Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Hi Guys I work for TELUS in Canada and just registered to shed some light ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Zino no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

Advertisement

Hi Guys

I work for TELUS in Canada and just registered to shed some light on the question about TELUS having that prob. or not. simple NAAT "borat style"

we have two test units that we get to play with.... I checked and there are TONS of programs on the unit . all the RIM package, google maps, viigo, games you name it. there is 12MB free and system shows ~48 MB.
    I personaly think this is a particular problem with the VZW implementation on the BB 8830.

jesssquire no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    250edab5

We have noticed a number of references to memory leaks on the Blackberry Curve recently … and some of those posts have wondered if Viigo is the culprit … so we have done some research to verify if this is in fact the case.

As far as we know, Viigo is not responsible for memory leaks on your BlackBerry devices, but it is an issue we take very seriously and will continue to monitor. Research on the forums has highlighted a number of references to memory leaks on BlackBerry Curves in particular. Please note that most of these posts are from users who are not running Viigo, so we suspect that the issue is elsewhere.

For your information, you can control the memory consumed by Viigo by defining the number of articles that it keeps stored on your device. If you look in the Options Menu under Articles, you will find a setting for “Maximum Articles” … which normally defaults to 250 feeds. If you want Viigo to retain a smaller number of feeds, you can set this value lower, and Viigo will generate a smaller database. Note that we are developing an upcoming feature that will allow you to store articles to your external storage card. (Stay tuned!)

If you have any serious problems with Viigo, we’d love to hear from you so we can help resolve your issues. Please contact our support team support@VirtualReach.com

Jesse Sternberg
    Viigo, Product Manager

woobang no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32C20A99

Re: Glad I have the 8800

Quote Originally Posted by temoore
    Makes me glad I have an 8800. File Free: 33027784 Bytes, File Total: 63438848 Bytes. I have a fair number of applications loaded as well.
    Confirmed... I have the VZW version 8830 with the currently stated 48megs. I will say though, i have the normal apps with the addition of IM+ and google maps and i stay around 20 megs. I use every feature (mail, text, contact list, blah blah. I havent experienced any issues with running out of memory or even close. Not sure what the issue is unless its a bad phone.

With that said my sister fell in love with the phone and purchased an 8800 from At&t. I was amazed to see that her phone actually had more memory... very close to 33megs w/File Free & File Total: 63438848 Bytes! Hmm... intresting. But I must say, is this really gonna matter to those upset here as its only 10 more megs. Her phone has all the bells and whistles at&t had to offer so this come pretty close to standard as I have seen here with the Treo's and other compared devices (exept using the SD for apps.).

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

me too i want more memory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

tina_twyman no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30d4e1b6

I am having memory leak issues as well and its driving me nuts. I removed unused languages and i have an external memory card. I don't have too many more applications I want to give up! I continue to lose emails constantly! I assume there isn't a way to transfer applications to the memory card? I have the 8830 with Sprint and I conduct a battery pull at least three times a day.

LLceleb no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID

if i delete the preloaded wallpapers that will give me 1 meg and that preload music song is half a meg will that mess up my bb can some 1 pin me that knows how to delete these on the 8830e for sprint or any 1 that knows how please
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tmobile
    BOLD

Roosta no está en línea Stack level 2

How do you get rid of the preloaded pix? I feel like I have tried evrything but the bastards are locked!

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    Delete the following from your BB (if you don't use them) and see if it frees up any memory. This worked for me on my Pearl a few days ago:

Password Keeper
    Device Help
    Any language files you don't use (it's best to do this via Desktop Manager>Application Loader)
    Preloaded videos, pictures and ringtones
    Search
    Voice Activated Dialing
    Voice Notes
    Themes

If there is a newer OS for your 8830 (search the forum for 8300 OS), I would highly suggest upgrading the OS. Some of the OS's shipped with the 88xx and 8100 models drain memory out of the box. I learned this the hard way.

Thanks Dolphin for that reminder. I forgot that pulling the battery out for 30 seconds and reinserting it (on a regular basis) also help. Also, on a regular basis, clearing your browser cache, pushed content, cookies, history, etc help.

I did all of the above the other day and tripled my memory from 9MB to 27MB.

Roosta no está en línea Stack level 2

This moderator at crackberry posted that padlocked pix cant be deleted.

Could this be true? I;ve read that others have done it.
    Last edited by Roosta; 09-23-2007 at 11:17 PM.

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Can any of the users having 8830 Blackberry memory leak problems, confirm if they use Sametime and Google Maps on the Blackberry?

swarles_barkley no está en línea Stack level 1

I use Google Maps, but not Sametime.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

Quote Originally Posted by pjbarry21
    For me, the extra features beyond my old 7130e are what convinced me to keep it and cross my fingers the glitches would be resolved. Hopefully, I don't regret the decision. My husband still has his 7130e and I went to use it last night and I felt like I was on something 10 years old when I went to scroll with the trackball and realized it wasn't there.
    i loved my 7130e but whenever i go back to use it it feels old but one thing i dont understand is i never had this problem with that phone and i had more apps then i do on my 8830 i think this is a OS bug

DJHess no está en línea Stack level 1

Sprint 8830.
    Went to ZERO bytes free today.
    Reset (alt+Right shift+del) = 5 mb

Installed apps:
    BB smart 136K
    Google Maps 210K
    On Demand 630K
    Multi Alarm 60k
    Clinical Consult 5004k
    Sanford Guide 2026k
    Tarascon Pharmacopia 3850k
    Other applications and libraries 217K
    Also have Viigo, but not listed (prob in other)
    Apps = 12169K

WTF!

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

When using Google Maps, and exiting the app, do you hit the Red end key, or the menu key, and select Quit? (preferred method)

Seems as though if you use Google Maps quite a bit, and zoom in close in Sat mode, then scan around, it will eat up your memory quick. If you hit the Red end key, and wait 10 min or so, you will see a drastic reduction in memory. If you 'Quit' your memory will be freed up somewhat after 10 min, roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    When using Google Maps, and exiting the app, do you hit the Red end key, or the menu key, and select Quit? (preferred method)

Seems as though if you use Google Maps quite a bit, and zoom in close in Sat mode, then scan around, it will eat up your memory quick. If you hit the Red end key, and wait 10 min or so, you will see a drastic reduction in memory. If you 'Quit' your memory will be freed up somewhat after 10 min, roughly.
    My bad, I don't "Quit" properly.
    As per my post above...I no longer have Viigo. It was JUST GONE, out of the blue.

I just got this thing yesterday?
    I really want it to work.

DJ

Now my browser is gone.

What the hell is going on???

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast