Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Do you really need a screen protector for the BB 8800? • Will keeping ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Blackberry & screen protectors

Advertisement

• Do you really need a screen protector for the BB 8800?
    • Will keeping it in a case or sock/bag eliminate the need for a screen protector?

I've used 72xx BB's at work and never used a screen protector, and I was surprised that the screens on that series never got scratched; they only retained a seemingly permanent sheen of finger grease. Screen protectors were absolutely necessary on other devices I've owned, such as Palms. I was hoping the screen would be relatively durable by comparison if care were taken with it.

iMacj no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3070F784

Re: Blackberry & screen protectors

The new glossy screens are certainly not as resistant to scratches. Although they do seem to be better than other similar screens. I have the Pearl and moved up from a 7230 so I hear exactly what you are saying.

I use the leather BB holster with the magnetic flip top. It protects well and also the magnet puts the phone into sleep mode shutting down the screen only, when it is in the holster. The new screens are very brilliant but I still miss looking at my 7230 and seeing everything as opposed to a blacked out screen until I hit a button.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

I look at a new BB as not only an extremely useful and fun tool, but as an investment. Although it would not make me happy to scratch my screen or drop my BB, it's not so much about the money invested for me. It's more about the time and trouble it would take to get a new one set up on my BES and to replace all of the programs etc.

That's why I always protect my BB. Usually with a case that includes a built-in screen protector. As far as scratches go, if I didn't have my screen protector/case, I probably would have gone through at least 3 BB's in the past year.

Personally, I would recommend either a case with a built in screen protector or seperate ones. My 2cents.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

I must say I love the idea about keeping it in a sock!
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

I take insanely good care of my stuff, and even then scratches and scuffs just happen. I would want my new BB to remain in that gorgeous pristine condition, too!

In the past, I've always gotten cases for my PDA's (but never for a phone). But now that I'm moving to BB, it's not just a phone, not even close, so I'll take care of it. However, as with previous kit I've had, I really miss holding the actual hardware in my hands, unobstructed by a coat, however nice.

For that matter, and for the benefit of others, the absolute nicest cases I've found anywhere are made by Vaja. Not only are they nice, those folks really design each case to be highly functional for each device. And, as with many things worth having, they are pricey and you wait a month or two for them to build it for you and ship it from Argentina. I'm not here to promote any particular companies, but when you find something that works (really well) you stick with it and want to let others know.

Now, having said all that, I still don't want to hide my BB away, so I'm drawn to the "sock" / sleeve. I've seen many different nice versions, similar to those fancy iPod socks.

• Does anyone have further first impressions of the case included in the BB box?
    • iMacj-does that leather holster come in the box?

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I love screenpatronus's screen protectors, can't even tell they're on.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

My pearl did not come with a case. I had to pay an extra $50 to get one but it was a bundled set wit a car charger a bt headset. For me, a case is a must have! I work in Landscape Supply and I'm always dragging large trees around. I haven't purchased a screen protector, YET, but I plan on it soon. Like it was said before, my BB is a big investment and I would hate to have to take the time to find and dl all the programs, etc OTA again.

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

Oh and for what its worth, I hear BSE make great screen/case protectors.

Thanks Joe & McGowan.

FWIW, I've used BoxWave screen protectors for other devices and have always been pleased: easy application, thicker than others I've tried. It may be that a different protector is better with a screen which does not have a stylus cruising across it day-in day-out. (Yippee, I can't wait on that front either! )

mcgowan08 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

Zentient,

My 8800 came with a blackberry leather flip top case. It's actually pretty decent. On my 8700 I really liked Seidio's skin and the clip that fit the phone with the skin. I think this time around I'm going to get Seidio's skin that they developed for the pearl when it comes out for the 8800. However, I'm going to use the case that came with the phone in conjunction with the Seidio skin instead of purchasing Seidio's clip to go with it. I really like the looks of the Seidio skin for the pearl, it's only 1 mm thick! Probably the most protection you can get in the best looking package. I'm definitely going to check out Vaja though.

Thanks mcgowan, I'm familiar with the clips from the 72xx range, which were good functionally. The 72xx's had a very durable surface, so putting them in and out of the holster/clip didn't bother them, but I wonder what will happen with the 8800's shinier surface. Or perhaps that's what the skin is for?

digitalslack no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23D1981A

screen protectors are super cheap and a worth it if you consider the costs of a Blackberry.
    i got a bunch of great screen protectors on eBay for a few bucks
    i don't know why anyone would not want to use them.

nimocone no está en línea Stack level 3

And if I were to buy one used, I'd be much happier to get one without a lot of dings and scratches.

iMacj no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3070F784

zentient:
    Unfortunately my Pearl did not include a case or holter of any kind. I bought the leather case out of desperation in an airport no less. You know, those stores you may have passed saying, why would anyone buy anything there at those prices? LOL!

I had m Pearl a day and had to hit the road for work. Almost dropped it out of my shirt pocket and went straight in and bought it. It is a BlackBerry brand accessory. I didn't want to by generic because the magnet embedded in the case is actually to put the screen to sleep, as well as beign able to answer or hang up calls when you take it out or put back in according to how ou set up your Options.
    It ran me $40.00. I always used the plastic holter, with magnet and swivel clip on the 7230. So, I went the similar route with the Pearl.
    I don't use a screen protector because I can't imagine those tings staying put while using the BB leather case.

The same case I paid $40.00 for can be found on eBay for about $10.00. However, I would strongly reccommend the case you pick has the BB NAME on it. :-)

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by zentient
    • Do you really need a screen protector for the BB 8800?
    • Will keeping it in a case or sock/bag eliminate the need for a screen protector?

I've used 72xx BB's at work and never used a screen protector, and I was surprised that the screens on that series never got scratched; they only retained a seemingly permanent sheen of finger grease.
    Yes -- you do need screen protectors on newer models. If you look you'll see that the 72XX and older devices had recessed screens. The newer screens aren't recessed and the plastic scratches very easily -- especially if you're using a plastic holster.

If you're looking for something very minimal to cosmetically protect your Blackberry, the Invisible Shield full body protectors are very good. It takes a lot of patience to correctly install them but it's difficult to tell that anything is on your Blackberry. It won't offer any impact protection but most skins don't anyway.

Vaja's cases are gorgeous but they don't fit my needs. I really prefer RIM's holsters (and the IS works well with them). My wife has a flip cover Vaja for her 8700c but she carries hers in her purse so it works well for her.
    Last edited by takeshi; 03-13-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast