I purchased an 8830 for personal use - but since I have a work BB, ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

tfc25 no está en línea Stack level 2

Can you have BIS and BES?

Advertisement

I purchased an 8830 for personal use - but since I have a work BB, IT at work is going to configure it so I have my work email and calendar.

So can I use the BIS as well (i.e. can I set up my vzw.blackberry.com email address) or do I have to wait until the BES is off (i.e. I dont need my work email anymore) before I can switch to this?

Thanks!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Can you have BIS and BES?

You should be able to use BIS provided the IT policy in place on your unit will allow it. If you are removing your unit from the BES, don't forget to ask them to remove the IT policy also.

Zo.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Just be aware that nothing is private on a company BES-connected BB -- even if the content isn't delivered via BES/MDS (i.e. that includes PIN's and BIS email, etc).

since its my personal blackberry, wouldnt it be almost illegal for them to monitor anything else on my phone other than my computer email and any other company program that they put on the bb? would seem a violation of my privacy for them to be looking at my phone calls, text and other personal programs (gmail, web browsing), etc when it literally has nothing to do with them.

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

Quote Originally Posted by tfc25
    since its my personal blackberry, wouldnt it be almost illegal for them to monitor anything else on my phone other than my computer email and any other company program that they put on the bb? would seem a violation of my privacy for them to be looking at my phone calls, text and other personal programs (gmail, web browsing), etc when it literally has nothing to do with them.
    If a peice of hardware is connected to their BES, they can audit whatever they want

Quote Originally Posted by cwakulik
    If a peice of hardware is connected to their BES, they can audit whatever they want
    something seems really wrong with that since not only havent they paid for the device, they also arent paying for the service. so what rights aside from monitoring email do they really have ?

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    And those policies that your company will push down to your personal Blackberry will lock you out of some things you take for granted. They could disable your media player, they almost certainly will have it automagically lock every x minutes thus requiring a password to unlock, etc. Getting those policies off is a huge task--don't expect a company to ever remove the policies--these forums are littered with people desperately seeking a way to remove them because wiping the unit won't do it. My advice, and seemingly everyone else's, is to not connect a personal Blackbery to a company BES.

Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    And those policies that your company will push down to your personal Blackberry will lock you out of some things you take for granted. They could disable your media player, they almost certainly will have it automagically lock every x minutes thus requiring a password to unlock, etc. Getting those policies off is a huge task--don't expect a company to ever remove the policies--these forums are littered with people desperately seeking a way to remove them because wiping the unit won't do it. My advice, and seemingly everyone else's, is to not connect a personal Blackbery to a company BES.
    a few things.

1. in talking to my company they said that the only thing they will do to the device is add my email. They also said that the firm policy will go on the device but that all it would do is give the device a password security prompt(which is norm as that is on my current work blackberry), and that there will be no other effects.

2. not sure why text/phone/pins (which i dont use) will be relevant or even interesting to my firm. they only have data capabilities anyway since they dont have access to my actual phone account with the company, so thats separate, and they dont have permission to deal with that.

3. lastly im not sure why everyone is so negative with respect to taking off the company email/ policies. why cant this be removed? (i only need access to it for a few weeks and thats it)

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Recently a court case was brought against employees of a bank for giving out personal and confidential information through sms and pins. The bank won the lawsuit. The employees were using personal cell phones. Never discount what a company thinks is important or not. Once you put your company email on your BB anything that runs through that unit is now legally accessible by your company for whatever legal investigation they decide to pursue. If you already have a company BB I would personally just leave your email on that and carry 2 BB's. It won't be worth the headache you will recieve if/when you leave the company and try to get your personal BB back to it's original status. Remember this also, the IT policy they will put on there is changeable at any time without notification or warning to you since you gave them the permission to modify your BB by asking to be placed on the BES.

As to the removal of the policies. The only way to remove them is to have them removed by the BES or replaced by a new policy. Wiping the phone will not remove them. They are embedded in the CMOS of the phone once they are installed.

Zo.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)
    I can't support Amigotek strongly enough. Don't do it.

My company also only puts a few restrictions on blackberries - or so they say. Those few include not being able to install programs, not being able to use the serial/USB port for 3rd party apps (anyone want to buy a never used Impatica Showmate presentation device) and a hundred other trivial things.

Repat: don't do it.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ok. Since everyone is pretty adamant I'm not going to do it!