Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK. Here is the issue. I ordered an 8800 from TMO Monday. Received it Tuesday. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

capitalist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23FA5CD0

Question Bad luck or Coincidence?TWICE! You decide TMO 8800 Device Problems

Advertisement

OK. Here is the issue. I ordered an 8800 from TMO Monday. Received it Tuesday. After using the phone for 2 hours, I was inputing text into the memo app, and received an Uncaught Exception java.lang.classcastexception. I could not remove the error. Or even reset the blackberry without pulling out the battery. Even after pulling out the battery the error did not go away. The first 8800 was deemed defective after I spent 8 hours on the phone speaking with TMO and RIM support. I went through about 15 different people!!!!!!!!!!! I was even unable to have my computer and the device manager recognize the device via the USB connection.

Then TMO deviced to send me a replacement. After wasting 8 hours of my time that is. I was so upset and frustrated. The excitement from ordering the RIM 8800 from TMO on Monday (when it was first released) quickly turned into a mild depressive state.

Ok....fast forward three days. It took them three days to replace the phone. The policy of TMO is that they have to charge for the phone again, and when receive the defective phone, they will start a crediting process which takes up to 30 days. So by this point I spent over $800 just to receive a phone.

By the way, for the device I ordered Monday I payed extra to get it shipped overnight.

Ok. So I received the replacement Blackberry 8800 via UPS at around 2pm at my door. At that time, I had my defective device packed and gave it to the UPS delivery guy. I opened up the new RIM 8800 (the second one) and everything seemed to work fine. That is until I tried writing a memo. After inputting text into the memo, I received the same error. At this point I called TMO and RIM. RIM gave me a Case number from the first device issue.

Ok. so I had this device. Since I wasn't using the device that long, I didn't have any important data, and wiping it out wasn't a big deal. I used the device for another 10 hours. Everything worked fine. (Friday).

Saturday in the morning I wake up and I start using my 8800. After going into the address book application, I added a photo to one of my contents. After successfully adding the photo to my contact in the Address Book, the same error "Uncaught Exception java.lang.classcastexception" popped up. This was beggining to get annoying and inconvenient for me. But I thought the problem would be fixed after I wiped the device using Javaloader in the cmd prompt and reinstalled the system and apps.

Yes, it seemed to work. In fact I was using my device, talking with clients (D.Tole), and others when after working on the device and receiving important emails pushed from my corporate email accounts, I accessed the phone application. I pushed the ALT ESC and navigated to the phone icon with the trackball. I tried entering a number, but then the UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION error popped up again. By this point, this problem was becoming extremely annoying and I lost data which could not be replaced. It was around 6:32 when this second error popped up. Note: when you get this error, you cannot remove it, you cannot access menu or other functions and even if you do a hard reset by removing the battery, the error does not go away.

I was unable to return home until 10:30. In the mean time, I was isolated. The phone didn't work. I lost my contacts. I was loosing business and time. Up until now I spent $800 for this phone. This phone ended up costing me $3000 dollars today (adding the clients and business which I was supposed to do when out of the office).

I got home and immediately called TMO to explain the situation. They had no explanation and only offered to send me a replacement. I would have had to go the the process again, and I would receive my phone no earlier than Wednesday May 2, of next week. Can you believe this? I've ordered a $400 phone on Monday, expecting to receive a functioning phone on Tuesday. That didn't happen. Received a replacement on Friday. Lost $3000 worth of business on Saturday, and I have to wait longer, and no refund or retrieval of data I lost for my business or the time I spent on the phone?

Upon speaking with TMO, which couldn't do anything. I cancelled the service and demanded a refund for the 2 phones I payed for. TMO will not reinburse me for time spent with Customer support or for the money I lost because of this defective TMO Blackberry 8800.

I've just decided I will sign up with CINGULAR. Even though I have to pay extra for GPS and seperate phone and wireless, at least I will get a functioning device and I will not loose as much time and money as I did with TMO.

QUESTIONS:

1. Should I report this case to the media? I think it's very unfair that I had to waste so much time and loose so much money because TMO sent me defective devices.

2. Was there a better option for me?
    (note: I am a professional corp startup pres and I pretty much run my company. i need blackberry push email and easy interface.)

3. Have you ever experienced the "Uncaught Exception java.lang.classcastexception" error on your BB8800 device?

4. My PIN for this device (which I just cancelled service for and getting new service and BB8800 with Cingular) was 205CA8B3. If you were on my BB Messenger contact list, please hold on. I will add you once I get my new device.

5. I am coping with this problem, and need support. Please post your PIN so I can add you when I get the device. Professionals, blackberry experts, etc are welcome to add me.

6. How long have you had your BB 8800 and with what carrier? Please describe your experience.

Thanks all for your support!

CAPITALIST
    aka MIKE

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: Bad luck or Coincidence?TWICE! You decide TMO 8800 Device Problems

Wow! That is crazy but I have not used the 8800 yet. But I have experienced the uncaught exception errors on 2 out of 5 7100 and 2 8100 series devices. Fortunately I have been able to remove them without losing data or contacts. The only exception to this was my original Pearl which shut down 3 weeks ago.

I have had excellent service with TMobile since 2003. I have had 9 BlackBerries (4 different models and 5 replacements) thru them.

I had only one problem getting one of them replaced. I had a replacement 7100t get delivered to the wrong address after the original one I had stopped working. They never notified me and it showed up 4 months later. By this time I had already used a third 7100t and my first 7105t.

My only other issue with TMobile was last year when they tried to say I didn't pay my bill on time (this was wrong because my mom paid them for me). I had to fax proof of my payments because I was in the hospital the first time it happened. Took me 3 months but I finally won that battle.

I understand that frustration. I almost switched back to Cingular after going thru all this. But all I had to do was threaten cancellation and everything got solved.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ To answer your other questions:

1) TMobile reps read the forums so this may get their attention.

2) There are other full keyboard BB's available but the 8800 is the newest.

3) I already answered tha in my original post.

4) I am sure your contacts will read this post.

5) This was also answered above in the first post.

jsternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23DFE188

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I am sorry to hear about your horrible luck with your Tmo 8800. I do not wish anyone to go through what you had to. I would definitely report this to the media, as it appears to be a defective product that Tmo is proudly selling without taking much liability for. It just seems as if the company Is turning the cheek and that really is pathetic. Especially since Tmo is rated number one once again in customer service and appreciation for the third time in a row (is that correct?) You claim to have lost 3000 dollars of business because of your defective phone, so I am sure that if one of the tmo reps was to have lost 3000 in a day due to the 8800 they wouldn't be so blasae (spelling error?) They would be just as infuriated as you!

Second, I know this is not an excuse but I always tend and wait at least six months before buying a newly released phone, due to the fact that all the bugs and kinks aren't out (but the cell co. Do not care, they just want to make money!).

Third, I have a 8800 through cingular and I can tell you that I have never ever faced a uncaught java error like you have, everything runs well. The only problem I would say is that the cingular 8800 now and then has internet connection issues. The internet will act a little sluggish and lost, but a simply battery removal does the trick! I hope that you get fully re-payed and that you have beter luck with cingular. Keep us all posted on how things go. Good luck.

PIN/ID
    23FA5CD0

JSTERNBACK, thanks for the support. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the TMO service last night after I realized I was loosing more money by staying with the service and device.

Today's Sunday and I will be going to a Cingular store to purchase a new BB 8800 and service plan. I have to wait about 30-40 days to get my card credited with about $770 dollars which I was charged. (Note: None of the TMO reps told me exactly how much I was going to be charged when I re-ordered a replacement). Anyway, I will forget about TMO and focus on my business. Enough is enough. The 30-40 day crediting process is a real hassle. With the amount of time I wasted with TMO they should make the credit overnight!

Ok.

I have to wait until Monday to ship this package back via UPS.

Its good to head that the 8800 on Cingular isn't giving you any errors or problems. Thats exactly what I need now.

PIN/ID
    23FA5CD0

Quote Originally Posted by EricaJ1073
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ To answer your other questions:

1) TMobile reps read the forums so this may get their attention.

2) There are other full keyboard BB's available but the 8800 is the newest.

3) I already answered tha in my original post.

4) I am sure your contacts will read this post.

5) This was also answered above in the first post.

Thanks for the reply.

TMO reps couldn't help me when I was on the phone with them for total of 12 hours.

I specifically payed for a functioning 8800. Got charged for it twice, as I received a replacement. But the replacement was defective as well. I should've gone with Cingular in the first place.

Capitalist

Quote Originally Posted by capitalist
    JSTERNBACK, thanks for the support. Unfortunately, I had to cancel the TMO service last night after I realized I was loosing more money by staying with the service and device.

Today's Sunday and I will be going to a Cingular store to purchase a new BB 8800 and service plan. I have to wait about 30-40 days to get my card credited with about $770 dollars which I was charged. (Note: None of the TMO reps told me exactly how much I was going to be charged when I re-ordered a replacement). Anyway, I will forget about TMO and focus on my business. Enough is enough. The 30-40 day crediting process is a real hassle. With the amount of time I wasted with TMO they should make the credit overnight!

Ok.

I have to wait until Monday to ship this package back via UPS.

Its good to head that the 8800 on Cingular isn't giving you any errors or problems. Thats exactly what I need now.

Most replacements I have had cost $9.99 for shipment in 7 to 10 days or $15 for 3 day shipping from TMobile.

tessitori no está en línea Stack level 3

If you wanna save money you can purchase a BB8800 through amazon and select the Cingular provider. I paid $175.00 for the phone and there was a $25.oo rebate.

YOu can still use the GPS for free. I followed someones advice and downloaded mapquest navigator, selected a different model that was listed and now I am very happy that I free navigator.

Good luck on your purchase.

PIN/ID
    23FA5CD0

Thanks for the advice Tessitori. I just returned home from Cingular. Got the phone, paid a lot more for service and the phone plus accessories, and my plan is over $100 per month, but I guess its better than TMO. As for Amazon, I just dont have the time to wait for the device to get shipped.

Is the free navigator the TELENAV? I dont have a particular use for it but I got the service anyway.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by tessitori
    If you wanna save money you can purchase a BB8800 through amazon and select the Cingular provider. I paid $175.00 for the phone and there was a $25.oo rebate.

YOu can still use the GPS for free. I followed someones advice and downloaded mapquest navigator, selected a different model that was listed and now I am very happy that I free navigator.

Good luck on your purchase.

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~Ive had the 8800 on Cingular since it came out. I love it. You can use Mapquest with the GPS for free. My pin is 23F27DDC

nimocone no está en línea Stack level 3

Telenav is not the free GPS program. It might be free to use for 30 days but after that you have to pay $9 or $10 a month. You should try out Mapquest.

PIN/ID
    23FA5CD0

Thanks for the support and help all! UPDATE POST

Here's the update: I do have a functioning BB 8800 now. My carrier is Cingular. I did pay for the Telenav. The feature is pretty neat. It including voice GPS directions, compass, speed, directions, business directory, zoom, and lots more. Its worth every penny of the $10 service price per month.

I got one of those Jawbone, background noise eliminating bluetooth headsets. Works fine, just have some trouble figuring out if the noise shield is on.

I noticed its slow to receive email messages with attachments. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, depending on the attachment size to get this email pushed to my BB.

Thats about it.

__________________________________________________ _-
    Wendy< I added you.

Erica<thanks for all the posts
    __________________________________________________ _-

Capitalist

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

Have both a Cingualar and Tmobile 8800. No problems like that to report at all. Have even attempted to see if I can duplicate it to no avail. Been a loyal Tmo customer since 2002 and have never had any problems with support or exchanges. Just an FYI.

PIN/ID
    23FA5CD0

Smile Re: Bad luck or Coincidence?TWICE! You decide TMO 8800 Device Problems

Quote Originally Posted by bglawrence
    Have both a Cingualar and Tmobile 8800. No problems like that to report at all. Have even attempted to see if I can duplicate it to no avail. Been a loyal Tmo customer since 2002 and have never had any problems with support or exchanges. Just an FYI.
    Thats really good to hear bglawrence. Unfortunatelly wasn't the case for me as I explained in the original post.

Why do you have two BB 8800's with different Carriers?

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

Just my opinion caused you asked in your post if anyone believed you should go to media on this. Frankly, going to the media wont be a big enough story unless you can find hundreds with the same issues. Seems very possible that there's a bad batch out there though delivered to TMO which would be more of a RIM issue than TMobile. Afterall, Tmo isnt the manufacturer. Biggest issue I have with TMO is the darn 2-3 second delay when calling a non tmobile number! End up saying hello 2-3 times before the other party heres anything. Now that is inconvenient!!

I don't have two different carriers. Cingular 8800 is unlocked for Tmo service - one of employees uses that one and I have the Tmo version which I got the after they came out. Everyone else in my company is still using the Pearl 8100.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast