I am new to this site and to the BlackBerry, but is it possible to ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

BlackBerry 8800

Advertisement

I am new to this site and to the BlackBerry, but is it possible to upgrade the 8800 to 3G? Software/Firmware? or will it have to be a new unit with the Hardware upgrade?
    Thanks for any information you may have.

likefre no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: BlackBerry 8800

Welcome OzzieDog,
    AFAIK, no, it's more of a hardware issue..

kasperapd no está en línea Stack level 3

The 8800 is only GPRS/EDGE capable. It can't be changed to 3G unless RIM releases a new version of it with that capability. Sorry.

I'm sure there will be a 3G device within the next year or so. Maybe sooner.

drummer12 no está en línea Stack level 3

Like previous posters have said, 3G capability is hardware, not software. Sorry...

Though, I do see why RIM may have held back. 3G GSM isn't everywhere yet (Cingular has limited coverage, and T-Mobile is just building it out), so it wouldn't make much sense to lock out carriers by default...

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Hello and welcome to the stacks! If there is anything else we can help you with, just let us know!

kceagan no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F269B2

Quote Originally Posted by drummer12
    Like previous posters have said, 3G capability is hardware, not software. Sorry...

Though, I do see why RIM may have held back. 3G GSM isn't everywhere yet (Cingular has limited coverage, and T-Mobile is just building it out), so it wouldn't make much sense to lock out carriers by default...
    I am a Retail Sales Manager for Cingular/AT&T and I just wanted to build on your previous comment regarding 3G devices. Even though Cingular/AT&T doesn't have 3G service everywhere, all of our 3G devices have GSM/GPRS/EDGE as a fallback network. So even if they come out with a 3G Blackberry and you were to travel into a non-3G area, you would still receive a voice/data connection. Hope this helps.

jcarter21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23f28da1

Can I ask where everyone is getting there info from in saying that 3G would need a hardware upgrade? In my experience in talking with Cingular reps, both in store and their over the phone smart device center, I've been told that it would take a simple RIM firmware upgrade...Anyon hear the same?

That is the same thing that the Tech People and Store reps at Cingular/AT&T are telling me, but I don't know if that is just to get me off the phone.
    I am glad I found this site so far it is the best with information and sounds more educated that some of the others I have done research on. Thanks for the tons of info.
    All info is greatly appreciated.

likefre no está en línea Stack level 4

No problem OzzieDog, let us know how we may assist you further..

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by jcarter21
    Can I ask where everyone is getting there info from in saying that 3G would need a hardware upgrade? In my experience in talking with Cingular reps, both in store and their over the phone smart device center, I've been told that it would take a simple RIM firmware upgrade...Anyon hear the same?
    From the device specs. It doesn't support the proper frequencies due to the hardware. I'd honestly be leery of trusting anything that carrier reps tell you without verification -- especially with Cingular...

As for 3G on a BB -- it's a moot point until the processors are upgraded. The CPU's ability to render pages is currently a bottleneck. You won't see any advantage with 3G using the current BB processor except when tethering.

Bubblez0163 no está en línea Stack level 2

I really hope this "OS upgrade" happens to get 3G, had the Treo 750 for 2 weeks and the speed was pretty good, I can only imagine on the BB...ahh to dream...but I'll buy a new BB if one comes available with Wi-Fi avec 3G..sweet...I know I'm crazy, BUT I love my gadgets!!

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB

I'm not sure an OS upgrade would work either. The radio on the BB needs to be able to pick up the 3G frequencies. But hey if an OS upgrade will do then YAY!!

Thats why I love this site, everyone is more helpful than the reps. Thanks for the good info. Keep up the good work. The posts are educated.

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    From the device specs. It doesn't support the proper frequencies due to the hardware. I'd honestly be leery of trusting anything that carrier reps tell you without verification -- especially with Cingular...

As for 3G on a BB -- it's a moot point until the processors are upgraded. The CPU's ability to render pages is currently a bottleneck. You won't see any advantage with 3G using the current BB processor except when tethering.
    I've meet some seriously misinformed (I'm being kind ) sales reps, but I can't believe they're actually saying you could make a device 3G with a software or firmware upgrade. It's beyond irresponsible!

I suspect, as takeshi pointed out, that moving a device to 3G would require new communications hardware, new processor hardware, probably a new batter and more than just a small update to the OS. I suspect that may be one reason why the 9xxx series is rumored to be coming with a "new OS".

For that matter, it's amazing to me that RIM hasn't done 3G already. It may not be widespread in the US, but it is common knowledge that the US mobile/carrier market has been technically lagging from the get-go (although it's catching up now). 3G is currently widespread in much of Europe (in populated areas, of which there are many) and assuming the device could handle it otherwise, there would be instant take-up. If anyone from RIM is listening, there's a world out there beyond North America, baby.