Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So I called my cingular store today to ask a few simple questions. They got ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

pthomas11 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d70f0b

cingular mess up pt. 1

Advertisement

So I called my cingular store today to ask a few simple questions.

They got the basic ones correct. What time they open, where they are located, etc.

When specifying the 8800 in my questions, they didn't know what it was at first. They said "there is no such thing, sir."

Then a manager got on the phone to help me, stating that his associate had been misinformed and that the blackberry 8800 would be launching tomorrow. He said that it will have a camera.

At this point I am dying I am laughing so hard.

I told him that Research in Motion doesn't show a camera being listed as a feature, and his exact words were:

I am telling you sir that this phone will have a camera. There must be a mistake on the site you are viewing.

So.... As well as know, cingular seems to be at it again...

Post your experience here.

Good or bad.

I'm not bashing cingular, just enjoying the humor of such stupidity.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

Re: cingular mess up pt. 1

lol.. good laugh

cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by pthomas11
    So I called my cingular store today to ask a few simple questions.

They got the basic ones correct. What time they open, where they are located, etc.

When specifying the 8800 in my questions, they didn't know what it was at first. They said "there is no such thing, sir."

Then a manager got on the phone to help me, stating that his associate had been misinformed and that the blackberry 8800 would be launching tomorrow. He said that it will have a camera.

At this point I am dying I am laughing so hard.

I told him that Research in Motion doesn't show a camera being listed as a feature, and his exact words were:

I am telling you sir that this phone will have a camera. There must be a mistake on the site you are viewing.

So.... As well as know, cingular seems to be at it again...

Post your experience here.

Good or bad.

LOL!!! Same thing here. I called an official cingular store, not some authorized dealer/resale and got it yesterday...they had the right information. As with any new product there's going to be confusion. The first "dealer" I called told me the 8800 for Cingular will be released in 6-8 months, good thing my time machine let me pick it up last night.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Meh, it's pretty typical for any cell phone store rep (regardless of carrier) I've dealt with. Do you really expect them to be experts and up on the latest and greatest for what their paid? People that competent would have better jobs elsewhere. Seriously.

In case you haven't been keeping up, it hasn't stopped the 8800's from flying off the shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by pthomas11
    Then why did you call other than to troll with the store reps? It sounds like you already knew the answers to the questions you were asking... Don't get me wrong, I'm the last person to defend Cingular and its poor training.

Btw -- you'd be better off spending your time learning the difference between ignorance and stupidity. There are smart and there are stupid store reps but you're bashing them on their ignorance...
    Last edited by takeshi; 02-20-2007 at 04:54 PM.

bbcoolsteve Guest

I wrote an article about why clerks should be eased off the guillotine a little bit a while back - but this kind of stuff is pretty ridiculous. The employee's should be aware of AT LEAST the basic product features and pricing.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Quote Originally Posted by bbcoolsteve
    I wrote an article about why clerks should be eased off the guillotine a little bit a while back - but this kind of stuff is pretty ridiculous. The employee's should be aware of AT LEAST the basic product features and pricing.
    i've often wrote here about this very thing. poor training and poor communication is how i place the blame. you can call up cingular 5 times and get 5 different responses...but hey, that's not JUST cingular.

trollicus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2463D44A

The majority of store employees, regardless of carriers are clueless, especially when it comes to devices geared toward the corporate market. When I went to the Cingular store by my house this weekend to inquire about the 8800, I was told that they had no idea and that it might take a few weeks and that instead I should try the new Cingular 8525. Even after I mentioned that my company is paying for a Blackberry branded device, not a device that can emulate one.

On the other hand, when I called the Cingular store by my office yesterday, they knew about the 8800s, mentioned they just got some in stock and even knew all the tech specs as to what it could or could not do.

Finally, when going with a co-worker to another Cingular Store today (14 mile and Haggerty in the Detroit Area) they already had the 8800s setup for display and available for sale. $500 with no contract and $339 with a 2 year, plus you get a car charger and some other accessory.

So the point is that the majority of salespeople aren't too bright, but some stores do have professionalism.

Toddboy71 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    T o' Bee

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I can understand the employees not knowing all the details. Many are just working part time. But for a store manager not to know details...... Especially as critical as MAJOR device features? Its not like they get 20 new devices a month to "learn". And trust me, this is not exclusive to Cingular. Nextel was the same way. I will say most all of the tmo employees ice dealt with in the past year were pretty up to date on BB, although we here get more info ahead of time.

pthomas11 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d70f0b

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Meh, it's pretty typical for any cell phone store rep (regardless of carrier) I've dealt with. Do you really expect them to be experts and up on the latest and greatest for what their paid? People that competent would have better jobs elsewhere. Seriously.

In case you haven't been keeping up, it hasn't stopped the 8800's from flying off the shelves.

Then why did you call other than to troll with the store reps? It sounds like you already knew the answers to the questions you were asking... Don't get me wrong, I'm the last person to defend Cingular and its poor training.

Btw -- you'd be better off spending your time learning the difference between ignorance and stupidity. There are smart and there are stupid store reps but you're bashing them on their ignorance...
    a few things for you....

i expect training for launches of products. i work for niketown in atlanta. i can promise you that every associate in my store can tell you everything you need to know about every shoe we launch. and nike doesnt pay part time associates anymore than cingular does.

SO YES. i absolutely expect them to tell me everything i want to know about the phone if they are going to sell it and provide support for it. maybe that is asking too much for you....

i called the cingular store to verify they would be getting the phone. they did not get the 8700 on time, nor did they know what that was. the 8100 was delayed...

i think it is okay for me to call and verify the phone i am calling about is the one they are sure is coming out tomorrow.

and i wasnt picking on the associates. i did know the answers to the questions i was asking. however, the fact that their answers were different allows some suspicion about the status of their knowledge of the product.

now, all that being said.... i wasnt bashing anyone. i was bothered that they didnt know the information that is posted on their site. in my eyes, this is a huge launch. i would expect them to know a few basic things about the phone...

if i missused the word stupidity, allow me to call myself stupid so i can clear that up. and i appreciate you letting me know how to spend my time....

i was just posting a laugh of a situation. didnt mean to upset anyone...

bobandmandy no está en línea Stack level 1

OK, I got my 8800 today from my local store: Cranberry Pa (Pittsburgh North). The people at my store knew all about it; how it did NOT have Wifi enabled nor a camera. They also knew about all the features and differences between this phone and other BB's. I'm sorry that other's have bad Cingular experiences, but the people at my store are great. I guess they need a raise for actually being good! (PS: I don't work for Cingy either)

mdegen no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    204bod77

I think it all depends on the particular associates' interest in their products. I'm sure the ones that are actually interested in cell phones and technology will look into new products coming out and know more about them as opposed to the kid who gets this job just to get a paycheck.
    just my 2 cents

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

[quote=pthomas11]i work for niketown in atlanta. i can promise you that every associate in my store can tell you everything you need to know about every shoe we launch. and nike doesnt pay part time associates anymore than cingular does.

SO YES. i absolutely expect them to tell me everything i want to know about the phone if they are going to sell it and provide support for it.

now, all that being said.... i wasnt bashing anyone. i was bothered that they didnt know the information that is posted on their site. in my eyes, this is a huge launch. i would expect them to know a few basic things about the phone...[quote]

From another perspective:

I agree with you that it would be nice if every store sales employee knew their product.

However that is not realistic in todays' market where the consumer expects to buy a product for the lowest possible price, even if the seller does not make enough margin. It's a selfish world.

As far as the company you work for training and retaining knowledgeable employees, that's terrific but far from the norm. Just because your company does a great job, does not mean that others do. Nor should they be expected to.

If we step back, and look at retail in general no matter what the product, the issue of entry level sales people being paid minimum wage, how are we to expect these people to be experts?

It takes training, guidance, and money to employ sales people that are skilled and knowledgeable. Especially with technical products. Then to make matters worse, is the fact that new phones are being released at very rapid pace, and the carriers have quite a large inventory of phones. Quite a challenge to keep up with. The higher the carriers expenses, for training, or other operational aspects, the more we are going to be paying for phones.

So for those of us that are knowledgeable and passionate about a certain field like mobile phones is one thing.

To expect everyone that we encounter at the various carriers to have our level of knowledge, interest and commitment is not realistic.

Please understand that I'm not suggesting that YOU are not being realistic.

Quite the contrary, you are like the rest of us. Phone enthusiasts that follow our favorite brands and therefore have a head start on nearly every salesperson.

One more thought. Just look at the average auto sales person. Selling a product that is far more expensive than any mobile phone, and that person has NO CLUE about every detail and feature of the car. That is one of the most transient jobs available.

Cheers...
    So the way I see it, the good news is all the information is already available to us, and we simply must keep things in perspective.

cv
    cv no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I can top this. I go to a corporate Cingular store to get an 8800. The rep goes to the back and gets one. Opens the box for me to take a look. Its beautiful. Feels great. Then, while keying into the computer, sees it has a 0$ price. He asks the mananger and they say the I can't buy it yet. I need to come back later when their system is updated. No matter what I say, they won't let me leave with it. Even if I provide a credit card. This after insisting the 8800 has WiFI. Which it does not. So close, yet so far.

bug2621 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~There are several comments on here such as the initial comment and the one by takeshi, that just disgust. For some odd reason there is the thought that all wireless sales reps are not intelligent people. As a sales rep, I do admit there are some that are not that bright and to be honest don't really give a flip about the 8800. On that same token, some of us are drooling over its release and that consistenly keep up with things of that nature. And just because we work retail at a wireless company does not mean that we have no education or intelligence. I graduated Magna Cum Laude last May, and I still work in wireless because I have been doing so since I was a sophomore in college. I also do so because I can use this as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Also, the pay is great if you're good. I've been able put myself through college, puchase a car, and am on the verge of purchasing a house. Also, I feel the need to address why sales reps aren't always up on the latest phones to come out. First, it costs money to train every single rep on every single phone. To be honest new phones come out every single month or so. Also, a device like a blackberry is primarily a business device not a commercial one like the pearl. A device like 8800 is primarily a business device, and the majority of business customers go through a B2B sales rep, not a RETAIL location which primarily focuses on the regular consumer. Therefore, sales reps don't and won't always know it all because they are not expected to. So for everyone with negative general comments, please know what you are talking about before you comment on anything.

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~hey the reps by be misinformed but aslong as my service is still good I'm happy haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast