Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

JustLeft - Thanks for the update. I wonder if that is why the Bell Canada ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: RIM knows there is a Memory Issue!

Advertisement

JustLeft -

Thanks for the update. I wonder if that is why the Bell Canada and Telus rollouts of the 8830 are delayed. (source http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...aunch-delayed/)

Can anyone confirm is this is the reason?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by JustLeft
    I have received information from a reliable (and confidential) source that RIM has identified a memory leak with the bb8830. Apparently the problem is around application switching. It is my understanding that they are developing a fix. No ETA available on when it will be delivered or rolled out with Verizon. Will post more information as it becomes available.
    Last edited by rweckhoff; 06-15-2007 at 11:42 PM.

JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: RIM knows there is a Memory Issue!

I haven't heard anything specific, but would hope that this problem, along with the low volume of the ringtones gets resolved before this gets rolled out further. Coming down to the 30 day decision point and I still haven't decided if I am keeping the 8830.

Quote Originally Posted by rweckhoff
    JustLeft -

Thanks for the update. I wonder if that is why the Bell Canada and Telus rollouts of the 8830 are delayed. (source http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/...aunch-delayed/)

Can anyone confirm is this is the reason?

Bob

pjbarry21 no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

I, too, am anxious. I just found out that cycling it using the alt + right shift + del doesn't clear the memory... I was down to just under 3 mb of RAM and tried that and no luck. I thought it might be the amount of email I was keeping (30 day retention -- same I had set on my old BB), but I pulled the battery and voila -- 12+ mb of RAM now available. So... I haven't had a flip out since the original one after just over a week of use, but I now know, until they fix this, I have to physically remove the battery. I'm committed to this unit (financially, at least -- I haven't gotten rid of my 7130e if I have to revert), but my boss is still waiting (he was going to buy it the first week, but now isn't sure) as are my coworkers -- based on what I've told them. Keeping my fingers crossed, but more and more disappointed with RIM and Verizon daily. Still no other contact. But they emailed me their latest deal to toggle the phone to the pc for a free trial of their Broadband Connect service and then pay "only" $15 a month more thereafter (with a pic of this model tethered to a laptop). If that doesn't send a clear signal as to what's a priority in their minds... Nothing like feeling like a faceless, unimportant customer (with hardware issues).

Did you do the alt + right shift + del twice? If I do it only once it doesn't reclaim any memory. Twice and it usually does.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbarry21
    I, too, am anxious. I just found out that cycling it using the alt + right shift + del doesn't clear the memory... I was down to just under 3 mb of RAM and tried that and no luck. I thought it might be the amount of email I was keeping (30 day retention -- same I had set on my old BB), but I pulled the battery and voila -- 12+ mb of RAM now available. So... I haven't had a flip out since the original one after just over a week of use, but I now know, until they fix this, I have to physically remove the battery. I'm committed to this unit (financially, at least -- I haven't gotten rid of my 7130e if I have to revert), but my boss is still waiting (he was going to buy it the first week, but now isn't sure) as are my coworkers -- based on what I've told them. Keeping my fingers crossed, but more and more disappointed with RIM and Verizon daily. Still no other contact. But they emailed me their latest deal to toggle the phone to the pc for a free trial of their Broadband Connect service and then pay "only" $15 a month more thereafter (with a pic of this model tethered to a laptop). If that doesn't send a clear signal as to what's a priority in their minds... Nothing like feeling like a faceless, unimportant customer (with hardware issues).

Twice -- as in once, power it up and then do it again, or do it twice (the button sequence) and then power it up again? I did the latter and no change. It acts like it's been fully reset (powering up again), but other than that, no change. Of course, if it's that I need to cycle it twice, then that would be why. Thanks.

It is odd, but sometimes I do the reset and it clears memory and other times it doesn't work, unless I do it a couple more times. I do it once, phone will reset. Once phone returns, I do it again. Usually the second time memory is reclaimed. However, I just tried it a few minutes ago, and the memory didn't get reclaimed. I did it a 3rd time, then I got back the memory. Odd.

Twice -- as in once, power it up and then do it again, or do it twice (the button sequence) and then power it up again? I did the latter and no change. It acts like it's been fully reset (powering up again), but other than that, no change. Of course, if it's that I need to cycle it twice, then that would be why. Thanks.

Confidence inspiring, eh?

Still far better than the Treo 700P that I have. Also has far less problems that the 650 that I used to own. So I guess my standards have been set low!

For me, the extra features beyond my old 7130e are what convinced me to keep it and cross my fingers the glitches would be resolved. Hopefully, I don't regret the decision. My husband still has his 7130e and I went to use it last night and I felt like I was on something 10 years old when I went to scroll with the trackball and realized it wasn't there.

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3

I have faith that RIM (not Verizon Wireless since they know absolutely nothing about everything) will fix the issues. I love the device. I had the 8703e and upgraded on 5/28 at full retail. I have no intentions on returning the device and unlike the 8703e - works flawlessly with my Mac.

I noticed I had the Blackberry sample movie on my 8830. Deleted that and I got back around 2 MB of memory. Hard to say exactly how much (it size was listed as around 1.4 MB), but I got back a significant amount - for getting rid of something virtually useless.

Just wondering if anyone has any updates. Saw the notices about the other rollouts on other carriers being delayed. Called Verizon about another issue and brought up the fact that they never called me back the last time and was told that issue was closed (by telling me that the device has 64 mb of memory, but the OS just eats up 16 mb that's not viewable -- no one addressed the fact that there are another 28+ mb that are used up out of the box and only 20 mb free out of the box). The same spiel they keep repeating. Was told again that, other than me, no reported issues exist in the Verizon world with this phone. That the eating up of memory is now part of how the OS works (similiar to the fun of Windows). They offered to have me swap out this phone for another one. OY. Oh, and I was told to call RIM again. When I said they want money to talk to me and that they needed to call RIM, they said they could only call RIM with me on the phone. So, I'd get to waste yet more of my time. My ability to recommend Verizon to others is slipping. The only reason I left Sprint 4+ years ago was a billing issue that dragged on for 6 months -- an error on their side that they repeatedly apologized for and kept fixing every time I called -- but it was never actually fixed so I didn't have to keep calling back. I had no coverage or dropped call issues that I know some people have with Sprint -- found out that if you get the "right" phone with them, dropped calls don't really happen. Anyway... my point being that, to me, customer service and resolving issues are my top priority. That's why I pay more to be with Verizon. Or that's why I had decided to go with Verizon. At this point, I'm questioning that. I know they're still supposedly better than the rest and can't imagine going the GSM route (too many dropped calls here where I live), but there are other CDMA carriers and if I can't expect better service, why pay extra? I could have Sprint or Alltel. I know I'm locked in unless I want to pay a cancellation fee, but I'm also in the position to recommend carriers and phones to the 500+ people I support at my job (a question I get asked regularly since I'm the only tech person at my job). It used to be an easy answer. Sorry about the rant. I'm just worn out and so disillusioned by this whole thing. And it's only partially the actual memory problem -- it's more the lack of answers and feeling like I'm banging my head against the wall every time I try to explain to the carrier that yes, I think there may really be an issue with this phone from RIM and why in the world can't someone confirm this other than just repeat the party line? Why do I pay Verizon for hardware and service and yet I get more information and confirmation that it really isn't just my sole phone by checking threads like this? I'm tired of the blame game (Verizon blaming RIM) and the thought that it's acceptable that I should waste more of my time on the phone because Verizon has some crappy contract with RIM that they say won't allow them to call RIM unless I'm on the phone wasting more time explaining the problem (that they should already know about). I didn't write the freaking code for the 4.2 OS. I'm not a beta tester getting a free piece of hardware so I could report issues. I paid for this fun.

Just wanted to post one update. The last guy I spoke with at Verizon took some initiative (thanks, Mike!) and called RIM. RIM told him there are no known issues and it may be a corrupted database on my phone. I have a case number and will call them for troubleshooting when I have time (used up my "free" time at work today on the phone with Verizon -- can't spend more time on the phone today). I'm dreading the "wipe the phone" solution as I have this fully customized. And I'm wondering if anyone here has any more info on the delays with the rollouts of the 8830 with other providers (if the memory issue we believe exists is the cause or totally unrelated) and if there's any update from RIM from the "confidential" source about whether they truly are working on a fix as reported in this thread? If the memory leaking is just a new "feature" of this phone, it will be the last Blackberry I buy or recommend -- this is the PRIMARY reason I avoid Windows-based phones (I repair Windows pcs all day at my job -- don't need the hassle with my phone) -- the apps remaining open and draining memory and causing issues. OY. I'll let you know what I find out.

Medley no está en línea Stack level 1

I'm dreading the "wipe the phone" solution as I have this fully customized. And I'm wondering if anyone here has any more info on the delays with the rollouts of the 8830 with other providers (if the memory issue we believe exists is the cause or totally unrelated) and if there's any update from RIM from the "confidential" source about whether they truly are working on a fix as reported in this thread? If the memory leaking is just a new "feature" of this phone, it will be the last Blackberry I buy or recommend -- this is the PRIMARY reason I avoid Windows-based phones (I repair Windows pcs all day at my job -- don't need the hassle with my phone) -- the apps remaining open and draining memory and causing issues. OY. I'll let you know what I find out.
    I look forward to your update. As another data point, I'm having the memory leak problem as well. I've had my 8830 about a week, and need to reset it every couple of days as the memory just steadily drains.

It's <em>beyond ridiculous</em> and the developers should be ashamed of themselves for releasing something that behaves like this.

I do hope that there will be a fix soon.

ArgonNJ no está en línea Stack level 2

Anyone know if this issue also effects the Sprint 8830. I have been debating getting one, but if this is still a problem, that will be on hold until they do.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast