Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

From what I have seen that displays the databases the application is using. I don't ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

Advertisement

From what I have seen that displays the databases the application is using. I don't believe it shows the size of the applications. For instance, I have a total of 565KB consumed in databases. I have an 8830 and it shows 16MB File Free from a total of 48MB. I will be opening a ticket with RIM to find out why a fresh 8830 has only 48MB (and not 64MB as advertised) of memory, and then why it just seems to disappear. Dolphinrich is already ahead of me on this. I think this is a issue with the device.

Quote Originally Posted by PDUB204
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i found I go into status and click the menu key and choose database sizes this will then list the apps and how much space they are taking. I then deleted the hogs I was not using and did a battery pull and doubled my memory. As far as saving to card I just use menu key and choose move to card. This works for pics and ringtones I am not sure about moving applications to fun from cardm. Maybe 3rd party software similar to power run for Treo is available

rweckhoff no está en línea Stack level 3

Here's what Verizon sent me:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize for any confusion with the available memory on the BlackBerry 8830. We are happy to assist you with your concern on the available memory for the BlackBerry 8830.

The BlackBerry 8830 has 64 MB Flash Memory/32 MB RAM. The flash memory stores permanent information on the device. Unlike RAM (random-access memory), flash memory can continue to store information in the absence of a power source. The BlackBerry 8830 makes use of flash memory to store the operating system and core applications. The amount of memory RAM available to be used by the user for storing data is 32 MB. The BlackBerry 8830 does not have 64 MB of available storage for you to store data. Again we apologize for any confusion with using the available memory on the BlackBerry 8830.

It has been a pleasure assisting you today regarding the BlackBerry 8830. We make it our personal goal to resolve all of your concerns. We sincerely hope that you feel we have done that today. Should you have additional questions or you feel your concerns are not fully resolved, please reply to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you.

Oddly enough - if there is only 32MB - why do I show ~48MB. This is bullsh*t. Anyone make any more progress? What is the real answer?

I am on the line with Verizon as we speak. I did a hard reset, thinking there was a problem because of the small amount of memory that I had. After the hard reset I had the following numbers for memory:

File Free: 20085452
    File Total: 47841280

Multimedia is set to the smallest setting which is 12 MB.

While I don't like the message you have below, it seems logical based on the numbers I have above. 32MB - 12MB (Multimedia) = 20 MB.

If this is true, I just wasted my time doing a hard reset. Sure don't have an answer on why it is showing 48MB - something sure seems to stink. I will post what I hear back. I have been on the phone on 4 different calls today trying to get to the bottom of this.

Palm pulled these tricks on me a few years ago - hope RIM isn't joining the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by rweckhoff
    Here's what Verizon sent me:

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We apologize for any confusion with the available memory on the BlackBerry 8830. We are happy to assist you with your concern on the available memory for the BlackBerry 8830.

The BlackBerry 8830 has 64 MB Flash Memory/32 MB RAM. The flash memory stores permanent information on the device. Unlike RAM (random-access memory), flash memory can continue to store information in the absence of a power source. The BlackBerry 8830 makes use of flash memory to store the operating system and core applications. The amount of memory RAM available to be used by the user for storing data is 32 MB. The BlackBerry 8830 does not have 64 MB of available storage for you to store data. Again we apologize for any confusion with using the available memory on the BlackBerry 8830.

It has been a pleasure assisting you today regarding the BlackBerry 8830. We make it our personal goal to resolve all of your concerns. We sincerely hope that you feel we have done that today. Should you have additional questions or you feel your concerns are not fully resolved, please reply to this email or call us at 1-800-922-0204 and we will happily address them for you.

Oddly enough - if there is only 32MB - why do I show ~48MB. This is bullsh*t. Anyone make any more progress? What is the real answer?

Well the rep that I just spoke with said there is 64MB of Flash for storing programs - which would be the operating systems and any programs that you install. The 32MB is for data, which is where databases and media files would reside. Unfortunately there is no bb utility that I have been able to find that would show you what is residing in memory. I got disconnected from Verizon due to a power outage, so I didn't get to complete the call. No answer by anyone as to what the h*ll the 48 MB is - my only guess is that is the amount of flash that is left. This is only a guess!

The multimedia reserve limits seem to have no impact on the file free settings. I am awaiting a response questioning if it is 32MB for RAM, why is it reading 48MB. We'll see what happens.

Just got off the phone for the 6th call with Verizon tonight. It is pretty clear, although I don't want it to be true, that this device is limited to 32MB of user programs and data. The Verizon site has the following spec for memory:

64 MB Flash Memory/32 MB RAM

The 64 MB Flash Memory seems to be reserved for the system. To verify this, I did a hard reset on my device and then installed programs one by one, recording the memory used. Nothing that I added changed the File Total from 47841280. The only number that changed was the File Free, and it always went down.

So this is shades of the Treo 650, and yes I owned one of those too.

The most unfortunate thing is that I don't intend to use this device for multimedia. There is no way that I have found to be able to reduce the 12 MB of space that is reserved for multimedia - it is essentially dead space.

So on my device, after I have done a hard reset, I have only 20 MB in the file free settings. What are you seeing in yours? I haven't gotten a good answer to the 48 MB question, other than what I have already posted earlier. But as it stands now, there is only 20 MB of space to use on this device. The Verizon rep I spoke to grabbed another 8830 and verified that the numbers I was seeing were the same thing he saw. The rep also thought that you could install programs to the card, but I haven't found a way to do this yet. I am sorry to say that the 8830 is very short on memory. If this doesn't get remedied, and I'm not real confident that it will, I wish Verizon many happy returns! BTW, the new return policy is 30 days - changed from the previous 15 days.

The multimedia reserve limits seem to have no impact on the file free settings. I am awaiting a response questioning if it is 32MB for RAM, why is it reading 48MB. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLeft
    So on my device, after I have done a hard reset, I have only 20 MB in the file free settings. What are you seeing in yours? I haven't gotten a good answer to the 48 MB question, other than what I have already posted earlier. But as it stands now, there is only 20 MB of space to use on this device. The Verizon rep I spoke to grabbed another 8830 and verified that the numbers I was seeing were the same thing he saw. The rep also thought that you could install programs to the card, but I haven't found a way to do this yet. I am sorry to say that the 8830 is very short on memory. If this doesn't get remedied, and I'm not real confident that it will, I wish Verizon many happy returns! BTW, the new return policy is 30 days - changed from the previous 15 days.
    I am seeing about the same on file free. I looked at two co-workers 8830s today and they all show a total of ~48MB for the total. My e-mail was sent over to the wireless data team and I am awaiting a response.

I had Verizon check another 8830 and the numbers were virtually identical. Essentially this appears to be a device that has only 20 MB for storing programs and data. While I like my device, this seems like misleading advertising. There was an uproar when the Treo 650 did something similar a few years ago.

I had a friend who has an 8800 with Cingular check his memory and he had 23 MB File Free, and this was with all his calendar and email loaded. I showed 20 MB File free with nothing loaded.

Am interested in hearing any response that you get from the wireless data team.

I am seeing about the same on file free. I looked at two co-workers 8830s today and they all show a total of ~48MB for the total. My e-mail was sent over to the wireless data team and I am awaiting a response.

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

I myself am still waiting for a response from RIM/DART. My Support Account Manager, is pushing on this for me.

As soon as I hear something, I will let you know.

I Wiped and reloaded my device Tuesday morning (Erased all Applications and Application Data)
    I have reprovisioned my device on the BES for Email, Calendar and Contacts, etc.
    After re-provisioning I had 15.62 mb available on the device.

My device has since fluctuated between 12mb and 16mb available. Device currently sits on 12.87mb available.

I have not reloaded any 3rd party apps, themes or Ringtones (Except what media I have on my Micro SD card).

I will test like this for a few days, and see how the available memory behaves.

Then I will begin installing apps one at a time.

Dont get me wrong... I love the device. If there is no solution for this Memory issue, I am not giving this device up. I will find a way to work around it. :-) I am not fond of the Blue backlight, but can function fine with it. I am quickly adapting to the keyboard, as I have to all of the previous devices I have used. (This keyboard still beats the Q, Treo, Blackjack, and any other PDA on the market) In my opinion. lol

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Of course I am taking the wrong side of this arguement, but what the hell, I'll give it a try.

I think this is all WAY over own. Do you all also expect a 40 gig hd to come fully loaded and still have 40 gig to load stuff on? Of course I also understand the percentages we're talking about here: 20 megs of 64 vs 29 gig of 40 on a fresh PC. Think about it though! 44 megs used to store every apication and piece of data on the device that runs your life. I think it sounds reasonable. I'm not sure what percent of other devices' flash is being used but it can't be too much different than this.

I have a Treo700P, Dell Axim X51v, a Palm TX, and now the Blackberry 8830. I would say the average of available space to use for applications and data, from the total memory is at least 60 - 70%. This is certainly much less than that - around 20%.

The other issue is that there appears to be a memory leak, which could be in the OS or one of the applications that are loaded. Without the tools to check memory it is tough to diagnose. For instance, I loaded Viigo which says the application size is 262K. It loaded, I opened it up then shut it down. I then deleted it off the 8830. When it deleted it freed up about 5 Meg of memory. Is the app consuming 4.7 MB of memory in files - not when I look at the database files. Then I loaded FreeRange - much smaller footprint on the 8830. So is it the app or is it the system - who knows.

If you bought a 40 Gig hard drive on a computer, and it arrived with 8 Gig available, I think you would be upset - unless of course it was advertised as an 8 Gig drive. Also, the medial card seems to be next to useless for relieving this memory shortage. I haven't found any programs that will utilize it. If you are familiar with PPCs or Palm devices, you know this is a feature that is readily available on those platforms. RSS readers are one application that could greatly reduce their memory requirements if the feeds could be located on the media card.

This may change over time, but for right now it is pretty frustrating.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by woodi68
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Of course I am taking the wrong side of this arguement, but what the hell, I'll give it a try.

I think this is all WAY over own. Do you all also expect a 40 gig hd to come fully loaded and still have 40 gig to load stuff on? Of course I also understand the percentages we're talking about here: 20 megs of 64 vs 29 gig of 40 on a fresh PC. Think about it though! 44 megs used to store every apication and piece of data on the device that runs your life. I think it sounds reasonable. I'm not sure what percent of other devices' flash is being used but it can't be too much different than this.

I wiped mine clean and had 20 MB free. Not sure why the difference between my 20 MB and your 15.62 MB. Verizon came up with the same results with one of their units - 20 MB free.

I did try and file a ticket with Verizon on this issue, but got nowhere. I called RIM and they wouldn't talk to me unless I agreed to pay for support - what a company. Brand new device and they want me to pay them to report a problem. Only way they would talk to me is for Verizon to be on the line. Didn't matter that Verizon gave me their number and told me to call them directly. I know someone will jump in and say this is fine, since I purchased the phone from Verizon. We won't agree on that point. If you made the device, you support it. The problem here is that RIM sees Verizon as their customer, not me.

The rep I spoke to at Verizon did agree to do some research on this, and get back to me before the end of the week. If I hear anything, I will post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    I myself am still waiting for a response from RIM/DART. My Support Account Manager, is pushing on this for me.

As soon as I hear something, I will let you know.

I Wiped and reloaded my device Tuesday morning (Erased all Applications and Application Data)
    I have reprovisioned my device on the BES for Email, Calendar and Contacts, etc.
    After re-provisioning I had 15.62 mb available on the device.

My device has since fluctuated between 12mb and 16mb available. Device currently sits on 12.87mb available.

I have not reloaded any 3rd party apps, themes or Ringtones (Except what media I have on my Micro SD card).

I will test like this for a few days, and see how the available memory behaves.

Then I will begin installing apps one at a time.

Dont get me wrong... I love the device. If there is no solution for this Memory issue, I am not giving this device up. I will find a way to work around it. :-) I am not fond of the Blue backlight, but can function fine with it. I am quickly adapting to the keyboard, as I have to all of the previous devices I have used. (This keyboard still beats the Q, Treo, Blackjack, and any other PDA on the market) In my opinion. lol

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Actually, after I wiped the data and Applications via App Loader, I had 17.1 mb of free space on the device.

After I provisioned on the BES, then I had 15.62mb of free space..

17.1 and 20 still is a 3mb difference. Strange.

I did delete the other languages - kept only English. Not sure how much space they occupied. Also, have media set to take up 12 MB - do you have yours set to 15 MB by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    Actually, after I wiped the data and Applications via App Loader, I had 17.1 mb of free space on the device.

After I provisioned on the BES, then I had 15.62mb of free space..

17.1 and 20 still is a 3mb difference. Strange.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast