Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Here is my situation with memory. I just moved over from a Treo 700p. Did ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

JustLeft no está en línea Stack level 2

BB 8830 - What happened to my memory - my Treo never did this!

Advertisement

Here is my situation with memory. I just moved over from a Treo 700p. Did the switch two days ago to a BB 8830. I really like the device and have loaded a couple of apps on it. Much to my horror though, I am finding that I have '0' Bytes in File Free. I have 47,841,280 in File Total.

This has got me totally confused. I have loaded the following apps:
    Journal Bar
    Worldmate Professional Edition
    Viigo
    Beyond 411 Search
    Pocket Express (Handmark)

The question is how these 5 apps can fill up the 8830. Is that all that can be loaded? If so, I will probably be returning this device. But I am wondering if I am not missing something simple here. I also have a 1 gig card installed in the 8830.

I checked my files and I have less than 1K for them - I have 300 contacts, maybe 20 emails. I have only 1 calendar entry that reoccurs every 4 weeks. I have not ported my calendar over yet (just a test appointment) because of this lack of memory.

With my Treo 700P I could run a program that would allow me to see what is taking up all this memory. Haven't found anything yet that would do this on the 8830. So I really don't know what is going on. I suspect Viigo might be chewing up memory with the rss feeds, but I have deleted content from the RSS feeds, and it still shows '0' byes in File Free.

I have also cleared cache from the browser - but again the File Free is still zero.

Well I deleted Pocket Express from Handmark, and with that one application gone, I now have 16,323,126 Bytes in File Free. Not sure how one app can consume so much space. Nothing hear is similar to what I would see on my Treo. Is there any way to diagnose this issue without deleting the other 4 apps?
    Last edited by JustLeft; 05-28-2007 at 01:38 AM.

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Re: BB 8830 - What happened to my memory?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I have brought the memory issue up on another thread.

This is a big concern for me. This has happened to mine several times. My device will work its way down to zero bytes free with normal usage (I have been blaming it on the MP3 and Video usage).

When I pop the Battery the device will get back at 9 to 10mb free.

No true answers as to why, yet..

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Delete the following from your BB (if you don't use them) and see if it frees up any memory. This worked for me on my Pearl a few days ago:

Password Keeper
    Device Help
    Any language files you don't use (it's best to do this via Desktop Manager>Application Loader)
    Preloaded videos, pictures and ringtones
    Search
    Voice Activated Dialing
    Voice Notes
    Themes

If there is a newer OS for your 8830 (search the forum for 8300 OS), I would highly suggest upgrading the OS. Some of the OS's shipped with the 88xx and 8100 models drain memory out of the box. I learned this the hard way.

Thanks Dolphin for that reminder. I forgot that pulling the battery out for 30 seconds and reinserting it (on a regular basis) also help. Also, on a regular basis, clearing your browser cache, pushed content, cookies, history, etc help.

I did all of the above the other day and tripled my memory from 9MB to 27MB.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 05-28-2007 at 01:46 AM.

I have a near virgin device. I have no Video or MP3's on it - just the applications listed above. If the numbers I am seeing are accurate, there seems to be a memory leak somewhere here. I saw your earlier thread, but thought it was questioning what was in File Total, not what was in File Free.

I will pop the battery and see what that does. Hope this gets resolved, otherwise it's back to the Treo - but I really want to like this 8830.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    I have brought the memory issue up on another thread.

This is a big concern for me. This has happened to mine several times. My device will work its way down to zero bytes free with normal usage (I have been blaming it on the MP3 and Video usage).

When I pop the Battery the device will get back at 9 to 10mb free.

No true answers as to why, yet..

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

You might just have a faulty 8830. If it keeps doing this, I would take it back and get it exchanged. There are going to be issues with any new device such as this one because it doesn't do just email, messaging and browsing like the models prior to the 8100 model.

Dolphinrich, Thanks for your PM, appreciate you keeping me posted. I would have replied via PM, but I don't have 10 posts - so no luck - this is post 3.

I also tried pulling the battery, but didn't get much space back, still sitting at 16meg.

My guess is that they are all like this - but that is just a guess. Pulling the battery had little impact for me. Got very little space back. One of the things I was wondering is how can you force applications to use the card vs memory. This is easy to do in a Treo, but not sure how to do it on the 8830. Viigo has the potential for storing a lot of stuff as it is an RSS reader that downloads images. This would be an application that I would think should use the card for it's temp storage.

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    You might just have a faulty 8830. If it keeps doing this, I would take it back and get it exchanged. There are going to be issues with any new device such as this one because it doesn't do just email, messaging and browsing like the models prior to the 8100 model.

I have gone through the 8830 manual and looked for any way to view what is in memory. I could find out how to view files, but could find no way to view what was in memory for applications. Is there a program that can be loaded on the 8830 to see what is using memory, and how much it is using?

benway no está en línea Stack level 2

does the desktop manager give you available memory info?

hope that helps

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

To see what memory is being used by the different apps as opposed to for go to Options/Status, open the menu and select database sizes.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

I did that and I am showing 551.7K in database sizes. After I deleted Pocket Express I had 16meg free on the device. Over night, with me not touching the 8830, memory dropped to under 16 meg. So, if I am figuring this out correctly, there is 48 MB possible minus the 16 MB that is left, so the 4 apps I have are consuming 32MB. Never seen anything like this on any other device that I have owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    To see what memory is being used by the different apps as opposed to for go to Options/Status, open the menu and select database sizes.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Is there a way to see how much memory is being used by the OS, or each application? 'Database Sizes' shows you how much memory your data is using in each database. (i.e. emails, phone logs, etc) Is there a way to see specifically where the first 17mb has gone out of the box?

Too me the problem of losing 17mb out of the box, compared to the other Blackberry devices, and seeing them periodically run down to zero bytes available are somehow linked.

This has been happening to my device for 2 weeks. I am working around it, and still functional, but is frustrating.

This seems to be a gaping hole in the 8830. I have searched through these forums looking for some type of memory utility program, but to no avail. Very frustrating. Dolphinrich, what applications do you have loaded? Perhaps we can figure this out the old fashioned way - application by application. Wondering if there is one app that we share that could be causing the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinrich
    Is there a way to see how much memory is being used by the OS, or each application? 'Database Sizes' shows you how much memory your data is using in each database. (i.e. emails, phone logs, etc) Is there a way to see specifically where the first 17mb has gone out of the box?

Too me the problem of losing 17mb out of the box, compared to the other Blackberry devices, and seeing them periodically run down to zero bytes available are somehow linked.

This has been happening to my device for 2 weeks. I am working around it, and still functional, but is frustrating.
    Last edited by JustLeft; 05-28-2007 at 04:52 PM.

I am using an mac, so I think I am out of luck. PocketMac does not show the amount of space that an application consumes.

Quote Originally Posted by benway
    does the desktop manager give you available memory info?

hope that helps

PDUB204 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i found I go into status and click the menu key and choose database sizes this will then list the apps and how much space they are taking. I then deleted the hogs I was not using and did a battery pull and doubled my memory. As far as saving to card I just use menu key and choose move to card. This works for pics and ringtones I am not sure about moving applications to fun from cardm. Maybe 3rd party software similar to power run for Treo is available

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast