I have been having the Escape button = hlhlhl and trackball = uououo and 0 ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

bartkol no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb Buttons typing instead of doing default tasks. (ei. uo, yi, hl)

Advertisement

I have been having the Escape button = hlhlhl and trackball = uououo and 0 = yiyiyi issue for some time, and i think i have found the solution.

Goto your options and select Languages, make sure English US is you Imput language and turn Use Imput Language shortcut to No.

Since ive done this it has not occured... but the issue has be going on and off everyother day befor this so heres hoping.

Tell me if it fixed it.

cp6169 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3056468b

mommastewart no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2453FA55
    i thought i was the only one having this problem!
    i did have my language set to english-us but my shortcut was active.
    now ive changed the shortcut to no...hopefully it'll work! thanks!!!

Instrumentality no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22C7107B
    Chalk up another guy who has been having that problem, though it seemed to stop. After it stopped, I removed other languages to save space anyway, and I haven't had a problem.

It started acting up while I was at a worksite for Habitat for Humanity in the pouring rain and mud, though it was in my pocket and seemed unmolested, except for that problem. I really only noticed the escape key and some unusual twitchyness in the trackball button. (Button press, not movement.)

I'm actually on my second blackberry because my first one wigged out on the trackball button problem. Got to the point where it was just sitting there and registering extremely rapid button presses that weren't happening, and I certainly wasn't doing any volunteer construction work at that time.

The problems with this one appeared much sooner, but have been much less severe and much shorter lived. Still a bit nervous though.

patagon no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have this problem Well "yi" and "hl" anyway - same buttons affected. Started when I was roller-blading yesterday and got quite swetty, so I think its caused by moisture. But now nearly a day later hasnt fixed.

Language solution above doesn't work unfortunately.. Any ideas anyone?

patagon no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hmph - actually I have the "uo" problem too!

sprittt no está en línea Stack level 1
    Same problem here, however the language trick didn't work. Looks more like a software than a hardware issue though

coolcanuck no está en línea Stack level 1

Lightbulb moisture/language shortcut button error FIX!

I touched my bb with a single drop of water in the trackball to mute the alarm when in the shower, and I had this error for some time. I took it apart a few times (be careful not to be too hasty with your fingernails prying off the chrome side pieces before you have the t5 screws out (got my driver at TheSource).

There are good instructions for disassembly are on youtube, just search blackberry 8800 repair.

Obviously I did everything I could to dry it out, including leaving it in a bag of rice, hair dryer, dropping from some elevation onto carpet, blowing on it, etc etc.

I finally thought this must be a shortcircuit on one of the solders, or transisters somewhere. There must be a tiny bit of corrosion or dust adhered to the circuitry. Once completely disassembled, I took a tiny toothbrush, the kind meant for scrubbing gums, it looks more like a test-tube cleaner bristle. I gently scrubbed the board, all around the trackball tape *careful not to lift this tape* and every component surrounding it. I reassembled my device (see the video above), and it's like new.

I've read posts about people trying new trackballs, and returning their phones, or tossing them. It should be noted, that once completely disassembled, the device still generates this error (no trackball/keyboard) this means the moisture that generates these odd "english language shortcuts errors" is not caused by any input device that you could buy, including from blackberrytrackballs.com, who I've used in the past, and really is excellent. Don't waste your money, get a gum scrubber, and be very careful!

tompuck15 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm also having this problem and it does not appear that the language change is helping. Any other ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

HeywoodJ no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    pm me
    has any one heard of the otterbox????????????????
    http://www.otterbox.com ...I use my berry in the shower, and as long as i dont put it under the stream its fine .i have used them for years and they hold up.. if you use and old 87xx series they have a waterproof one that submersible . and keeps dust out too.
    they say their not going to make any for the new berries or the i phone tho