View Poll Results: Do you think BlackBerry will maintain it's QWERTY market share?

Voters
232. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes.

203 87.50%
  • No

15 6.47%
  • Not sure.

14 6.03%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I am a lone voice inthe wilderness here, so bear with me as I present ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

auramae no está en línea Stack level 1

Advertisement

I am a lone voice inthe wilderness here, so bear with me as I present a different viewpoint. I am a small business owner. I do not have a server (I am not really sure I know what that is or if I am using the term correctly!) Here's why I will be choosing a PPC over the 8800 (I really thought I wanted the 8800 until I did some soul searching to decide what I really wanted/needed in my device).
    HSDPA speed. That's what it boils down to for me. If the 8800 had HSDPA, I would still be considering it. I tested the Blackjack at the Cingular store and got a ripping 980kbps on dslreports.com. What speeds can I expect with the 8800 if all it supports is EDGE? I never knew I was such a speed freak, but I have been "getting by" with 400-650kbps on Verizon's EVDO and I am intoxicated by the higher speeds.

SRPID no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E8F71F
    From what I understand, the 8800 does support the new high-speed 3G network HSPDA.

I have both a 8700c and a BlackJack right now and you are right. Even in Los Angeles I am getting some fast speeds with the BlackJack.

I tried the cingular pearl and it supports 3G. It's fast too. The 8800 is supposed to have the same technology.

We'll see. Regardless, I still may return the blackjack (test driving it for about a week now). I have to admit, it is a cool device. I have to reboot it 10 times a day, but it is a cool device nonetheless.

But if the 8800 is anything like the pearl, then the blackjack is going back, jack. LOL.

Cheers!
    SRPID

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba
    Btw aren't windows mob devices prone to more spyware, and other nasty things?

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D11279
    I will still say that it's very important to the success of this launch is the stores/people in the field.

If they are not completly educated on the newer phones. BB is going to get killed. Lets face it, windows is just something that people are just getting used to, whereas bb software is something new to most people out there.

I see phones all day that sell, and others that dont sell... Most of the time the ones that aren't selling isn't because they are bad phones. But, it's because they aren't "cool" or something like that to the person selling it. RIM, needs to look how this is going to be presented to the public and to the people in the field.

Dr. Woo

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90
    As a Notes/Domino shop, the Windows Mobile devices are a total non-issue for us, and a dead end for any of our users that want one. With no BBConnect functionality, they're simply not an option for people using something other than Exchange as their corporate mail system.

The BES solution is still the best push email system I've encountered.

Only things I see being an issue for RIM are basically of their own making. They need to make some major improvements in power consumption to increase battery life. I'm hoping the 8800 will use the standard C-S2 battery of the 8700's, not the low capacity one the Pearl is stuck with.

Also, they need to improve the native document viewing ability, and create or work closely with a 3rd party vendor to come up with a solid document editing package. This is one area that Win Mobile and Palm OS are still superior.

Speaking of Palm, RIM could only benefit if they got Palm to actually implement BB Connect on the Treo.

If the Moto devices are anything like the Q, they'll sell like hotcakes, and then people will complain about them and wonder why they bought one in the first place.

They need to keep camera free devices (with all the other improvements/add ons) in their lineup. I still think people don't get how big an issue that is for the business segment.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

6mickey no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    32B20881

Re: The BlackBerry 8800 - a lot rides on this launch!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I am a new comer to the superior Blackberry world. I love my phone (8703e). I will get the 8800 if it will come up with a better solution to 3rd party app..And to be able to create files and have a media player not just a mp3.RIM have a chance to get the edge on competators.

I like the way they came up with 2 different models but what u going to do sink or float. Example (700p or 700w) give us a choice.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Re: The BlackBerry 8800 - a lot rides on this launch!

my biggest problem with my BB is the document viewing/editing software or lack of ive had two BB's and the funny thing is ive always had a camera phone and didnt really use it but now that i dont have one i find myself always in need.

COJO 24 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23E89BE8

Re: BlackBerry 8800: a lot rides on this launch!

Well I'm going to agree with all of you and also say that in the future their will possibly be more suretype phones but at the same time there will be new QWERTY phones. This will probably go back and forth between models like the pearl and 8800 are doing. The same bb features and more will be added and overall the phones will stay on the top of the cell phone market.

Just my .02 cents,

COJO 24

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

True indeed I think they will stay afloat with the market. Last time I checked bbs still were priced fairly cheaper than a lot of the newer handsets that are coming out. Sticker shock will also have a lot to do with how bb will retain there market.

joe allen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32b09853

we have converted all but two of our treo users to the bb. the hold out is that ability to view and edit ms office documents out of the box, the camera, and the storage capability. i always read how much bb users don't like cameras on devices, but our treo users want them. they want to be able to store their pictures and documents on removable media. they also like that beaming feature. i used to have a palm and i will admit that the beam feature is very nice.
    Joe - 8703
    "Blackberryland is a much happier place than Palmville"

NONCHALANT no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    204B0E0E

Will the 8800 have beaming
    ?
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

oppiTronic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2529ab95

Toy or tool? What should be in there? In my opinion the number one feature should be battery life. I you really work with it, it needs to stay up as long a possible. Second it is not only email, it is live interaction with company applications using MDS or self-made stuff. Third, a lot of customers won't let you in with a mobile with integrated cam. And my cheap small digicam takes much better photos than any mobile.
    Finally security - the Blackberry is a data-safe. But with too few room, memory extension is a painful need. But only if the control over the data stays in the company, controlled by policies.
    I guess RIM needs to have to model lines: Fun and private and robust and secure. Anyway they already started that with the PEARL and the market supports this decision.
    Ah, and no beaming in the 8800 :-)
    Rumors say it gets launched in Spain this month...
    need a free tool to capture the Blackberry screen to your PC or even make a video?
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...tml#post163127

bbcat no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2835A200

I would like to think that we need good, knowledgeable support people and not just great devices. Thus far, my experience with Rogers techies could be best described so-so, and their sales people abysmal. I am sure RIM makes great devices but overall I think Rogers could sharp up and hire more techinically savvy people.

my .002 cent!!!
    "Do the Right Thing, Make your Mother Proud"

oppiTronic no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2529ab95

Lightbulb And finally here it is!

It is there, you can see it, feel it, love it...
    http://www.blackberry8800.com/

I want it,
    I want it,
    I want it,
    I want it,
    I want it,
    need a free tool to capture the Blackberry screen to your PC or even make a video?
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...tml#post163127

quotberry no está en línea Stack level 1

I am a Trio Expat and seeing why I converted (I still love Treo) may help. I loved my 650, even with the constant resets. I loved it mainly because of the flexibility to use it in all aspects of my life. I need the email, Internet and power but I also needed the "normal life stuff too." When I crunched my car the first thing I did was grab my Treo for pictures. Same for when I got to my daughter’s music recital too late to grab the video camera or wanted to record an overhead in class.

I also had a plan. I wanted to get rid of my home phone and Internet. I heard the new speeds allowed a tethered computer to be almost as fast anyway and it would save me 100 bucks a month in redundancy.

I always saw blackberry for business people who ONLY used there phone for work. But I needed my checkbook, my camera, my ability to take a voice memo and the ability to listen to music on a morning run and call 911 without carrying two thingamagigers.

So I waited for the new Treo and gagged on windows mobile. I looked at the 700p and sighed at an amazing phone held back by lack of OS improvements. So I looked tentatively at the pearl. It was gorgeous but the keyboard was funny and I wasn't sure edge could be fast enough for use as a regular modem. I knew BB had better email capabilities and similar organizational stuff to the Treo, but the pearl finally had the ability to play music, take pictures and add memory. I was also told BY A REP the BB didn’t have third party Apps! I also wasn't sold of the lack of touch screen, or having to remove the battery to add memory. But compared to the Treo I figured it would be affordable until Palm came out with a major upgrade in the next year or two. Plus it wasn't ugly!

So I tested it in the store five time (even used a reps) and I fell in love. I discovered some third party app and I don’t have those constant resets. Adding multi media is a huge deal for many people even if they hardy ever use it. The lack of multimedia held me back from TRYING the BB and the pearl removed that obstacle right at the time a lot of Treo users were getting disappointed. My crash sold me on a camera as something other than a fun device and I consider them necessities as well as safety devices. The 8800 will do for people that don't want to try suretype what the pearl did for people who didn't want to carry something ugly that wouldn't be as useful outside the office. The 8800 is gorgeous as well, just because it is serious business doesn’t mean it has to be ugly.

The only things this new direction is missing and things that could call me back to Treo if they ever got the stability of BB.

1. Touch screen (I love the trackball but want both… just in case the ball dies)
    2. Video recording (Hardly ever used but great in a pinch or for recording that robbery in the 7-11 )
    3. HSPDA (why have a home connection at all?)
    4. Easier access to SD card and ability to use it to hold additional applications that integrate with software already on the BB)
    5. Infared (allowed me to use a keyboard and still have blue tooth open for something else, as well as control my TV from my phone)
    6. More third party applications
    7. Better Mac syncing capabilities

Now if missing sync covers number 7 and the added consumers take care of number 4. 1-5 would be very easy for BB to cover and with the new styling no other device would be really able to compete. I want a whole life solution not just a work solution and BB is on the right track.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast