A couple of months ago my call-end button started requiring an extremely hard press to ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2

Call-end button barely working

Advertisement

A couple of months ago my call-end button started requiring an extremely hard press to activate. I mean, hard to the point that I was afraid I would break the keypad. I try to avoid doing this by using the Alt-Back to change apps but that requires two hands. Not to mention, ending a call is a problem.

I think it is probably just dust or lint in the keypad and I'm thinking of tearing it open and cleaning it. Has anyone here done this on the 8800 series and are there warnings/caveats? I'm an electrical engineer and I'm pretty handy at fixing stuff.

The thing that makes me hesitate is the phone is still under warranty. Should I return it and get a refurb?

Now, let me tell you my experience with refurbs.

I bought an 8800 in August 07. The keypad went buggy on it in a few months. I sent it in and got a refurb. The screen was misaligned in that one so you couldn't see the left edge. I returned it and got another one that had a broken USB port. ATT finally made it right this time and sent me a brand new 8820.

So, now the keypad is having problems but since I've had such a bad time with refurbs, I am really reluctant to go down that road again. Of course, if I try to fix it myself, I'll void the remaining warranty and will be on my own.

What do you think?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    hey tweezak,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNddyfgk6g

there's a video, hopefully that will help you.

I'm more hands on guys myself. Would rather fix the issue myself instead of getting a refurb.

Good luck.

tweezak no está en línea Stack level 2
    So if I replace the keypad assembly, where should I get a replacement?

Are places like this reputable or am I just buying used parts?

http://www.bbrepairshop.com/Parts_8800.html

Thanks!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

That's a good place also if you don't mind ordering from china www.cnn.cn is a good place too.