You are welcome!!! Cheers!!... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

fbriceno97 Guest

Re: Blackberry 8800 unlock procedure by Cingular

Advertisement

You are welcome!!!

Cheers!!

kobik no está en línea Stack level 1

A word for the wise.....you paid for your Blackberry, so protect your investment. DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!!! Sometimes, we look for "shortcuts" that take longer to accomplish and see through, and may not even work, than if we just did things the right way.

I paid 300 Pounds (about $600) for my Blackberry 8800 from O2 (England). I wanted to get it unlocked and have been seaching the forums for answers. Today I just decided to call customer service and that was it. I have to pay 15 pounds (about the same price I would pay if I went to a corner store to have it unlocked which no one can) and wait 28 days manimum but other than that, I know I'm using the correct code for my IMEI number. Now, I just have to wait to receive the email (which she says could be within the next 5 days) and my phone is unlocked.

Do it the right way, call your carrier and request it. There are no shortcuts and it's probably cheaper this way.

fbriceno97 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kobik
    A word for the wise.....you paid for your Blackberry, so protect your investment. DO IT THE RIGHT WAY!!! Sometimes, we look for "shortcuts" that take longer to accomplish and see through, and may not even work, than if we just did things the right way.

I paid 300 Pounds (about $600) for my Blackberry 8800 from O2 (England). I wanted to get it unlocked and have been seaching the forums for answers. Today I just decided to call customer service and that was it. I have to pay 15 pounds (about the same price I would pay if I went to a corner store to have it unlocked which no one can) and wait 28 days manimum but other than that, I know I'm using the correct code for my IMEI number. Now, I just have to wait to receive the email (which she says could be within the next 5 days) and my phone is unlocked.

Do it the right way, call your carrier and request it. There are no shortcuts and it's probably cheaper this way.
    I respect your point, but there are cases as mine as we want to have a phone that it is not currently offered by our providers, and the best option is to buy it unlocked or pay for a unlock service once the phone arrive.

Ps: in my case my 8800 was a present and paying $50 bucks to get it unlcoked was not a big deal.

Cheers

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by kobik
    It's not always an option for those that purchase a device unsubsidized from a carrier (without an account with the carrier). In any case, a reputable unlocking service is just as "right". An unlock code is an unlock code. If you have two identical unlock codes, neither is more "right" than the other. They're just numbers.
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-07-2007 at 12:35 PM.

PIN/ID

so short of sticking another sim card in the 8800 how do you know your device is unlocked? since after typing MEPD you don't see anything else on the screen

PIN/ID

In other word how do you know that the unlock process for an 8800 cingular was succesfull, I dont have nother non cingualr sim card to test

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Same as on any BB. Options->Advanced Options->SIM Card, type in MEPD. If it's unlocked it will; say Disabled next to Network.

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~it says disabled next to all the options does that also mean its unlocked? Sorry if i keep asking its just the unlocking process sucks because it does not tell you if you did it correctly or not and you only have five times before its locked forever.

PIN/ID

Yeap, it is unlocked, I tried a TMO sim card today. But I gotta tell you, they need to come up with better screen prompts for that unlocking process. Thanks for the help

jhirley no está en línea Stack level 1

Folks,

Silly

jhirley no está en línea Stack level 1

Folks,

Silly question, Why would you want to unlock your phone ? What does that buy you for what features does it open up ? Everyone seems very eager to do it , but I am not sure as to why ?

In a room full of blind men , the one eyed man is king.
    Cheers.

PIN/ID

I "need" my phone to be unlocked as I do some international travelling and using locally purchsed SIM cards saves me a lot of money. However, as you know nothing is free of pitfalls, and the one here is that you will not be able to get data connections and therefore you will loose BES and BIS along with internet access. What I do, is keep my U.S. SIM card and pop it in few times per day to get those emails (since roaming data is cheap) then switch back to the local SIM to make voice calls (the expensive part of roaming)

luv_lee14 no está en línea Stack level 1

Just call the contact center..

Quote Originally Posted by JaeDee64 View Post
    What did you tell them to convince them to give you the unlock code?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I bought my phone off ebay.. it was locked to cingular... i didnt have a contract or anything with them... I called and the first thing i said was I need an unlock code for my blackberry.. and he said yes i can forsure help you with getting that.. then he opened up a technical request form for unlock got my email phone number everything... then he asked me the IMEI and told me he needs proof that own it.. and i told him i bought it off ebay so he didnt need proof anymore.. he then said that they will email me the code within 7 days.

Its because of that law that was passed that when you own a cell phone its your right to be able to unlock it so you can use it how you like..

It was also FREE!
    Last edited by luv_lee14; 08-01-2008 at 11:56 AM.

pbent no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242DA52A
    I just called T-Mobile and was sent through to the BB tech support. The lady was soo sweet.. I simply told her that I was a happy t-mo customer that was planning a vacation to Italy(which I am) and I wanted instructions on unlocking my 8800 so I can use an international sim. She said "sure! All I need is your imei number and we can get the ball rolling!" So I gave it to her along with my email address so that I can get the instructions and unlock code. Said to expect it within 24 hours..

Hope it works!

pbent no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242DA52A
    Just got the email from tech support.. Couldn't have been easier.. Now my baby is free of its chains and ready to try out that att network!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast