View Poll Results: Tmo 8800 overpriced

Voters
82. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes

    56 68.29%
  • no its just right

    13 15.85%
  • Im going to cingular to get one

    6 7.32%
  • Im waiting for the 8320 anyways, even though it going to 700 dollars

    7 8.54%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ 8300 baby!... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

  1. #16
    I7oobie's Avatar
    I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,563

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Advertisement



    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    8300 baby!

  2. #17
    dcla's Avatar
    dcla no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    I was weirdly relieved that the price was so high. I know I'll just flip to the 8320 in a month or so when that's released, so the price was prohibitively high enough to give me the discipline I wouldn't normally have for wanting the newest and best. So my Pearl will have to wait another month before being mothballed.

  3. #18
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    Its not competitive to sell the same phone that 5 other carriers have at a higher price.

    And people have been going to Cingular to get a 8800, because its cheaper. 550 for a camera less, wider pearl is not competitive or smart economics, its just plain stupid. The upgrade price is 475 unless you haven't bought a phone in 2 years.

    Someone tell me what is the difference of the 8800 to the pearl in terms of features besides gps?? The phone even has the same processor as the pearl!!

    What will be funny is that they sell the 8800 for this price and the 8320 will be 150 dollars cheaper, now that would be funny and only then people would be like why did I pay so much for a phone thats just like the pearl, but no camera and its wider

    OK.. here you go! First of all - Who are the five carriers selling the 8800? It is competitive if your customers will pay it! What seems to be getting lost here is that T-Mobile price their devices on several factors. Keep in mind, at first they were not even going to pick up the 8800 but the sheer volume of requests for it is what forced the issue. Their plan is price this higher for those who truly want it, keep inventory low, and release their own multi-media device with even more features sooner than later. But if you think that the 83xx is going to be less expensive - think again! That's where their investment dollars are going! If the demand for the 8800 grows, then as a result of basic supply and demand, their price will begin to drop. Or, simply don't buy it and then they will have to drop the price to sell off the inventory... but rest assured, they won't support it or order anymore for production. Let's all remember when 60 inch LCD or plasma TV's where all $9,000!!! That was certainly not to rip off the consumer! The demand was low, production costs were high, so early adopters paid the price. Don't want it? Just don't buy it...but we all have to avoid blaming the laws of economics! That's the way business works! By the way people! Want lower gas prices?? Stop buying gasoline and then watch the oil companies lower prices in response to excess inventory!! Not gonna happen though is it?

    Next: Yes wider for the following reasons:

    1) Full qwerty keyboard
    2) Wide screen high resolution graphics
    3) GPS
    4) Improved Options and Settings
    5) It's NEW!! And we phone geeks love new!! (carriers all know that!!) LOL

    Let's face it...the cameras on phones are mostly 1.3 megapixels with poor resolution, poor color, and lack stability and focus. The GPS that takes its place is as good (using Telenav not BB Maps) as anything you may buy for your car.

    The 8320 wont be $150 less expensive...rest assured! If youre hoping for that then you may as well stick with the pearl IT TOO IS A GREAT PHONE! Take a look at the price for the 8700... it's been $399 forever and with a contract is still $199 - same price as the pearl. Thats the 8700!! Never going to get a new release at that same price.

    I love this spirited debate! We all obviously, have way too much time on our hands!

  4. #19
    2-4Trippin's Avatar
    2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    103

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Quote Originally Posted by bglawrence
    ...I think everyone needs to understand that it's a business and no one is trying to be "greedy". "What the market will bare" - basic of economics 101 guys...
    Whoa, Whoa, Whoa there partner!

    'paging MR. LAWRENCE, paging MR. LAWRENCE!!!'

    'PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE TMO KOOL-AID, PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE TMO KOOL-AID' The whites of your eyes have turned completely PINK!

    As the No.4 carrier in the US, wouldn't moving beyond the current wireless business model of hoe'n out your latest hardware to attract new customers and serve short-term profit, be better served by building their loyal high-end user base, rather that forcing them to 'negotiate' with CS agents to show they are worthy?!

    ***Imagine this email ding-a-linging into your Berry:

    Dear TMO BlackBerry Customer,

    As a valued BlackBerry user, TMO would like to offer you first access and special pricing for our new 9000 series Blackberry. This pricing will be $50 less than the best current internet pricing from our competitors, and you will be the first to receive the 9000.

    Our management team has finally realized that with the floundering of Motorola and Nokia consumer products, the future of all cell phones are 'smart phones' like the BlackBerry. As an early implementor of the BlackBerry, we feel we should reward your loyalty, as you will, with the power of the internet, spread the word of your extreme satisfaction with TMO, the gloriousness of the BlackBerry, and far exceed the insignificant $50 credit we offer you today.

    Our management team now sees the light: short term profit is a silly trade-off... for long term growth and loyalty

    -Thank you for your support, The TMO Team


    After all, isn't EVERY carrier in a mad scramble to grab other carriers users, and tie them into new contracts?!

    So... Mr Lawrence, do we move beyond 'basic economics 101', and hope that TMO executives have finally finished ECON 401?!!

    Am I crazy? Discuss...

  5. #20
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Nope! Not Crazy at all! That could be a very interesting marketing plan but not a very profitabel one that stockholders may grab onto! Unfortuantely, today's CEO's are driven by stock price as much as they customer satisfaction and they must walk a fine line of profitability while building brand loyalty. Tough job - which is why they makes the big bucks. Question: How would you determine who gets the special, royal treatment? The world is built on relationships and brand loyalty. Much easier to find those without those factors first. Tearing down pre-existing relationships is the toughest part. They want to bring you over indeed, which is why new contracts usually get the best deal of all. Send your email to the CEO of RIM and Tmobile for a response. Love to see the answer!

    And so the ware of "profits" vs. "marketing and branding" goes on! Cheers

  6. #21
    JayceeBBerry's Avatar
    JayceeBBerry no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PIN/ID
    23f2fc08
    Posts
    14

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    T mobile is trying to keep up with the big boy because they are the smallest cell phone company in USA
    DJayCee (((( Spin Doc )))) Mr.Exclusive

  7. #22
    tdawg's Avatar
    tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2
    Posts
    544

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Cingular, vodaphone, Rogers, tmobile UK. And some other overseas carrier. Btw I was being sarcastic. Again the 8800 is not worth 550. Maybe 5 year ago. But not 2007
    Its crazy to think otherwise. Your tryin to compete with cing and your charging 100 dollars more... Blah..... Whatever

  8. #23
    jloverg's Avatar
    jloverg no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    263

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    if TMO want to be competitive with the other big carriers i dont think over pricing a phone will be a good move in that sector it seems like when they were pricing that phone Mr. Vodka and Mrs Alize was on table.

  9. #24
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Quote Originally Posted by tdawg
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Cingular, vodaphone, Rogers, tmobile UK. And some other overseas carrier. Btw I was being sarcastic. Again the 8800 is not worth 550. Maybe 5 year ago. But not 2007
    Its crazy to think otherwise. Your tryin to compete with cing and your charging 100 dollars more... Blah..... Whatever
    Ah..ok Overseas included. But not sure I follow you here. Cingular's straight outright price is 500 as well? You keep saying $550 but thats without a contract. And by the way...I'm not charging anything LOL. Wish I was. The point is everyone is making broad stroke judgements about how any carrier prices the equipment without the research they have in front of them. Like someone said earlier..you have to consdier the cost of the plans, as well as the phone. The $50 more you spend with Tmo for the BB would be saved in a few months when you take in account the plans available. K.. I'm done with this one too! The beauty of being able to have and voice one's opinions! I LOVE democracy! Best to you!!

  10. #25
    tdawg's Avatar
    tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2
    Posts
    544

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Quote Originally Posted by bglawrence
    Ah..ok Overseas included. But not sure I follow you here. Cingular's straight outright price is 500 as well? You keep saying $550 but thats without a contract. And by the way...I'm not charging anything LOL. Wish I was. The point is everyone is making broad stroke judgements about how any carrier prices the equipment without the research they have in front of them. Like someone said earlier..you have to consdier the cost of the plans, as well as the phone. The $50 more you spend with Tmo for the BB would be saved in a few months when you take in account the plans available. K.. I'm done with this one too! The beauty of being able to have and voice one's opinions! I LOVE democracy! Best to you!!
    Thats is the point 50 dollars more for the same phone. And its not about how much the plans are, because tmo and cingular plans contain different aspects including cingular included mobile to mobile and much larger coverage.... I didnt say you was charging anything, "your" being tmobile usa. Cingular upgrade price is cheaper.

    From what your saying, tmobile can charge whatever they want for phones because their plans are cheaper than the rest.... So if they charge 1000 for a phone than its justifed because your paying 50 dollars for you plan.

    But everything else aside I see your point but at the same time this is first time I seen something like this from tmo so they must be cooking something up.

  11. #26
    jloverg's Avatar
    jloverg no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    PIN/ID
    ask
    Posts
    263

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Lawrence common dude just admit it its overprice i bet you if you would of wait at least a month its going to be sale for about half what you paid for it because once all those lawsuit settle with iphone the price will be about half that when i will upgrade or wait for 83xx

  12. #27
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    actually coverage is the same since Tmo uses all the Cingular towers and vice versa in duality agreements. In fact all the GMS companies do (which is why the worst rates come from Verizon..they can only share with Sprint..and we all know that story! LOL. OK. UNCLE!!! I have enjoyed this tDawg! Nothing ever gets accomplished without conversations like ours! Youre a good man! Good luck with whatever you end up with. Ironically, my second 8800 arrived from Tmo today! Had the cingy one too..just didnt like the blue casing, nor the cingular brnading. As you can see I am pretty brand loyal buts that because I am a marketing consultant by trade! Best to you!

  13. #28
    bglawrence's Avatar
    bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Posts
    312

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    actually coverage is the same since Tmo uses all the Cingular towers and vice versa in duality agreements. In fact all the GMS companies do (which is why the worst rates come from Verizon..they can only share with Sprint..and we all know that story! LOL. OK. UNCLE!!! I have enjoyed this tDawg! Nothing ever gets accomplished without conversations like ours! Youre a good man! Good luck with whatever you end up with. Ironically, my second 8800 arrived from Tmo today! Had the cingy one too..just didnt like the blue casing, nor the cingular brnading. As you can see I am pretty brand loyal buts that because I am a marketing consultant by trade! Best to you!

  14. #29
    teleberry's Avatar
    teleberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PIN/ID
    23F8AB7F
    Posts
    92

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    I disagree with coverage being the same. I definitly see differences in signal strength and data coverage between tmo and cingular. I use tmo because there are large areas I frequent where cingular doesn't work. I also definitly lose some areas of reception in Denver where I can look at my tmo 8100 next to my GF's cingular 8800 and she has 4 bars and I have 1. fortunatly, so far one bar is enough...

  15. #30
    tdawg's Avatar
    tdawg no está en línea Stack level 4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    PIN/ID
    241F06A2
    Posts
    544

    Re: Blackberry 8800 tmo version *overpriced*

    Quote Originally Posted by bglawrence
    actually coverage is the same since Tmo uses all the Cingular towers and vice versa in duality agreements. In fact all the GMS companies do (which is why the worst rates come from Verizon..they can only share with Sprint..and we all know that story! LOL. OK. UNCLE!!! I have enjoyed this tDawg! Nothing ever gets accomplished without conversations like ours! Youre a good man! Good luck with whatever you end up with. Ironically, my second 8800 arrived from Tmo today! Had the cingy one too..just didnt like the blue casing, nor the cingular brnading. As you can see I am pretty brand loyal buts that because I am a marketing consultant by trade! Best to you!
    I didnt know Cingular and tmo had a 100 percent 2 way roaming agreement.... Wait a min they dont. There is only roaming agreements in areas with less than 90 percent of the population is covered by licensing agreements.......

    Its not like if I lose signal and then the phone finds a gsm tower and just hooks on.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •