View Poll Results: How will Cingular/AT&T handle the launch of the 8800?

Voters
53. Register free to vote on this poll
  • They have screwed up other launches, this won't be any different.

36 67.92%
  • I have faith they have gotten their act together and it will be a success.

17 32.08%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Well, I attended the launch party in NYC this evening, and I'm thinking it's going ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Re: Cingular/AT&T 8800 Launch...Flop Or Not?

Advertisement

Well, I attended the launch party in NYC this evening, and I'm thinking it's going to go fairly well this time. (Our purchasing person asked if I wanted to go, since she didn't care to, and I said yes.) They really seem like they're going to push the 8800 heavily in the corporate sector, which makes sense, since their last 2 releases focused more on the consumer end of things.
    We only have 6 pearls @ work, vs over 100 8700's.

It was a nice affair, Tiki Barber was there, decent drinks & food, and enough IT people to change a lightbulb, myself included.

Of course, I guess I'm now biased a bit, since they gave out a really nice (and totally unexpected by me at least) gift to all the attendees...
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Well Ill be damned. Looks like initial reports this morning are that Cingy isn't completely FUBAR'ing this launch. I am impressed! Its still early in the day, but so far things are going well. Good job Cingy. Looks like AT&T did teach ya some things!
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: Cingular/AT&T 8800 Launch...Flop Or Not?

The problem all along is not at the top of Cingular or RIM, but at the point of purchase in the ATT/Cingular stores. It's as if they never talk with corporate, know nothing about what's coming and when its to arrive, and are absolutely lacking any real technical information that would help when you actually buy the phone.

palmtreepimp no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23DBB65B

Launches are always tentative, if the unit is not ready to launch, it wont. Why launch with glitches? Cingular/at&t does a great job. As for the reps that lack tech nfo, you have the opportunity to stop by a store and just ask who is REALLY good with the Blackberrys and 9 out of 10 times, a rep will be recommended, choose to see that rep!

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

Well hopefully this won't be a mistake by going with Cingular for the first launch Carrier for the 8800. The pearl was pretty ugly but hopefully they learned a lot from this mistake and won't let it happen again.

Anyway this will be interesting to watch and see what actually happens. Just my .02 cents,

COJO 24

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

I thought this was very funny!!!! Maybe it is already getting screwed up by Cingular. Oh well, I'm not buying one anyway but I am still a Cingular customer.

So its already looking like a FLOP!!!

COJO 24

controlbb no está en línea Stack level 1

I am confused on how this is a flop. I don’t think any cellular company trains their employees on the latest phones. Remember that you are going into a Cingular store where a lot of these people are part-timers and not very tech savvy but good sales people. I bought my 8800 from a lady who didn’t know what it was and didn’t know they had inventory (Granted it was Tuesday and the Launch was Wednesday). She also tried to sell me a Bluetooth GPS with the phone which I kindly declined. (I didn’t yell at her or call her dumb) I did my research outside of the store and I didn’t expect Cingular employees to show me how to use my phone like I didn’t expect Verizon to show me how to use my Q.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Decidedly not a flop. Every Executive and Partner seems to want to trade up to the 8800. The Cingular guys can't keep these in stock. Smells like success to me. The core market says, "Gimme."

The lukewarm response tends to echo from the enthusiast community.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

I have to echo Aroc's statements.

The 8800's are going to sell themselves to the corporate segment. We installed 4 last week, and they're drafting an email to basically advertise it to the Partners. Until then the word of mouth is enough. I see a lot of device swaps in my future...
    Pretty much all Cingular needs to do is keep sending us devices and giving us a decent deal on them.

The most recent request was, well, not quite giddy, but it was enthusiastic.

Of the 64 Partners with 8700c's we have, I suspect at least 20 of them will pounce within 2 minutes of receiving that email, with most of the rest following shortly thereafter.

We've got 10 8700g Partners, and possibly half of them will want the 8800 simply for the 'new hotness' factor, with the rest sticking it out for the T-Mobile version because they don't want to move their plans to Cingular, and 1 or 2 because they get better coverage at their weekend homes from T-Mobile.

I suspect that at least two half of the 5 Pearl users (4-T-mobile, 1 Cingular) will want to try the 8800 if not outright switch, since it's essentially the same thickness and the extra half inch is still very pocketable. Actually one of them already asked for one.

The 15 Verizon users might be interested, but most have Verizon for coverage or contract issues, so I don't expect too many takers there.

This just might be enough to get the 7 Partners still using 7250's and 7290's to finally upgrade.

We won't get enough 870x class devices back to upgrade the Associates, but it might be good news for the managers if they decide to go that route.

I do know the two Sprint users are interested because of the GPS function though.

As for the rest, they'll whine, moan and complain, and I'll keep telling them, "Make Partner and we'll hook you up with one. Until then, you're stuck with that 7290/7250. Sorry." You'd think they'd just bribe us, but that would involve spending money.

(Aroc - I thought that username seemed familiar... - Psycho)
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123