Is it possible to get audio to come out of the 2.5mm or 1/12" jack ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

iam8up no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    20673FE5

Audio out the headphone jack

Advertisement

Is it possible to get audio to come out of the 2.5mm or 1/12" jack above the USB port? I'm interested in making this my MP3 player and using headphones to listen to music.

By default it plays with the speaker but the default media player allows you to switch it to the handset speaker. Both of these options don't recognize the headphones as an output source.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Re: Audio out the headphone jack

Yes, but you'd need find a 2.5mm Stereo/Mic jack and wire it to whatever size you need for your stereo. I checked Radio Shack, and couldn't find any 2.5mm jacks, but maybe a visit to a store would be more successful. You could always buy a headset and chop it up yourself.

OR, if you have a computer hooked up to your stereo, you could just plug your BlackBerry in and use Mass Storage Mode to access the music.
    JerryD

krosli no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    747101D2

If you want to use the BB as a MP3, you can purchase an adapter that transform the 2.5m jack to a standard 3.5mm. Hope this answers your question.

PIN/ID
    20673FE5

There are a couple things I learned here..

1) You must plug in the cable BEFORE starting the media player!
    2) You need a "special" 2.5mm cable - one with two rings is mono, and I believe 4 rings is stereo (mic, too, maybe?)

I'm finding that the cable with part number ADABB8100M35 is the best solution.

I don't understand what logic comes from needing to plug the analog cable in before the media player - that's completely opposite of every other device I've seen, but that's how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by krosli View Post
    If you want to use the BB as a MP3, you can purchase an adapter that transform the 2.5m jack to a standard 3.5mm. Hope this answers your question.
    That is my goal. My car has a 3.5mm jack (AKA headphones) that I wanted my phone to get in to.

Thanks for the replies! I believe once I start using the above mentioned cable and plug it in before starting music I should be good to go =)

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3

Quote Originally Posted by krosli View Post
    i tried it and it dosent work, my friend also tried it too and never told me until i mentioned it to him and it didnt work for him either. we both have pearls 8100's. what i bought was the 2.5 to the 3.5 adapter at radio shack for about $10, because i had some really nice headphones i wanted to use on my BB. Someone also told me at a US cellular store only blackberry headphones work on blackberry's so dont waste your money on adapters or aftermarket headphones.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

the radio shack adaptor is not the right size and wont work i tried all of them you either have to prder the seido adaptor use a pair of head phones that come with the 2.5 plug or use a pair of bluetooth headphones if your using a pearl the bluetooth wont work i would go with the seido option since all the headphones i have tried like the body glove great sound but dont last long

phatmanxxl no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    3M TA3

^^^ thanks cause i was thinking on buying some BT headphone for my pearl too.

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

You can definitely use your BB as MP3 player. I use my BB 8820 as MP3 player all the time.
    Just be careful with the adapters. I used Radioshack adapter (2.5mm male to 3.5mm female) but got only a single channel sound. It is quite annoying.
    The same goes for Seidio
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=529

You _need_ to get an adapter that has "two rings". Basically, two black plastic rings, and not three, on 2.5mm male jack. Another one that has three rings is for example
    http://www.blackberrysource.com/stor....asp?item=2066

The two-rings jack looks like this
    http://www.amazon.com/2-5mm-3-5mm-St.../dp/B000GUNDIA
    I didn't use this particular one, so I can't really recommend it. There's plenty of those, but for some reason it does not usually say it is compatible with BBs.

Good luck!

PIN/ID
    20673FE5
    Quote Originally Posted by cubus View Post
    You can definitely use your BB as MP3 player. I use my BB 8820 as MP3 player all the time.
    Just be careful with the adapters. I used Radioshack adapter (2.5mm male to 3.5mm female) but got only a single channel sound. It is quite annoying.
    The same goes for Seidio
    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=529

You _need_ to get an adapter that has "two rings". Basically, two black plastic rings, and not three, on 2.5mm male jack. Another one that has three rings is for example
    http://www.blackberrysource.com/stor....asp?item=2066

The two-rings jack looks like this
    http://www.amazon.com/2-5mm-3-5mm-St.../dp/B000GUNDIA
    I didn't use this particular one, so I can't really recommend it. There's plenty of those, but for some reason it does not usually say it is compatible with BBs.

Good luck!

The way I understand it is 2 rings = left channel, ground and 3 rings = left channel, right channel, ground and 4 rings = left channel, right channel, mic, ground.

Doesn't this mean I want 3 or 4 rings on the connector? I'm seeing two different stories here. I tried a two ring (on the 2.5mm end) adapter that only gave me left channel.

ykwak no está en línea Stack level 1
    WARNING!!! The SEIDO.com 2.5mm to 3.5mm Audio Jack Converter for the 8100 Pearl DOES NOT WORK WELL.

It is a bad design. If you plug the 3.5mm headphone jack all the way in, you only get 1-channel audio.

If you push it in ALMOST to the end, and hold it, you get 2-channel audio.

BAD QUALITY CHINA PRODUCT.

RIP OFF.

Same thing for $5 bucks shipped from Ebay.

bsteenkamp no está en línea Stack level 1
    From experience, don't bother with normal 2.5mm adapters/headphones/anything. The 8100/8800 models come with headphnoes that work well and you can plug them in anytime to start using them (whilst Media player is on). The only way I got my in-ear buds to work was to cut the cables on both and solder them onto each other.

PS! Fantastic sound on the tube now, but just lost the %**&$ŁŁ"Ł$ rubber-sleeve of a headphone.

bsteenkamp no está en línea Stack level 1
    Found the site explaining what to do. Good luck though, need baby fingers for this one...can't post links, so here goes:
    1) Google "blackberry headphones, resistor"
    2) Go to the PDF file under "How to use ANY Headphones with the Blackberry Pearl"

PIN/ID
    20673FE5

chaos671991 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I purchased an LG headset at Bestbuy. It has a 3.5 adapter on the block built into the line. The block contains the mic, volume controle and a button that pauses play and/or answers call. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~