizon to fix???

Any insight would be most helpful. Thanks, J

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro

Re: Clean my Ball.....

These instructions are for a Pearl, but it should be fairly close. Just be careful...

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._pictures.html

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I do not recommend taking the trackball out as the above poster suggests.

If it is sticking, turn the device off. Press and hold down the ball and move it in all directions. This should dislodge whatever is causing it to stick. Blow some pressurized (a.k.a. canned) air all around it while pressing it down and rolling it in all directions.

You can clean it by dipping a q-tip in some denatured alcohol and pressing and rolling the ball. This gets any oils off.

And a tip - DO NOT carry it in your pocket. This is the primary means for getting lint and dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
    You can clean it by dipping a q-tip in some denatured alcohol and pressing and rolling the ball. This gets any oils off.
    Hey dubdub, the alcohol doesn't hurt the innards? I'm going to have to try that on mine. It's gotten darker with age, but I've never taken mine apart because it doesn't stick.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

thought my trackball would never mess up oops wrong i hate that i have to take this thing apart rim needs to work on this 1

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Stop putting your blackberries in your pockets without cases that actually cover the trackball.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Quote Originally Posted by MotoUp View Post
    Hey dubdub, the alcohol doesn't hurt the innards? I'm going to have to try that on mine. It's gotten darker with age, but I've never taken mine apart because it doesn't stick.
    Hasn't hurt mine yet. Done it 3 or 4 times over the last few months.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    Stop putting your blackberries in your pockets without cases that actually cover the trackball.

Best advice you can give on the trackball issue. I second the comment!
    Last edited by Dubdub; 11-02-2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post
    HAHAHAHA! Mine is always in my holster on my belt from when I leave the house for work until I go to bed. Pretty sad huh??? I feel like a geek, but I know what pockets do to phones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
    Hasn't hurt mine yet. Done it 3 or 4 times over the last few months.
    -------

Best advice you can give on the trackball issue. I second the comment!
    Sweet, I'll give it a try then. Thanks.

MBG
    MBG no está en línea Stack level 1

One of our users just had an issue with his not scrolling north and south. Well, after using canned air to no avail I went ahead and just popped off the exterior ring, pulled out the ball assembly and sprayed again. Once I put the assembly back it worked great. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put the outer ring back on!!! There is a long tab on one side - for conversation sake south side and two barely visable ones on the east side. Has anyone taken one of these apart and successful put this ring back on?? I had my user take it to the Cingular store hoping someone would know. Well that was a mistake. So it's back on my desk until I can fix it.

Anyone? Thanks!

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

I don't know about the 8800, but the ring one the pearl and the curve both have three sets of double tangs , at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions when installed. It's pretty tight so they all have to be pointing straight down from the ring surface. As I said, this if for the Pearl/Curve so your may be different.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr.
    You Ask, We Will Answer
    Can’t Install theme via DM?No Additional Apps Found for Your Device
    Links to Usefull KB Articles

andresp no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: Clean my Ball.....

<BUMP>

I would be interested too. Has anyone done this (successfuly) on a 8800?

This is my second 8800 with the same symptoms. And I always use the bundled blackberry holster.

Andres

andresp no está en línea Stack level 1
    Ok, finally tried it myself. It was easier than I thought.

Just gently pry off the chromed platic ring from the blackberry. It is held in place by three pressure notches on the ring itself. The whole trackball assembly can then be easy remove from the blackberry by hand or with tweezers. The trackball assembly is identical to the one used on the Pearl. So search for the Pearl trackball pictures somewhere in here to see what to expect.

Once the assembly is out of the blackberry, notice it has a metal plate retainer on top. The plate has four prongs (one of each side) that holds both plastics halves of the assembly together.

After removing the plate, the bottom plastic half of the assembly will come off. Be careful here, as there are four tiny rollers that may want to fall off. No biggy if they do, just remember where they were and their orientation. Remove the ball and clean with alcohol. The rollers themselves (where they contact the ball) might need cleaning too. Do note, that "I think" the BLACK rubbery part of the rollers are in fact carbon 'conductive' just like the material used on regular keypads for closing contacts. This meaning you might not want to touch these too much with your bare fingers. I did touch mine and nothing bad happened, but just in case.

To reinstall just put everything back together in reverse order. Pretty obvious BUT no doubt delicate and parts are small. So be careful and patient. Do this in a well lit room and a nice surface so you don't loose anything.

I did noticed the LED that lights the ball on the 8800 is in fact white unlike the tri-color rgb one on the Pearl. Pity.

Now our balls are finally CLEAN!
    Last edited by andresp; 11-07-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Well, dubdub was right. What are the odds one week later my track ball stops moving up and down.

A little rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and a few minutes later I am up and running again.

jeff42 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks everyone for your help! I took it apart, cleaned it and believe it or not I didn't have any parts left over when I was finished - Oh yea-it fixed my problem so far.
    -Jeff