Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by desjones571 My advice is to wait people. You are gonna be sick ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

oxide-tones no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2058FAF3

Re: Blackberry 8820 (w/ WIFI) Feature comparison & Launch dates.

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by desjones571
    My advice is to wait people. You are gonna be sick if you get the 8800 and then later they come out with one with more features.
    then we sell the 8800 and buy the 8820

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I have sprint too and my 8703e is working fine for me. I do no see any reason to switch at this point. I am going to wait on the 9xxx series bwfor I jump off of this one.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    3G

Great info as always Hayden. WiFi will be a huge reason to pull me from my 8730e, by the time (if it releases on VZW, I'll be able to upgrade with a discounted price...possibly making the new release more affordable!

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3

The Pregnant Pearl (ie 8800) has to have WiFi to play with, even if it doesn't work that well (see the Dash). And BT stereo too, but I think the Pearl is capable of that. Screw GPS, I can find my way thank you.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

husnain1 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by hayden
    For some of us BlackBerry users, news of a WiFi 88xx BlackBerry is always more than welcome. Although, the 8800 stacked against the 8700 features a ton of new features even without Wifi. However, for me it willl take WiFi to pull me away from my 8700g. This will GREATLY enhance my away-from-desk but within office building productivity. Especially when using Remote Desktop, VNC, Telnet and SSH applications that I currently use over GPRS. Also here in Antigua we have island wide WiFi service where I can pull over and log on to the WiFi service with 75% island coverage. When using Idokorro's Remote Desktop for servers and Telneting to routers that I maintain it will be a dream. Not to mention when traveling; being able to work via WiFi Hotspots will be a huge plus for Network Engineers and IT Techs. Most 8700 users won't need WiFi and so you can pick up the 8800 next week and it will be a GREAT upgrade.

For the record, the 8800 originally should have launched WITH WiFi but RIM ran into issues with this feature and so there will be two launches. The first 8800 (w/o WiFi) and the 8820 (w/ WiFi). The expected dates for the 8820 release being May/June 07' hopefully sooner and esp before the launch of Apple's iPhone. Although, in fact they shouldn't be compared but in actuality the iPhone does affect RIM's stock. Possibly less in future as the corporate world begins to learn the different Market targets of both devices.

Attached is a comparison chart of the 8820 against the 8700. So far, the only additional feature over the 8800 is WiFi.
    hayden as usual is right and on top of things

melerant no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    32C029E1

Quote Originally Posted by seig0088
    Its doubtful that Skype'll ever fully embrace a mobile version of their software 'cuz it'll likely cause a few discrepencies between them and the carriers. I say this due to the fact that if you place a call through Skype, they're getting paid for the call, not the carrier. VOIP is probably one of the major contributing factors as to why most phones don't come stock with wifi.
    Try it out. http://www.webmessenger.com/pd/skype/rim/40/IM_Main.jad
    It also has an instant messenger program, and this is the ota free trial.
    Ladies and Gentleman we are floating in space....
    "God didn't do that, you did that you fat @#$%"

tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2

Honestly i think the wifi chipset is in the phone..... Its just disabled. I know there are plenty of carrier branded phones that had certain features disabled but could be activated..... Just like the theme unlocking, you can unlocked the wifi.

It just doesnt make since to have two different rf boards in the same form factor.

NONCHALANT no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B0E0E

8800 is just to bring in new BB customers. Pearl wasn't created wit full keyboard.. To a noob this device is like crack and to us its really nothin without all the fetures we grown to love and expect... Some of us will even look down on it. But like I said for a noobie its like a new world..

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    It just doesnt make since to have two different rf boards in the same form factor.
    Unless the 8800 was rushed and the parts were omitted. It sounds like they were from what one user said after disassembling one but that there was space for the requisite parts.

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

i don't think those specs are accurate.

i wan't to say that 3g will be available on the next blackberry released.

Aroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24431D74

Originally Posted by desjones571
    My advice is to wait people. You are gonna be sick if you get the 8800 and then later they come out with one with more features.
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide-tones
    then we sell the 8800 and buy the 8820
    Precisely! These aren't expensive purchases for something used day-in and day-out. Lots of people buy new cars or clothes more frequently than I do. I don't question their purchases. A BB costs peanuts compared to that.

If the features are worthwhile, we upgrade. If not, we stay. Sounds like some people are just jealous or some people are trying to make value judgements for others as a attempt at self-reassurance due to being unable to justify the upgrade themselves. If either case is true then that is quite juvenile.

And some people just like that "new electronics" smell. Sort of like "new car" scent I suppose. Unfortunately the former is not sold and bottled (yet!).

rtrott01 no está en línea Stack level 1

Just got my 8800 today. You might as well add GPS to your list of differences between 8800 and 8820.....Unless I am missing something, it aint here.

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Thanks, this helps to confirm my original post.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Thanks Hayden, I appreciate your terrific contributions here on the forum.

WiFi is at the top of my priorities. I use it everwhere, at the office, at home & on the road. I travel for work here in California & meet my clients at Starbucks were they also have WiFi.

I still purchased an 8800 on the day it was released as I had to see if the keyboard would work for me. That was the only problem with my 8700.

I'm happy to report the new keyboard on the 8800 is really good. So I will use it until the WiFi model is released.

I have a friend waiting to buy this one, so then I will get the WiFi model.

Cheers

djb
    djb no está en línea Stack level 1

** ROGERS MAY DISABLE 802.11b/g browsing !!! ****

Quote Originally Posted by wildeagle
    I just got an invite from my Rogers sale rep to a Rim/Rogers release party of the 8800 on March 2nd. When I asked about the WiFi he said the model they are releasing does have it.
    Looks like I will have to wait 2 weeks to get my hands on this bad boy and see if I prefer the mouse or the wheel
    Just got off phone with Rogers BB tech. He raised the possibility that ROGERS may LOCK OUT 802.11b/g functionality leaving only select WIFI connectivity (i.e., downtown, trainstations, etc). I was UNAWARE WI-FI and 802.11x were different. He says you may NOT be able to roam around your house or business and browse/connect to the internet wirelessly, and avoid paying them the rapacious data fees they love to charge us!

Is this true? Is this possible? What's the point of WI-Fi if they can disable 802.11 like that!??

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast