I will try to keep this concise, but bear with me. I am in France. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

the_woozle no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23F2E8C3

BES and BIS quagmire

Advertisement

I will try to keep this concise, but bear with me.

I am in France. I work for a company based in the US but I work for our London office from home. The company agreed to provide me with a BlackBerry but I had to procure it myself with a French service plan and bill it back as part of my expenses. All well and fine so far, this is background.

I wanted a qwerty keyboard which no vendor in France was able to confidently promise me (instead they all looked at me funny and said no) so I got an unlocked 8800 of Cinguar origins.

I went to Orange France after comparing service plans and specified numerous times that the device was to be used with the corporate Enterprise Server already established in London. Multiple times I stressed this. They assured me their "blackberry option" would allow this. Due to our collective ignorance at the time I now have BIS service which I didn't know the difference of at the time, and for more than a month the handheld worked perfectly with the BES system, not a fault at all. Then one day it stopped working. The best explanation from this my IT guy could come up with was that RIM might have indexed the devices and found my BIS account accessing a BES which isn't allowed and pop, I'm locked out of BES.

I have a number of problems and questions now as I have a device that is essentially trying to be both BES and BIS. Google Maps has stopped working. BlackBerry Maps has stopped working. The device has two "browsers" on it, one ambiguously called Browser, the other called BlackBerry Browser. BlackBerry Browser no longer works.

My services status screen shows my BlackBerry Internet Service as "not connected", it also shows my Enterprise Service as "not connected" and always has, even when it was working.

I want BES service but Orange France is saying I can't have "Pro" services because I am not a company and don't have a French company number. When asked why I need a company number they say "So we can tell you are a company" when asked why that matters they can't give a clear answer. Vive La France!

So, since it's looking like I won't be able to get BES going again any time soon am I able to get my Maps program back? Will BlackBerry Browser work if not attached to a BES? I get error messages on sites that need to "see" a blackberry navigator of some sort.

I have tried reading as much as I can in these forums but nothing is quite close to this mess. If you are still reading thank you for your time, and for any suggestions you have. Customer Support in France is absolutely useless for BlackBerry's as half of them have never even heard of the things! The other half are lost when you ask about BIS vs. BES issues.

If you are up for a challenge please please don't hesitate!

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: BES and BIS quagmire

Well i do not know how much i can help but i will try. let me start off by saying if you are running the BES you would run the BIS as well. As to why France will not give BES access without having a company account? Why do the french do anything?

When you access the Blackberry browseris that where you get error messages on sites that need to "see" a blackberry navigator of some sort.

I woudl try to reregister with Blackberry and see what happens. Go to options> Advanced options> Host routing table > highlight the BOLD option > press menu > register now.

30 secs to a min later you should get a message saying that you are registered on the wireless network.

post back and let me know what happens.

PIN/ID
    23F2E8C3

I guess I am wondering if some of my problem is that my device was activated to use BES and is now being blocked. I thought this might be why certain things try to work, as they would have before, then just seem to give up, like Google Maps, and the Bad Gateway messages etc.

I followed the registration instructions that were posted (thanks for the reply!) but nothing seems to have changed. I will try to find some specific examples of sites and errors I am getting for that to be of more help. Though already the BlackBerry browser simply doesn't succeed ever at going anywhere now.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by the_woozle
    I guess I am wondering if some of my problem is that my device was activated to use BES and is now being blocked. I thought this might be why certain things try to work, as they would have before, then just seem to give up, like Google Maps, and the Bad Gateway messages etc.

I followed the registration instructions that were posted (thanks for the reply!) but nothing seems to have changed. I will try to find some specific examples of sites and errors I am getting for that to be of more help. Though already the BlackBerry browser simply doesn't succeed ever at going anywhere now.
    If the browser does not work then there is an issue with the BIS. The only real difference between BIS and BES is on the corporate side of things. The browser is the same either way and without the BES you should be able to surf the web and use google and bb maps and other such things.

what happenned when you registered? Did it give a confirm message in your messeges inbox?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Blackberry Browser will not work without BES as it routes through the BES/MDS server.

You need to either get a BES data plan (sounds unlikely) or delete the BES service books and enter the appropriate TCP settings for your carrier to get your 3rd paty apps to work properly. On BES, you didn't need the TCP settings but as a BIS user you'll need to specify them.

PIN/ID
    23F2E8C3

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am still working on whether I will be able to get BES service or not. I have one last hope I am sort of waiting on which might make all my troubles go away.

In the mean time though, if I delete all my BES service books this presumably won't case me any problems down the road? If I am able to regain my BES access I can just have them sent again?

And these TCP settings... how do I go about finidng what settings I will need. There is just "internet.com" in there right now, which seems too basic to possibly be doing anything functional!

It's good to know that in theory my 3rd party apps should work again, will BlackBerry Maps? Will I need to reinstall them after removing the BES service books, or will they just work when I get the TCP settings right?

Sorry for so many questions! It's just that after grappling with this for more than two weeks now I am beginning to get somewhere!

Thanks again all!!

edit: I did search and find some TCP settings in "Carrier Internet settings" (not allowed to post links yet) but the Orange France settings there won't work for me (yet), I 'll have to delete those BES service books first?
    Last edited by the_woozle; 06-11-2007 at 04:22 PM.