Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I dropped by my local Cingular store today so I could finally put my hands ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Cingular: No equipment protection for 8800?!?!

Advertisement

I dropped by my local Cingular store today so I could finally put my hands on the 8800 if only for a few min.
    I did a lap around the store, then a second lap because I somehow missed the phone during my first revolution, or did I? The phone was not on display.
    At this point I must have been looking like a crazy person who couldn’t find the bathroom. A service rep promptly asked me if she could help me.

To her query I replied: “yes, I’m looking for your new blackberry device.”
    Service Rep: “you mean the 8800?”
    Me: “Indeed!”
    Rep: “oh, it’s not on display, but we may have one in the back.” She scurried behind closed doors and returned shortly with a boxed 8800, popped in a Sim card and Battery, then handed it over. “It’s our last one” She said.

While I played with the phone she tried hard to sell me a plan, for this I will not fault her because it’s her job. I told her that if she could beat my current deal with TMO, she might have my attention, and gave her the specks. She came (kind of) close. She quoted me $30 a month more than I pay now for two lines. I then realized however that she had not factored in any equipment protection program, and to this she replied: “We do not offer an equipment protection program on this device, but we might sometime in April.”

I was completely shocked to learn this. Who would this much for a month and not add equipment protection?

Something tells me that this rep must be inccorrect. Has anyone tried to purchase equip protect for their 8800?
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

jigga no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    306033F4

Re: Cingular: No equipment protection for 8800?!?!

I dont have the 8800 with Cingular but I know that when I was thinking about switching I was told that they do not offer equipment protection on their smartphones and pda so I can see how this would hold true for the blackberry...needless to say I did not switch to them and chose TMO instead.

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

He is correct, I just upgraded from a 7100g that I bought off ebay to a 8700c I bought on Cingular and there is NO protection plan for this, if I had known this prior I would NOT of gotten it through them. I would of bought it elsewhere and save my self the 2 yr chain arouind my neck. They do not offer it for ANY BB's or smartphones
    Michael

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

It just seems like a bad way to go for any consumer.
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

ct5694 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    n/a

i work for cingular wireless as a sales rep and cingular has NEVER offered insurance/equipment protection on any of our pdas (which includes blackberry). sorry guys. i spoke to a blackberry rep at a mtg once and he offered the alternative of www.safeware.com so check that out.

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I called Cingular the other day and added equipment protection for $4.99 a month. Maybe the rep didn't know what he was doing? Or do they now offer equipment protection on the 8800?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3

I emailed them (Safeware.com) and they are not covering PDA's/smartphones right now... but, they said they may again soon, but no reference on when soon will be.

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan08
    I called Cingular the other day and added equipment protection for $4.99 a month. Maybe the rep didn't know what he was doing? Or do they now offer equipment protection on the 8800?

Sounds like you either (a) got lucky (b) are paying $5/month for something they won't honor.

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by mcgowan08

When I upgraded my BB I was going to add the 4.99 plan but I woudl be paying for something that I could not use. You might want to call back and ask specificially...I did and they said no coverage.
    Michael

PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

If this will save some people $5 a month then I am very glad I posted it.

Everyone should take that $ and buy a pinstack membership!

jcarter21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f28da1

As others have said, Cingy doesn't have a protection plan for BBs. But they do honor the 1 year warranty which is pretty much just as good. The wife and I have gone through at least 6 8700s between the two of us, and have never had a problem getting a new one through Cingy's customer service/warranty department.

abaqueen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    PMme4it

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com) Before I got a BB I was paying for Ins plan on my lines when I upgraded to a BB, even though Ins was not offered the rep did not take it off. Months later when it came time to replace my "lost" (cracked screen really)I had to be a little persistant but after telling them I've been paying for the ins. Coverage all these many months... They offered me a 1-time replacement courtesy. I eventually took the cracked screen BB and used it on another line I also called in the IMEA # to Cingy so that line now shows as being a BB device and again they have not removed the ins and its been well over 6 months.

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

Just a FYI, the replacements through the toll free service line are refurb units. If you need to replace yours in the initial 30 days of ownership you can go back to the store and they will replace it for you.

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~WOW, I can't believe that cingular(the evil empire)doesn't offer protection.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

There are plenty of other options for insurance -- your carrier isn't the only source for PDA/smartphone insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by mistadobolin
    I was completely shocked to learn this. Who would this much for a month and not add equipment protection?
    Only all of Cingular's smartphone/PDA users... I've never had a need for it in all the years that I've used Blackberries, regardless of carrier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast