Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Ok I work in IT support, just started supporting Blackberry’s with very little ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

ianh123 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Blackberry Maps on 8800

Advertisement

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Ok I work in IT support, just started supporting Blackberry’s with very little knowledge, we have had one of our execs recently receive a 8800, he chose it over the 8707v which is the usual standard ones we give to customers because, it has a better battery life and because it has blackberry maps.
    So the problem, don’t get me wrong I think they are a great device very useful but when they go wrong there isn’t much help. All our devices are with Vodafone in the UK and they are about as helpful as a chocolate teapot.
    So anyway the problem is when you launch the app (BBMaps) it comes up and doesn’t show any maps all you get is two arrows top right sending receiving data initially, then you just get the red arrow point right and lines from corner to corner.
    He is supposedly got internet enabled and WAP, phoned Vodafone and they told me to phone blackberry direct. I know they are going to tell me to check the enterprise server and apparently we use it for mail and mail only.
    Had the same problem with the 8707 and it wasn’t receiving internet or WAP just wouldn’t connect to anything, so to sort this grabbed a new one out the cupboard and did the enterprise admin bit again and it was back up and running, worked fine.

So any suggestions???
    Sorry to waffle on just wanted to give some background info.

Oh yeah tried reloading the software and that didn’t work either. Is there a setting or something to check.

Thanks Ian
    Last edited by ianh123; 05-21-2007 at 11:31 AM.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: Blackberry Maps on 8800

Have you checked to see if he can browse the web on the device? Is it receiving and/or sending any data?

He is able to browse the web via WAP but not via the www web browser, do you know what connection bbmaps use's??

BrisbaneMango no está en línea Stack level 1

I had a similar problem over the weekend with my 8800...BB Maps was finding my location but not showing any maps, Google Maps was similar (no maps downloaded), Gmail would try and check my mail but eventually fail with an error (I don't have the exact error on me at the moment). Also, BB Browser would fail with a message about the mobile data service being unavailable.

In desperation I asked our Help Desk to restart the 'BlackBerry Mobile Data Service' service on the BES and everything started working again.

Might be worth a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaneMango
    I had a similar problem over the weekend with my 8800...BB Maps was finding my location but not showing any maps, Google Maps was similar (no maps downloaded), Gmail would try and check my mail but eventually fail with an error (I don't have the exact error on me at the moment). Also, BB Browser would fail with a message about the mobile data service being unavailable.

In desperation I asked our Help Desk to restart the 'BlackBerry Mobile Data Service' service on the BES and everything started working again.

Might be worth a shot?
    I will get this checked thanks, couple of questions though wouldn’t this affect mail being received as well or would this be a separate service, and also I have a blackberry myself and I am able to access the web/bbmap/googlemaps so does this service not affect everyone?? Or would it be user specific??

Sorry don’t know if you have the answers but as I say I’m still trying to learn my self and no one else in the team knows anything so someone has to learn.

Thanks

BrisbaneMango no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by ianh123
    I will get this checked thanks, couple of questions though wouldn’t this affect mail being received as well or would this be a separate service, and also I have a blackberry myself and I am able to access the web/bbmap/googlemaps so does this service not affect everyone?? Or would it be user specific??
    Well, I was still receiving emails while experiencing the problems I described. I checked with another BlackBerry user and they were having the same problem with browsing, but were also still receiving emails, so it seems odd that, in your case, only one BlackBerry is affected. I would have thought if it was the service then all your users would be affected.

I phoned Orange UK when I first realised something was up. They suggested getting the service book reissued. I nevet got that far as I read elsewhere about restarting the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service. They also asked me to change the 8800's APN (Options->Advanced Options->TCP) to 'blackberry.net' (without the quotes), leaving username and password blank. I've still got this setting in place, and I'm reluctant to change it back as everything's now working!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by ianh123
    It really depends on how your device is connecting to the internet. If the devices are on BES/MDS then they should all be affected using the Blackberry Browser though the Internet Browser may be fine. If one user is ok and the next isn't it probably isn't MDS.

Do you know if you have a BES server?