Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 96

dtg, I have not found any answer yet that explains the difference in memory. I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

  1. #46
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    Advertisement



    dtg, I have not found any answer yet that explains the difference in memory. I went to a Cingular store last weekend and grabbed an 8800 and checked the available memory. File free was 25 MB which was 5 MB more than on Verizon. However, the File Total on the Cingular was more than what was on the Verizon (which was 48 MB). I don't remember how much more, as I was mostly concerned with the File Free size. I will go back this weekend and get the exact numbers. Suffice it to say however, the Cingular 8800's numbers are different, and appear to be better.

    The 8800 is not 3G and is quite a bit slower than the 8830 when using the internet. Also, the 8830 had a softer feel in my hand, like the silver sides had fuzz on them. It seemed to be easier to hold on to. This may sound strange, but I swear it felt different. I am going back to verify.

    My memory is now down to 8.8 GB after installing a few more applications. I just did the double reset that I listed earlier in this thread and it increased the File Free (memory) to 9 GB - not much difference. I then pulled the battery and saw the memory increase to 15.4 MB. So the question is why does this device continually lose available memory. Got to be a leak somewhere. I have tried the obvious things like clearing cache, without much luck.

    I am really torn on this device. I love it as a phone and it works as a smartphone, the issue is that free memory disappears. Verizon and RIM have been no help in providing a reasonable explanation and there is no fix that I have heard of in the pipeline. So it looks like you will need to be pulling the battery out of this phone every couple of days.

    The media card has the potential of solving part of this problem, but the implementation on the blackberry comes up short. Apps that should use the media card don't know it is even there - apps such as Handmark Express and FreeNews. It would be nice if that would change over time. The ding may not be on RIM for this, but on the app developers.

    The multimedia application reserves 12 MB of free memory and it cannot be reclaimed to be used for other things. What a waste! Hopefully this will be addressed in the future also.

    Oddly enough, my device ran fine even when the memory went to 0 bytes available. Some operations, just didn't work - such as viewing a picture on a web page.

    So the question is - how many applications do you plan on loading onto your blackberry? If it is none or just a few, you won't have any issues.

    For reference, here are the applications I have loaded:

    beyond411 (phone number lookup)
    FreeRange (RSS Reader)
    JournalBar (Weather and News)
    WorldMate Professional (Travel, airline schedules)

    So 4 programs loaded and 25% of the memory consumed. Not encouraging.



    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    Thanks for posting on this topic! I was just about ready to purchase an 8830 from Verizon when I came across this posting. My only other experience with a Blackberry has been the 8100 (Pearl) on Cingular. I loved the 8100 but Cingular coverage in my area was less than stellar compared to Verizon.

    Does the 8830 have less RAM available to the user than the 8100? The reason I ask is the 8100 is all I have to compare against. This whole issue of low RAM smells a lot like the Treo 700w issue Verizon just went through 1-2 years ago. You would have thought they would learn from it.

    Can anyone offer a comparison of the 8830 vs the 8800 offered on other networks? Does the smaller amount of RAM have a noticeable impact?

    I agree with the earlier posters disappointment. The whole reason I wanted to go with a Blackberry was to not have to worry about issues such as this. Thanks.

    - dtg

  2. #47
    dolphinrich's Avatar
    dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb
    Posts
    179

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    I am told this has been escalated internally at RIM and it is being investigated. I have been working with DART to reproduce the problems on my device this week. The problem has not been identified as of yet, but I am assured it is not being taken lightly. Hope to have some answers next week.

    Wish I had more to share.

  3. #48
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    That is great news. I really hope they are looking into it. I am fresh off a Treo 700p and that left a very bad taste in my mouth. Palm seems to have abandoned their customers, denying that problems exist. They didn't used to be like that. If RIM is looking into the issue, that would make my decision easy - I will keep the 8830. I don't expect every device to be perfect. What I do expect is that when problems occur they will be investigated and resolved, verses denied that they even exist (a la Palm).

    BTW, what is DART?

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    I am told this has been escalated internally at RIM and it is being investigated. I have been working with DART to reproduce the problems on my device this week. The problem has not been identified as of yet, but I am assured it is not being taken lightly. Hope to have some answers next week.

    Wish I had more to share.

  4. #49
    rweckhoff's Avatar
    rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    115

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    Here is the response I received back from VZW - once again they do not know their a** from a hole in the ground.

    =======

    We have compared the free file space on both the Blackberry 8703 and 8830 after performing hard resets on both devices. The Blackberry 8830 has 18478924 bytes of free file space, while the Blackberry 8703e has 40825548 bytes.

    The reason for the difference in memory is due to the additional applications that come preloaded on the Blackberry 8830. Should you find that you do not need some of the preloaded applications, you can remove remove the files using the Application Loader on your Blackberry Desktop Manager. You can also use the Application Loader to remove preloaded pictures on your Blackberry device.

    Since the removal of preloaded programs requires advanced troubleshooting, we would suggest that you call in to our Wireless Data Technical Support department if you decide to remove the applications. We can be reached at 1-800-922-0204 and selecting option 3. We are open between the hours of 6am to 11pm CST 7 days a week.

    =======

  5. #50
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    Wow, they are stupid! It is so wrong in so many ways, I don't know where to begin. Hopefully, Dolphinrich gets a better response from RIM.

    Quote Originally Posted by rweckhoff
    Here is the response I received back from VZW - once again they do not know their a** from a hole in the ground.

    =======

    We have compared the free file space on both the Blackberry 8703 and 8830 after performing hard resets on both devices. The Blackberry 8830 has 18478924 bytes of free file space, while the Blackberry 8703e has 40825548 bytes.

    The reason for the difference in memory is due to the additional applications that come preloaded on the Blackberry 8830. Should you find that you do not need some of the preloaded applications, you can remove remove the files using the Application Loader on your Blackberry Desktop Manager. You can also use the Application Loader to remove preloaded pictures on your Blackberry device.

    Since the removal of preloaded programs requires advanced troubleshooting, we would suggest that you call in to our Wireless Data Technical Support department if you decide to remove the applications. We can be reached at 1-800-922-0204 and selecting option 3. We are open between the hours of 6am to 11pm CST 7 days a week.

    =======

  6. #51
    DerekTheGeek's Avatar
    DerekTheGeek no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    20

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    Would this memory issue prevent you guys from buying this phone? I have to go with Verizon so this is my only choice as far as a Blackberry goes. What files can be deleted and how much space does that save? I know the 8700 series was good and I believe it only had 16 MB of ram. If this issue is not cleared up will it affect the performance of the phone? Thanks.

    - dtg

  7. #52
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    I have 1 1/2 weeks left to decide. The memory leak is a bigger issue to me than the 20 MB of available memory. I have loaded additional programs onto the 8830 and while the 20 MB has been reduced to 13 MB, the memory leak takes it down to 8-9 MB in 48 hours.

    Performance wise the 8830 is still crisp - it does things quickly, often quicker than the Treo that I had. The phone on the 8830 is the best phone I have had. One pet pieve I had with the Treo was when I pressed a speed dial key. The phone would say dialing, but it would be a number of seconds before I would hear it start ringing in the earpiece. The 8830 dials almost immediately.

    How many programs are you going to load? How many contacts do you have? How many appointments do you have? These are all questions that could impact your answer.

    When you do the install, make sure you run setup on the 8830 and delete the languages that you don't use. That will free up space. From what I know, 20 MB is the most you can get out of this device without getting much more involved in deleting stuff - like unused apps, pics, etc... Also I set the multi media to the minimum setting, which was 12 MB.

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    Would this memory issue prevent you guys from buying this phone? I have to go with Verizon so this is my only choice as far as a Blackberry goes. What files can be deleted and how much space does that save? I know the 8700 series was good and I believe it only had 16 MB of ram. If this issue is not cleared up will it affect the performance of the phone? Thanks.

    - dtg

  8. #53
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    Dolphinrich, have you gotten any updates back on this issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    I am told this has been escalated internally at RIM and it is being investigated. I have been working with DART to reproduce the problems on my device this week. The problem has not been identified as of yet, but I am assured it is not being taken lightly. Hope to have some answers next week.

    Wish I had more to share.

  9. #54
    DerekTheGeek's Avatar
    DerekTheGeek no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    20

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    Thanks for that assessment JustLeft. I am in the situation where I have a Treo 700wx and have 3 weeks to decide if I want to keep it or go with the BB 8830. I am leaning towards the 8830 as the 700wx locks up on me at times. A phone is no good if it isn't stable and dependable.

    As you pointed out, it's the memory leak that has me holding back.

    - dtg

  10. #55
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    I have had no lockups in the 3 weeks I have been using the 8830. I do have to pull the battery every couple of days to reclaim the memory. The phone is so much better than the one on the 700P - no comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    Thanks for that assessment JustLeft. I am in the situation where I have a Treo 700wx and have 3 weeks to decide if I want to keep it or go with the BB 8830. I am leaning towards the 8830 as the 700wx locks up on me at times. A phone is no good if it isn't stable and dependable.

    As you pointed out, it's the memory leak that has me holding back.

    - dtg

  11. #56
    rweckhoff's Avatar
    rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    115

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    DTG -

    Despite the "how much memory does it have" question (that appears to be still outstanding) - I LOVE this phone.

    I am a Mac user and it works for me a a Bluetooth modem. I sync via BES so I do not need any of the Desktop functions. It is a rock solid device and feels solid.

    HTH,

    Bob

    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    Would this memory issue prevent you guys from buying this phone? I have to go with Verizon so this is my only choice as far as a Blackberry goes. What files can be deleted and how much space does that save? I know the 8700 series was good and I believe it only had 16 MB of ram. If this issue is not cleared up will it affect the performance of the phone? Thanks.

    - dtg

  12. #57
    pjbarry21's Avatar
    pjbarry21 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    Just as an update, I've had zero responses from Verizon OR RIM since the initial RIM callback. Very disappointing. I reluctantly decided to keep the phone because I like so many of the other features and I'm hoping someone at Verizon or RIM will provide an update to resolve the issues (stupid of me, I know). I can't say I'd wholeheartedly recommend the phone, though, and I've shared that and the issues with my department. They've decided not to purchase the phone for the others in IT -- until issues are addressed/resolved or another model comes out. If nothing else, the lack of concern and response from Verizon and RIM is the biggest issue to me. So much for Verizon's reputation for "better" customer service than most providers and the ridiculous message when you're on hold that they will "resolve all questions" during your call.

  13. #58
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Thumbs up RIM knows there is a Memory Issue!

    I have received information from a reliable (and confidential) source that RIM has identified a memory leak with the bb8830. Apparently the problem is around application switching. It is my understanding that they are developing a fix. No ETA available on when it will be delivered or rolled out with Verizon. Will post more information as it becomes available.

  14. #59
    pjbarry21's Avatar
    pjbarry21 no está en línea Stack level 1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    11

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    I hope it comes out soon and it resolves the issue. They did the same when the 7130e came out with bluetooth issues -- about a month after it was released and it did fix the problem. We'll see. Thanks for the update! Amazing that Verizon and RIM are keeping this under wraps when it might help them sell the device to those who are still concerned. I bought the 7130e knowing about the bluetooth issue -- because I'd already read about a fix that was being worked on.

  15. #60
    JustLeft's Avatar
    JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

    I think you summed it up - most of us don't expect a device to be perfect. Admitting that there is a problem and being upfront about it means a lot to customers. Then taking steps to fix it - that gains customers. I have been on numerous calls with Verizon. I have found them to be one of the best carriers, however, they are becoming exceedingly annoying. How is that? When you call in they are always apologizing that you are having a problem. The apologies are so many that they ring hollow.

    If Verizon were piloting the titanic, they would be apologizing to you as the water crept up from your ankles to your knees, your head, until you drowned. Of course they would not be apologizing for hitting an iceberg - they would be apologizing because you were having problems with the cold water!

    Quote Originally Posted by pjbarry21
    I hope it comes out soon and it resolves the issue. They did the same when the 7130e came out with bluetooth issues -- about a month after it was released and it did fix the problem. We'll see. Thanks for the update! Amazing that Verizon and RIM are keeping this under wraps when it might help them sell the device to those who are still concerned. I bought the 7130e knowing about the bluetooth issue -- because I'd already read about a fix that was being worked on.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •