This is what a new user does, making questions, even stupid ones. I have searched ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

hiep0sut no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down BB Maps on BB8800. Help please!!!

Advertisement

This is what a new user does, making questions, even stupid ones.

I have searched on our forums but finally got lost, so decided to post a new thread.

I bought an unlocked BB 8800 and now trying to use GPS function. then I started with BB Maps, downloaded it to the device, run it, but it just showed lines on the screen, no roads or maps.

My question is: do I need to purchase for maps, or data plan, or whatever it is, if I want to view maps and direction on my BB 8800? and how to do it?

By the way, I am in Honolulu Hawaii, and I m using T-Mobile,

Thanks a bunch
    Last edited by hiep0sut; 08-08-2007 at 01:06 AM.

zjfarmer no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: BB Maps on BB8800. Help please!!!

Welcome to the Stacks!

For maps to work you have to have a BB data plan. The lines you saw normally show up if the map is loading and in your case it will not load if you dont have data.
    -- ZJ

"If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences." - W.I. Thomas

Thanks, so how can I get the data plan?

Mofolepo no está en línea Stack level 2

I'm in Honolulu too! I have my data plan with Sprint. You will have to check with TMobile to see if they have one.

ratedrceo no está en línea Stack level 1

T-Mobile definately has a data plan. It's 19.99 a month. I'd definately get that. Also I'd honestly steer clear of the bbmaps on the device. Try using the built in Telenav, they usually give you a trial version first. Or even dl the google maps which is a better program than BBMaps in my opinion.

Thanks Mfolepo and Ratedrceo, I checked with T Mobile, and they said that I need to pay that 19.99 a month plan in order to use GPS. As I understand, I have to have Internet service on the phone in order to use GPS service, is it right?

If I purchase the Telenav ($9.99 a month) or Wayfinder ($99 one time) program, do I need to have the TMobile Internet service plan in order to use them? (My BB8800 was locked to AT&T and I unlocked it to use with Tmobile).

Many thanks,

ratedrceo no está en línea Stack level 1

yes you do. Basically either the Telenav or Wayfinder require the use of a GPRS connection inorder to function, ie you need the data plan. There used to be a work around by just having the 5.99 tzones but they have blocked users from being able to use it.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Technically you don't need a data plan for GPS on a BB. However to make the positioning data from the GPS receiver actually useful you do need a BB data plan in order to download maps.

Quote Originally Posted by hiep0sut
    If I purchase the Telenav ($9.99 a month) or Wayfinder ($99 one time) program, do I need to have the TMobile Internet service plan in order to use them? (My BB8800 was locked to AT&T and I unlocked it to use with Tmobile).
    Yup. Paying Telenav or Wayfinder for their software doesn't replace your data plan. Data still needs to get to your BB...

wu-wei no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    CHERS!

It seems like there might be a little confusion here - or maybe it's just me. Let me try to clarify.

If you have a BB with BB Maps and a GPS-enabled phone (for now, that does not include a Verizon 8830), then you can receive GPS information. GPS information is based on receiving signals from satellites, and there is no charge for receiving that info - it's kinda like AM/FM radio in that respect.

However, if you do not have a data plan, then the GPS info is of limited value. All currently available mapping programs for the BB require data access. Basically, they download map information from the internet and then overlay the maps with the GPS info. BB Maps and Google Maps do this for free, but they are not as fully-featured as TeleNav.

TeleNav is a monthly subscription service that provides various additional features, most significantly it calls out directions for you as you're driving. So, there are layers of "data access" and layers of feature sets that are available.

I hope that's a helpful explanation.

Thanks guys very much, I am pretty clear rite now. It's a helpful forum.

Mofolepo no está en línea Stack level 2

So Google Map works with GPS the same way BB Maps does??

kjbmax77 no está en línea Stack level 3

Google maps does work like BBmaps, it just has a few more extras like traffic in select areas, and the maps are more up to date.

candyman6807 no está en línea Stack level 1

Hi Guys,

I have the BB8800 (the worse thing that I have ever got I can not retune the phone no more) with Rogers.

If we have GPS working but no maps, is it possible that we can add the map to MicroSD and make it work like that.

I'm with Rogers and they make you pay $15 data plan then extra $10 for GPS, I have no use for data plan right now and my plan cost me like $35/ mth and do not want to add $25/ mths that too much for using maps once a week or lease, I do not care about gaz price or where are the nexrt Donuts place is.
    Last edited by candyman6807; 09-10-2007 at 11:22 AM.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Maps cannot be stored on the card as the BB cannot access data that way. The card is only for music and photos. Maps are treated as data. A portion will load and as you move, another will load, etc. You must have the dataplan for maps to work.

krl2007 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks everyone for your help as I am experiencing big issues too. The one thing that I guess I'm struggling with is that I do not get any registration from satellites...no position can be established. I'm confident that once I crack that, I can figure out the rest. Email, phone, everything else works fine. Any clue how to get the satellites to be found? THANKS.