Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello all, finally after residing in US for 10 years i decided to buy a ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

sbpurohit no está en línea Stack level 1

bb 4.5 update messed up the bbmaps

Advertisement

Hello all, finally after residing in US for 10 years i decided to buy a cell phone and after reading long debates on which to buy based on operating system settled on an unlocked blackberry 8820 (from newegg which was tmobile). after receiving the phone i powered it up and downloaded the desktop manager 5.01 from bb's north american website. installed the application. before connecting the bb8820 i just checked the menu and found that it has bbmaps, which gave me a grid like pattern in the office (here i am assuming that the program was fine). so finally connected my 8820 to the computer and fired desktop manager, which promptly informed me about the updated software is available, to which i promptly clicked yes, that fatal click was the start of my problems, the maps were gone i googled and found a ton of posting on how to make the bb maps work on ATT phones but nothing on tmobile. so finally i downloaded the dm 4.7.0.32 and 4.5.0139 os from t mobile's website, and did a clean install using JLcmdr. still same issue the maps are not there. now i have a phone without working maps, i tried google maps it is giving me a network error, nav4all and amazegps needs data plan i will not be taking a data plan. I have tried everything which is available on net for these maps to work, i either get that the lbs.xxx.cod file is not same, or it is not matching with lbs_xxx.cod or some lang error. I will appreciate if someone can provide be a step by step procedure to work.

azstar no está en línea PINStacked!
    BBmaps requires a data plan in order to work. You saw a grid instead of an actual map because you had no data so the actual map data could not be downloaded.
    Twitter? My Apps List

Current SmartPhone: Motorola DROID Rooted, Running Project Elite v4

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Yep azstar is correct bb maps requires a data plan to work

bb maps messed up

Thanks to you all for the help. here is the modified procedure which i followed to get the bb maps working on 8820.

Delete the non-functional bb maps from your black berry using desktop manager before proceeding.
    Download lbs1.2 maps from bb website
    This zip file has a java folder in it. Extract the zip folder in one location and name the folder lbs1.2. This folder has a total of 16 files, you need 10 files from here which starts with “net_rim_bb_lbs” and one ribbon file. Do not use the lbs_template.alx (it will not work for the procedure described here). This procedure makes use of the loader.exe.
    From the lbs1.2\java folder copy “net_rim_bb_lbs-1.cod” there are 9 files, copy these nine files to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8820-v4.5.0.139_P2.7.0.98\Java” folder.
    Go to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8820-v4.5.0.139_P2.7.0.98.\Java” and rename the “net_rim_bb_lbs.cod” to “net_rim_bb_lbs_new.cod”
    Copy the “net_rim_bb_lbs.cod” from the lbs1.2 folder to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8820-v4.5.0.139_P2.7.0.98.\Java”
    Go to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8820-v4.5.0.139_P2.7.0.98.\Java” and rename the “net_rim_bb_lbs_api.cod” to “net_rim_bb_lbs_api_new.cod”.
    Copy the “net_rim_bb_lbs_api.cod” from the lbs1.2 folder to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8820-v4.5.0.139_P2.7.0.98.\Java”
    Copy the “net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod” from the lbs1.2 folder to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8820-v4.5.0.139_P2.7.0.98.\Java”
    Open the LBS.alx file located in “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8820-v4.5.0.139_P2.7.0.98.\” using Notepad, do not make notepad as a default handler
    Locate the following section
    </language>
    <directory SystemSize="normal">Java</directory>
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    Modify this file as follows by adding the names of 9 cod files from the lbs1.2 maps, the api file, and the ribbon file
    </language>
    <directory SystemSize="normal">Java</directory>
    <fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
    <files>
    net_rim_bb_lbs.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs_api.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs_api_2.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-1.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-2.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-3.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-4.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-5.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-6.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-7.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-8.cod
    net_rim_bb_lbs-9.cod

connect your bb8820 to the computer using usb cable
    now go to “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader” folder and double click on “Loader.exe”.
    the resulting window will list your bb hit connect.
    In the final application loader window, select bb maps hit next and wait till all the files are copied and the bb is restarted. You can now disconnect your bb and bb maps should now work.

So you do have a data plan then if you can get actual maps to load.
    Twitter? My Apps List

no data plan

Ok, so if you are not paying for some sort of data plan then you have hacked your device to illegally access/steal data.......
    not cool
    Twitter? My Apps List

i have not hacked it, i only enabled my gps maps in bb 8820, now my understanding after reading the posts is that bb maps do not require a data plan if the phone has an internal gps. if bb maps needs the data plan then the sucker is going back and i will buy a windows based phone and use google maps for an integrated gps

That enables the gps, but without data access neither bbmaps or google maps can fetch the actual maps. The gps can find your location, but the gps nor the device store the maps. They are accessed through data transmission when the programs are eventually in use. even on a windows mobile device you need some data access for google maps
    Twitter? My Apps List

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    I dont know about now, but six mths ago or so I had a BB, and tried BB maps and it was not available on 4.5 or higher.

iLord is DEAD!

Yes, BB maps works with 4.5 and higher, comes included in the OS/device software package
    Twitter? My Apps List

sooner no está en línea Stack Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by azstar View Post
    Yes, BB maps works with 4.5 and higher, comes included in the OS/device software package
    Well, that tells you that I have been out of the loop.

iLord is DEAD!

I tried the pharos 619 and google maps was working nicely with the gps, i did not have a data plan infact right now i do not even took a cell phone plan. i am unable to make the google maps work with bb it always gives me a network error.

i will try today the bb maps and post the results tommorrow.

darn it, i got the network error, but i will keep trying to get the bb maps work as a stand alone gps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast