OK first post but not a complete neub with this unit. I just today DL'd ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

steakman no está en línea Stack level 1

Backup to Desktop: Will not...

Advertisement

OK first post but not a complete neub with this unit.

I just today DL'd the latest Desktop and application (BB core) in order to restor BB messenger. Went to do a backup and this is the screen i get:

oh brother...can't post a URL (PIC), till I get how many posts...?? why.? OK fine. Anyway the BB goes through its thing showing a number of different bar graphs until it seems almost done and then I get a message that says: COMMUNICATION ERROR - The data was not recognized by the device.

KInda weird. Not sure if this is due to 3rd party install of some sort or what. Only thing I have ever DL'd was a theme .. so far..??

thanx in advanz,

stk

Sci-Tek no está en línea Stack level 4

Re: Backup to Desktop: Will not...

I believe there was another user with the same issue yesterday, no solution was meet there. But a workarround was provided, a quick google for your error message shows others users experiencing the same, they had to wipe the BB in order to get it to work.
    But workarround seems like a better option:

In backup options you can select / deselect what to backup.
    See in DM which steps it fails at, remove that step from the settings and do a backup again.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

Quote Originally Posted by steakman View Post
    oh brother...can't post a URL (PIC), till I get how many posts...?? why.? OK fine.
    The reason for this is to prevent bots or Spam from hitting the site.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Here's what you can do:

Remove the Content Store database before backing up the data on your BlackBerry device.
    1. In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, double-click Backup and Restore.
    2. Click Advanced. The Handheld Databases list appears.
    3. In the Handheld Databases list, hold down theCtrl key and select every application exceptContent Store.
    4. Click the arrow key to copy the applications over to theDesktop File Databases list. You may be prompted to enter your BlackBerry device password.
    5. Go to File > Save to save the back-up file.
    OR

Clear the Content Store database.
    1. In Desktop Manager, double-click Backup and Restore.
    2. Click Advanced. The Handheld Databases list appears.
    3. In the Handheld Databases list, scroll to and select Content Store.
    4. Click Clear to clear the Content Store.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

steakman no está en línea Stack level 1

thank you both.

Understood the spam/bots.

Thank you for the workaround. Will try that right now. Posted in another forum (shall remain unnamed), and no answers. Guess I'll stick around.!

The step that the error message comes up at is "Receiveing Phone Options". I did what you suggested but leaving that out. Backup worked. Just what are the "phone options" anyway..?

by
    thanx again.

stk
    Last edited by steakman; 01-31-2008 at 12:03 PM.

europamancunia no está en línea Stack level 1
    Quote Originally Posted by steakman View Post
    thank you both.

Understood the spam/bots.

Thank you for the workaround. Will try that right now. Posted in another forum (shall remain unnamed), and no answers. Guess I'll stick around.!

The step that the error message comes up at is "Receiveing Phone Options". I did what you suggested but leaving that out. Backup worked. Just what are the "phone options" anyway..?

by
    thanx again.

stk
    Worked for me, thanksy guys/gals... cleared the Phone Options on the right then the backup worked as normal. Phone options are just things like: voicemail number and access code, dial from home screen, auto-end calls in holster, call waiting, barring etc. Once workaround was complete it had just reset all the options to default...at which they will stay. Clearing did not affect any call forwarding, call waiting or barring settings already in place.