Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hiya-with tmo, you have to have an active acct for at least 90 days to ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

tmotechgrl no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Blackberry 8800 unlock procedure by Cingular

Advertisement

Hiya-with tmo, you have to have an active acct for at least 90 days to request the code, unless you've purchased the phone at full cost.The code IS based on your IMEI and we asked for it for accuracy. There is no requirement, ie, no reason to make up a story about going overseas if your not. It takes about 24 hours to get the code in an email with the unlocking instructions. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by paresh1506
    Not sure if this is generally the case, but atleast in my case, this is not true. I have this service for almost like 20-25 days, but they still activated international roaming on my phone and gave me the unlock code instantly. Even though Cingular's website say that it might take 5-7 days for them to give the code, I got lucky. The rep told me that he has some instructions on his system which worked for me.
    Your credit can affect Cingular's decision in such a case.

Quote Originally Posted by paresh1506
    In case of my BB8800, atleast I did not provide the IMEI to Cingular. If they already had it in their system is a different thing. But then my question is, why do most of the carriers ask for IMEI if they have already verified your identity and have the IMEI # in their system?
    They need to verify the IMEI. What's in their system isn't always correct.

joe90 no está en línea Stack level 1

be very careful how many times you try the code.it works for vodafone uk but each bb has its own individual code,i bought a unlocked bb off a lady who works for vodafone high up as well,who said and i got it in writing as well, that we never at vodafone uk lock our phones to the network.2 months down the line i have a locked bb unable to use it when i am travelling round,it said in the ebay ad it was unlocked and i think she believed it was unlocked.hahhahhhahhhahhhhhahhhhahhhhhahhaaaa what a hahahahhahahah i dont think so:cry:

lilmac no está en línea Stack level 1

A law has passed that Cingular has to give your unlock code if you ask for it. Because if you have allready purchased a phone that can work on a different provider you should be able to use it at a different provider. And this goes for any provider. Just be nice and they will give it to you right then. If not that can give you the run around and say that they will contact you later with the number. JUST BE NICE.
    Last edited by lilmac; 04-12-2007 at 03:16 PM.

hidea no está en línea Stack level 1

do you think the procedure would only work with Cingular phones? What if it's a Rogers phone? I kinda need to bring this phone to Singapore, and Rogers (being a Robers), won't give me the unlock code at all .

jrhertel no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249E1B23

I just called Cingular for my unlock code and had no issues. Was told that it takes 3-5 business days and once it goes through I'll receive an email with instructions and the code.

hidea no está en línea Stack level 1

So... does anyone know if I can unlock the 8800 Rogers, through Cingular?

Joey Ruff no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f52e12

DMCA Exemptions Allow You to Unlock Cell Phones

the Register of Copyrights released the latest list of exemptions to 1998's Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and along with it, some welcome news for cell phone users. Of the six proposed exemptions (the largest number to date), the one that arguably affects U.S. consumers the most is number five on the list, which covers: "Computer programs in the form of firmware that enable wireless telephone handsets to connect to a wireless telephone communication network, when circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of lawfully connecting to a wireless telephone communication network."

In other words, it is now permissible for anyone to "unlock" a phone tied to one network and use it with another; as long as they own the phone.

Supporters of the new exemptions are hoping that the new Democratic Congress will eventually support legislation to reform the DMCA and make these and future exemptions permanent. Historically, the Democratic record for going against the telecommunications industry is not much different from the GOP's, however.
    The DMCA, which was passed on October 8, 1998 and ratified by President Clinton later that month, criminalizes "the production and dissemination of technology whose primary purpose is to circumvent measures taken to protect copyright, not merely infringement of copyright itself." The act also increases the penalties for copyright infringement on the Internet.

It does not matter what you tell them. " Give me my unlock code now" will do just fine for now.

fbriceno97 Guest

Hi, i paid $50.00 to get the unlock code directly from RIM.

It worked just perfect!

ps: i tried cheaper services ($15.00) but my IMEI was not listed on the cingular unlock database

Regards
    Felix Briceno

sxelexe no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23f9e91b

you can get unlock codes for pretty much all devices. cingulars policy is 90 days after purchase with active servie. but the key like said before is.....be nice. and never attempt more than a few times or you weill lock your device up!!

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by hidea
    So... does anyone know if I can unlock the 8800 Rogers, through Cingular?
    You can't. The unlock procedure is the same for all Blackberries but you have to get the code from your device's carrier or a third party service. Each code is unique to each device and carrier. Cingular can't help you if you have a Rogers 8800.

The whole reason subsidy locks exist is to help enforce the carrier contracts. They wouldn't do much good if other carriers could unlock another carrier's device. Though, really, the subsidy locks aren't much a deterrent since there are obviously ways to bypass them.
    Last edited by takeshi; 04-19-2007 at 04:46 PM.

PIN/ID
    249E1B23

I called cingular and got an unlock code from them. I tried it using these directions but I do not see the option to disable my SIM. I did it with my SIM pulled but the "mped" does not bring up more options. Any suggestions?

fbriceno97 Guest

BlackBerry 8800

Step Action
    1 Insert SIM into device
    2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY
    IMPORTANT.
    3 Select "Options" THEN SELECT ADVANCED OPTIONS
    4 Scroll down and select "SIM Card"
    5 Type "MEPD" (please note that you will not see what you type on the
    screen)
    6 Type "MEP2"
    7 Enter the Unlock Code Given by Cingular
    8 Press enter
    9 Reboot device. Device is now

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Unlocked!

Regards
    Felix Briceńo
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by fbriceno97; 04-21-2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Fiasco no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20D434D0

Unlocked here too, of course you must follow the instructions to the letter. You only get 5 attempts, then it's locked to the carrier for good.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhertel
    I called cingular and got an unlock code from them. I tried it using these directions but I do not see the option to disable my SIM. I did it with my SIM pulled but the "mped" does not bring up more options. Any suggestions?
    1. SIM card must be in the phone.

2. type MEPD not MPED, the order of the letters is somewhat important for this to work.
    Last edited by Fiasco; 04-21-2007 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged.
    "Be fair. Forgive. Be inspired. Inspire others."

PIN/ID
    249E1B23

Quote Originally Posted by fbriceno97
    BlackBerry 8800

Step Action
    1 Insert SIM into device
    2 Power phone on and Turn off the radio (Turn Wireless Off option) VERY
    IMPORTANT.
    3 Select "Options" THEN SELECT ADVANCED OPTIONS