View Poll Results: Do you think BlackBerry will maintain it's QWERTY market share?

232. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Yes.

203 87.50%
  • No

15 6.47%
  • Not sure.

14 6.03%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unlike the BlackBerry 8100 Pearl , pics, specs and launch details of the BlackBerry 8800 ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod

BlackBerry 8800: a lot rides on this launch!

Unlike the BlackBerry 8100 Pearl, pics, specs and launch details of the BlackBerry 8800 slipped from RIM's grasp a lot sooner than most would expect. In fact, as early as August 8800 info started to trickle down. Then in September a host of photos hit the web by storm. Companies such as Samsung (Blackjack) and Motorola (Norman) were smiling ear-to-ear as it was just what they had hoped for!

RIM's original market, where they created the very first 'Crackberry' addicts was with QWERTY. Yes, it was their first phone-enabled qwerty 5810 that started it all back in early 2002. Recently with Samsung's Blackjack launched around the same time as RIM's Cingular Pearl and also before the Blackberry 8800 of which I've learnt will launch earlier than original plans. There’s a lot more details we've received as of yesterday, some surprising. However, PinStack’s aim is NOT to have Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, Microsoft etc smiling any more than they have been since August or before. We will only share what's already out there, at least until official launch dates are released.

A lot will be riding on the shoulders of the BlackBerry 8800 launch! RIM's QWERTY market share or the market share that Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, Microsoft etc are starving for is at a crucial point. BlackBerry's PUSH isn't as unique as in past years and the 8800 will have to deliver more than ever on the basics that RIM perfected in the 7200 and 8700 series; general reliability, OS stability, battery longevity, seamless email services, durability and ease of use. Once launched, will RIM maintain its grip on the QWERTY Corporate Market? Will they be able to compete with the Blackjack which seems to be drafting in consumers to the QWERTY market? How about the Motorola Norman will it make the jump to US shores or maybe after some modifications already in progress?

Let's compare the latest QWERTY market offerings with coming 8800's:

8800 leaked on the "net" September but most likely circulated weeks/months before.

8800 & Samsung Blackjack

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think something that shouldn't be over looked is BB's OS. While windows mobile is attractive to many consumers, its still slow, clunky, and incredibly unreliable. I believe this is something that will keep current customers and convert others who might be fed up with windows mobile.

Dirty Cash no está en línea Stack Pro
    My vote will always be with the BB!!! It's the hands down leader!

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think bb will still maintain its market and even increase with its release of the 8800.

I would have to say this based of off a couple factors. These days the average smartphone user in the consumer market needs functionality, a stable os, a great calender, and for the most a camera/mp3 player.

Bb has had these features, for quite awhile. And with the pearl recently added to the arsenal, it now puts rim, and now us (as users) in a whole new bracket with consumers.

Just as the pearl did, it drew a lot of attention back to rim products. I belive the 8800 will as well. Its nice to know that samsung, motorola, and nokia are trying to catch on. But in the end, as long as rim strives to to feed us crackberry users. I'm pretty sure even we alone will steer attention to rim, as passionate we are about our bb!

Ps. Crackberries Rule!!!

mdspriggs no está en línea Stack level 2
    ask me
    ~via BB ( believe the functionality and ergonomics of the BB's overshadow anything that the other manufaturers may have. The OS is much more user friendly and much less likely to "crash", as any windows mobile user will tell you. As long as RIM continues incorporate imaging, expansion slots, multimedia capability, etc. into the BB, I don't see why they could not gain even more marketshare! I switched from a windows mobile pda to the 8700, mainly because of the querty keyboard and stable OS.

oppiTronic no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (
    For companies the decision should be easy. A BB device is 24x7 secure connected to the company network and a 100% slave. It is the perfect mobile work device. No other device offers the same possibilities and security.
    It might now start to look stylish and like all the other toys, but it is value for the money with ROI.

chris93372 no está en línea Stack level 2

8800 vs WinMob & Palm

Companies still have the best integration with BES and calendaring, but it's tough to fight the WinMob juggernaut - Palm is just hanging on, and if it weren't for 3rd party apps from DataViz that allow it to read/edit Word/Excel attachments, it would have been history already. I wish there was a bundled product that RIM would offer that allows editing of MS Office docs - then it would be an absolute no-brainer for me. I'm using Palm OS now, and staving off the next Smartphone purchase until the 8800 comes out - I already know it will come down to the 8800 and a WinMob product....

CoolFinalFan no está en línea Stack level 4

Thumbs up

BlackBerry all the way!!

LLPRODENT no está en línea Stack level 3
    Bb All The Way Moto Is Good But There Phones Have So Many Problems Bb Bb Bb And Hurry Ha Ha
    A.S.A.P SOON

DrWoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    One of the things that you have to consider is this.....

In order for the "newer" blackberries to be successfull, people that in the field selling all of these phones have to be behind the product as well. RIM, is starting to shift is previous focus (bussiness customers) to the newer focus which is younger, soccer moms, and small bussiness owners.

You have to consider that the windows OS has been around on PDA's for a long time, (including before they were in phones). The windows OS while clunky, and generally unstable, is something that consumers have just "gotten used to".

Basically, the people in the field actually selling these things are the ones that are going to make or break the newer models of blackberries. I'm a blackberry owner, (8700c), I'm also a store manager of a cingular. So, while I will continue to sell blackberries over windows, I do think that not everyone will convert that easily. The addition of multimedia is a huge step in the right direction. But if the developers don't catch on, then it's doomed.

Just my .02

Dr. Woo

0siris no está en línea Stack level 2
    I think some of the... not really shortcomings... maybe design decisions is a better term... of the Blackberry are going to start coming into play. The Blackberry architecture still doesn't do file storage, there's no file structure for storing (for example) Excel Spreadsheets and PDF's. *And* to be able to attach these to emails right from the device itself...

I get several calls every week from I.T.-savvy people seeking this, as well as remote control/access software. All of that comes on a WinMob device out of the box. That's significant.

Significant *enough* to signal a sea change in market share? That I don't know. But as a Blackberry support rep, I hear just enough calls to consider that a chink in RIM's armor.

bcuzi8paintchips no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BCoop8184
    I think something that shouldn't be over looked is BB's OS. While windows mobile is attractive to many consumers, its still slow, clunky, and incredibly unreliable. I believe this is something that will keep current customers and convert others who might be fed up with windows mobile.
    I've NEVER had either slow OR reliability issues with the MS platform. I prefer the BB over MS due to its simplicity.

banker no está en línea Stack level 1
    Another thing to consider is that BES supports Lotus Domino as well as Exchange. Since my company uses Lotus Domino, we aren't going to purchase GoodLink in addition to BES just to support Windows Mobile devices. GoodLink just started supporting Domino this summer, so they are pretty late to the game IMO.

I have had trouble with ActiveSync with every Windows-based PDA or Smartphone I have ever used. I had trouble with Hotsync with the Treo 650 and with other Palm-based PDA's as well. Although ActiveSync and Hotsync have improved on stability over the years, the BB stuff "just works". I spend more time using it and less time tweaking it.

Another reason I think BB continues with a reasonable market share is that there is not that much difference in a Blackjack vs. a Q vs. Treo 700vxw vs. HTC vs. the 14 other Windows Mobile devices either on the market or soon to be on the market. Windows Mobile has turned Smartphones into the same game as PC's - Dell vs. HP vs. Gateway vs. IBM vs. eMachines, etc. They may have different cases and dimensions, but no matter which one you choose, they are all going to have similar capabilities and perform about the same until niche's develop - ie - entry-level, mid-range, high-end. BB offers differentiation in the OS and the way it works. If e-mail is just as rock-solid as its always been and some new capabilities are added to the 8800, I ask myself why would I need to switch or what would I be giving up by staying with a BB? I can't think of much, if anything.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    If they do feel that they have so much riding on this launch, then RIM will DEFINATELY go with TMobile to launch it first, since Cingular never has their ducks in a row when it comes to launching ANY new device.

sigmamason no está en línea Stack level 3
    Customers vote according to data access plan. Bring the plan to $19.99 for BIS and you will have a winner.
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast