Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Did you hide the browser icon?... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

Advertisement

Did you hide the browser icon?

SoLiSe no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    -oops-posted this in the 8100 thread so I'm 'moving' it here with some modification after reading further-I have been so confused because I've had similar problems and have tried ALL the "fixes" I could find, and Nothing helped beyond a few hours! (I ALWAYS check my status -espec when online)..After a batt pull, I will have over 11-15MB free file space and (not only if using browser) within 30 minutes - will have less than 2MB and this'll keep decreasing until my 8830 finally "locks up" (eternal hourglass) because the free file space is @ 0MB!!?? Now I do have a lot of apps installed (install just after batt pull and you'll have no prob) I do have a 2Gb SD and have cleared all logs, etc as mentioned prev. NO unused apps, etc...and ALL my media files ARE on my SD --None in phone mem.I can't even use my BB long enough 2go2 my Doc's office and play a game or websurf or whatever while waiting -about2hrs-because I'm having to wait for hard resets (I know, it's a craZy example, but I'm disabled, so it's what I got). (now this is 2hrs of straight non-stop use tho-not just checkin emails and makin calls)I love (LOVE) my 8830, but this can be a problem when u don't have time for all the batt pulls and waiting for restarts (and call me "tech-challenged" but I know one of the 1st things I learned with PCs and electronics was to never just cut the power--so I don't understand how all these batt pulls can Possibly be good for my BB!). Another slight problem is I am also losing ALL my phone logs at least once every day or two. No lost msgs though so that's good. I'm still confident this must be a mem issue as well (I am only a BIS and not a BES user so these may be bigger issues to BES users). Of course my original question was going to be for any possible fixes, but after reading this thread, I can see the batt pull really is best fix.I just did a mem clean and cleared my browser cache, and get this...I LOST half my free space. How in hell does this make sense?? ---U all won't believe this one- Earlier today I was installing an app (realizing I was "low" on free space", I ALT-escaped back to my status screen) -and I swear, while the app was downloading, I was watching my free space INCREASE! I upgraded to this 8830 (Sprint) about 2 months ago from Nextel's 7100i. I loved my old BB but I have to say, even with the memory leaks there is NO comparison with the 8830 and 7100i. I *LOVE* this BB! Would not trade it for anything.After having to replace my 7100i FOUR times in less than 6 months because of JVM errors, the mem leaks of the 8830 do pale in comparison. At least I (knockin on some serious wood here!) have not had to replace the 8830 as of yet.ALL this having been said, I can honestly say that I WOULD recommend the 8830, and have to many of my friends. Even with the inconvenience of the mem leaks, it is still a MUCH more solid and well-rounded BB than any I have used --any phone for that matter. The new and improved features of the 8830 are-simply put-awesome. And aside from the mem leaks, it does everything promised of it. To have music, video, AND broadband speed Internet in the palm of your hands is amazing anyway. I strongly believe this problem with mem is most likely a software/OS issue...and if this BB release follows progress of the others, I truly believe this will most likely be addressed fairly soon within the next OS upgrade/release.

DJHess no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    Did you hide the browser icon?
    Nope.

Called Sprint and had it reconfigured.

SO...went to bed last night with almost 6Mb, woke up with 4Mb.
    2 hours later 2Mb...now 1.3Mb

Sprint has no clue.

I'm getting another one.

DJ

shotwell no está en línea Stack level 1
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I use Viigo, and despite the claims to the contrary, I can confirm that Viigo *seems* to be one of the problems (for me anyway). I noticed certain times when my 8830 would stary acting sluggish, confirmed it was deleting emails and then checked Viigo. Sure enough, Viigo had just completed or was in the process of completing a download of RSS articles... Which eats memory because they are stored in the internal 8830 memory. Viigo can say it's not a memory lead... It's really not a memory leak: it is just filling up all available memory, which then causes the 8830's low memory routine to trip, and the 8830 begins deleting emails and call logs you haven't saved. If Viigo allows storage and deletion of feeds on the microSD cards, that should alleviate some of this. Other culprits are download-intensive programs which also fill up memory and the cache... I've seen Google maps do it, Blackberry maps, the internet browser when going to a massive page, and any other app that doesn't clear the cache. But for me, Viigo does it almost every day, and does it even faster when I have *lots* of feeds in my list.

I hope Viigo has the microSD solution soon... And I would PAY to have an app like PowerRun for the Palm that moved installed apps out to the memory card. Otherwise, we have to *carefully* choose what apps we install, and how much data we let Viigo download.

heartspeace no está en línea Stack level 2
    I just got the 8830 from sprint. I can't say I love it because there are several problems like the speaker phone being less audiable to users on the other end than the 8700 models, and the keyboard having keys a little too close together (more typos than before), and bbtoday not working with the stock plugin, and the signal level going up and down from 2 to 5 bars in the exact same location, and the crappy media manager software in the desktop manager (its dead dog slow), and weak gps receiver (loses gps signal frequently), and not being able to turn off the trackball light, and limited ram, and poor fitting trackball (it leaks light when used) and the menu key not being able to be pushed again to select rather than switching to trackball/enter key, and desktop manager not easily being able to backup third party applications, and other items...

But this is pathetic. No answer it seems after months (hell almost a year) and it is affecting many users if not all of the 8830. I just now noticed a new problem that may be related.

I tried to delete a ringtone. The filename didn't remove until I took out the battery. Only then also did the freed memory appear. (Has anyone else experienced this)? I have the same 48 mb on sprint that others have on verizon but down to 5mb free with several apps loaded. I did go down to 0 before deleting many things and the blackberry crawled. I have 3 weeks to decide to keep this or not. Sprints curve should be out april 16 or so.

Anyone have any more news? I delete things but the memory isn't reclaimed in some cased until a hard reset. Maybe this is true with many files being created erased during the operation of the 8830 and maybe evem with the virtual memory.

I have a theory about the missing memory. Perhaps it was a reserve put aside because they knew their was a memory leak either in software or perhaps somehow in hardware that they could not track down in the timeframe of production. If so this would be grounds for a class action lawsuit I believe.

heartspeace no está en línea Stack level 2
    I posted a message about the possibility of a class action lawsuit for affected owners in the general forum here http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com/68124-class_action_law_suit_for_affected_8000_series.htm l.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567