I just received a Blackberry 8800 through my company and I'm new to the device. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

rgnet1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Best way to check personal POP email?

Advertisement

I just received a Blackberry 8800 through my company and I'm new to the device. My work email is synced with Outlook Exchange and works fine, but was wondering what the best method is to check a personal POP mail account on it, too. I didn't want to mess with the in-built email client's settings, as it didn't appear immediately obvious that you can check multiple servers and keep the messages separated.

Is there something like a Thunderbird client for Blackberry?

Also, unrelated question: I was running around in circles trying to install Yahoo! Messenger on the device through the Blackberry Browser. There didn't appear to be a page I could get to that let me download it directly to the device. Does anyone have the exact URL?

Thanks!

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Re: Best way to check personal POP email?

Yahoo depends on which carrier you are with and the IT policy in place by your company. at&t does not currently support Yahoo Messenger (not sure which carrier you are on). As for checking your email, it depends on whether you want it coming directly to your phone or to check it through a web-mail client. If you want it directly to your phone and IT policy doesn't restrict it you can just add it as another email account on your phone. If you want to check it through web-mail you can just use the BB browser (again if the IT policy doesn't restrict it) and check it as if you were on your comp. You can then save the log-in page as a bookmark to come back to it quicker.

Zo

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

"Best", as usual, depends on your needs. In most cases, integating the POP account with BIS is the best apporach but this may or may not be possible depending on any IT policies that your BES admin has in place. BlackberryFAQ.com outlines a number of methods of getting email to your BB.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

If you are using a company paid for BB and are on BES, there are most likely company IT policies on how to use the device and what you can and cannot do. Many companies lock out BIS and other email access for security reasons. It is best to consult company polices and talk to the BES Admin before trying to add anyhting to your company BB.

Flashman no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by rgnet1
    I just received a Blackberry 8800 through my company and I'm new to the device. My work email is synced with Outlook Exchange and works fine, but was wondering what the best method is to check a personal POP mail account on it, too. I didn't want to mess with the in-built email client's settings, as it didn't appear immediately obvious that you can check multiple servers and keep the messages separated.
    Yes, you can do what you want. The BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) server your company has takes care of your work mail. Your carrier (who is it?) will have a separate BIS (BlackBerry Internet Server) which you can log into through the web and setup your POP, Yahoo, GMail, AOL, etc. account.

Is there something like a Thunderbird client for Blackberry?
    Everything you need is already built-in.

Also, unrelated question: I was running around in circles trying to install Yahoo! Messenger on the device through the Blackberry Browser. There didn't appear to be a page I could get to that let me download it directly to the device. Does anyone have the exact URL?
    Don't bother. I recommend you look at JiveTalk which is a really well done commercial messenger that many here use and will give you reliable connections to Yahoo, AOL, etc. You can get it at http://www.beejive.com