I am usually a guy that likes to upgrade to the latest and greatest version ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

chuckymafia no está en línea Stack level 2

Cingular/ATT OS Latest ver 4.2.2

Advertisement

I am usually a guy that likes to upgrade to the latest and greatest version of Everything. I upgraded to Vista and saw that it was not for Me, I then upgraded my Blackberry to OS 4.5 and had some problems, I then posted a post here and got my answer. I now have OS 4.5 and Blackberry Maps. Now for some people who do not like to use other phone providers OS I decided to post a little bit of a experience I had. I know that ATT clearly hates the Blackberry Maps Application. The Blackberry Website even says that it is not available for the ATT Network. I have had ATT's Pearl, Curve and now the 8820. I knew that the Maps was on the pearl when I got the phone, then I upgrade to ATT's latest OS and its gone. I read later that they had decided to take it off. Since I keep back ups of everything I do, i went on a search and found out the 3 files needed to run the Maps. not all Maps versions worked and showed up on the display. I spent countless hours doing my research, adding applications here and there and testing non stop. I came out to finally get the correct files to work properly on my Pearl. After about a month or so I had problems with my Blackberry Pearl. ATT sent me a Pantech Duo. Well I am sorry to use the Expression "Once you Go BLACKBERRY you don't go Back" I hated the Pantech Duo as to send a simple message and to keep the Theme I wanted, it took me about 7 steps. Ok I sold the Duo and got me a Tmobile 8320 with Wi-fi, unlocked it and I was good to go. Surely my wife likes it. I didn't use the Wi-fi so I gave it to her and got me an ATT 8310. This one had GPS, but no Maps. I used the same files for the pearl and I was good to go. Working all the way and perfect. Ok well I get greedy and buy an 8830 at the same time. yes 2 Blackberries at once. Well long story short I prefered the 8820 for the keyboard. I lost a camera feature but I was ok with that. I get this one to and Maps is missing, same problem resolved with the same files.I then upgraded to OS 4.5 and it didn't work finally. I got the files directly from Blackberry and my story ends well. Well I decided to share the files for the Blackberry Maps for those who do not want to either search for them or go away from their Current OS that they have. Please enjoy these files. Thanks for reading my stroy as well. lol

Usage: In the Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files there should be a folder with your OS in it
    Click on that and go to the Java Folder
    Then just copy and or cut and paste the files there, overwrite them if you currently don't show maps on your phone but APPloader says you have it installed or your blackberry says its installed
    Run the DTM and it should detect the new version, just proceed and you are done.
    If it does not detect it, remove the current maps version and once your phone reboots, re add it via DTM and you should be good to go.

Please PM me if you have any problems or get stuck somewhere and Always backup the filess you are about to overwrite. They are the same name as those i have posted here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

thbassman no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    ASKME4IT
    Nice review Chuck. Way to look out for your fellow stacker!
    THBASSMAN

Carpe Diem!!

thbassmanatpinstackdotcom

Check this out!!! Mobiletropolis

My TORCH Rocks!

I try to help out as I am very experienced and seem to be very good into the Blackberry knowledge. Just trying to make things easier for new people or people who want it simple. lol

knoppe01 no está en línea Stack level 1
    If I may ask - what's the advantage of BB Maps over the new version (2.3.1) of Google Maps ?

Thanks

guruleenyc no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by knoppe01 View Post
    If I may ask - what's the advantage of BB Maps over the new version (2.3.1) of Google Maps ?

Thanks
    Good ques. and I personally think its inferior. Anyhow, where can I find 4.5 for my ATT 8820??

rjs87 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Go to top of forums page and search for east asia 4.5 for 8820

DCookSta no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    312C4157
    Quote Originally Posted by guruleenyc View Post
    Good ques. and I personally think its inferior.
    I agree, I like google maps much better.

Just a personal preference. I had garmin at one time and I liked that program. I liked it over telenav. I tried all the free maps programs but I prefer maps as its easy for me to use and hardly takes up time to load over some of the ones I have tried

knoppe01 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Thanks - I'm used to Google so I guess I'll stick with that

tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2
    Also, maps is the basis for several other navigation programs including (I believe) telenav from ATT. What I found on my 8820 is that maps is really there but it's been hidden. ATT doesn't like the competing product so they disable it.

Now to see if I can't get OS4.5 working without bricking my phone.

Effing ATT and their slow azz updates. I'd drop them in a heartbeat if I had a choice.

Sparky1254 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    I had a problem just yesterday and called our AT&T 611 help line. After taking
    care of my problem I inquired when AT&T is going to officially release v4.5. The
    Agent told me she's been running it for around a month and it IS officially re-
    leased. Just go to Blackberry's site, look it up, download it, install it and it works.
    Also no need to delete the "vendor.xml". The new face lift and various other tiny
    updates all over the OS are fantastic. My Pearl finally now does not look like
    blinkety blink Kiddy toy from the toybox over in the corner. Good luck stackers!

Sparky, It's a New Day!

Ridicule no está en línea Stack level 3
    To answer the BB Maps vs Google Maps question - BB Maps uses VERY little data for its lookups, navigation - Google Maps is an absolute pig in comparison (but, yes, you really can't argue with how flashy google maps is)

All that beauty comes with a cost. Those folks on light data plans, they'll want to use bb maps.