Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to get a blackberry 8820 from ebay , some are listed as new, ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

okeee no está en línea Stack level 2

buying new 8820

Advertisement

I want to get a blackberry 8820 from ebay, some are listed as new, some as 2nd hand.

can a blackberry 8820 be new in unopened box, but also sim unlocked? so have these series been sold as simlock-free?

are blackberry 8820set up for BIS or BES?

about wifi, is it important/useful to have?

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Sounds like you're on T-Mobile? Why not just upgrade to the new 9780? It's a great device.

But to answer your questions, 8820 is a fairly old device compared to what's come out lately.

You'd want to make sure you're buying from a reputable dealer. The package will have to have been opened at some point to enter an unlock code, unless they are unbranded devices.

You can use the device on either BIS or BES. WiFi is nice to have so you can use that instead of data if you're on a limited data plan of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerG View Post
    But to answer your questions, 8820 is a fairly old device compared to what's come out lately.

You'd want to make sure you're buying from a reputable dealer. The package will have to have been opened at some point to enter an unlock code, unless they are unbranded devices.

You can use the device on either BIS or BES. WiFi is nice to have so you can use that instead of data if you're on a limited data plan of some sort.
    i know this model is a bit older, but its a model i like.

if a dealer says: "blackberry is new in unopened box, and simlock-free" is this possible? or does the box have to be opened to make it simlock-free?
    i'm probably going to use a unlimited internet subscription, so would having wifi still be of use?
    about BIS/BES, so its not dependent on the device, but you can choose which of these that you want?

Likely it's a dealer that sells "unbranded" devices, meaning it's never been locked to any carrier.

WiFi would be of use where you might not be able to get a data signal, yet you'd still be able to function through WiFi.

Yes, you can choose to have either BIS or BES, or both.

Likely it's a dealer that sells "unbranded" devices, meaning it's never been locked to any carrier.

WiFi would be of use where you might not be able to get a data signal, yet you'd still be able to function through WiFi.

Yes, you can choose to have either BIS or BES, or both.
    Do I need to pay for wifi use? i thought it could be useful when going to foreign countries, so i could probably not use the internet service from my internet provider, and then use wifi instead.

lak611 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    no more
    BES is typically for a device issued by an employer and used for work. BIS is the typical BlackBerry data plan for personal use.

No, you don't pay extra for WiFi.

No, you don't pay extra for WiFi.
    then could i get a normal subscription and use wifi for internet use, instead of an extra blackberry subscription?

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    I don't think so. Carriers do regular scans of their network to see who is using data/smartphones, and if they detect it, the will arbitrarily slap a data plan onto your device whether you want it or not.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    I don't think so. Carriers do regular scans of their network to see who is using data/smartphones, and if they detect it, the will arbitrarily slap a data plan onto your device whether you want it or not.
    ok how about using blackberry with a normal mobile/internet subscription, instead of a BIS subsription. I just want internet, not the blackberry services.

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    BIS is the Blackberry data plan inclusive. BIS is BlackBerry Internet Service. You won't be charged extra, just get your basic BB Data package from your carrier. For example, ATT charges $25/mo. for 200 MB of data, and $35/mo. for 2GB. 200 MB is not a lot of data unless you use the internet connected to wifi 90% of the time.
    ​Galaxy S4 Red

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    AT&T definitely does this. Some people have gotten a text message from AT&T the same day the put in their SIM telling them that a BlackBerry was detected and a data plan will be added automatically.

ok not all providers have a BIS so i'll just use the cheapest subscription with internet access. the problem is that not all providers have BIS. if a provider has internet services but not BIS that would be ok for me too.

PIN/ID
    no more
    Quote Originally Posted by okeee View Post
    ok not all providers have a BIS so i'll just use the cheapest subscription with internet access. the problem is that not all providers have BIS. if a provider has internet services but not BIS that would be ok for me too.
    What country are you in, and what provider are you looking to use? We would probably be able to help you further if we know more information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast