My 8800 auto - powers on at 730 AM. Many mornings, my wife tries to ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Paperboy2007 no está en línea Stack level 3

AT&T or RIMM problem??? 8800 doesn't ring...

Advertisement

My 8800 auto - powers on at 730 AM. Many mornings, my wife tries to call me soon after. Most days she says that she hears the phone ring on her side and it never goes into voicemail. On my side, my bbry never rings and I have no idea that anyone is calling.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any ideas on how to fix this?

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: AT&T or RIMM problem??? 8800 doesn't ring...

If you are downloading email at the time, that might cause it. But it should go to VM I would think.

Im not doing anything when this happens....the BBRY powers on automatically and is just sitting there and doesn't ring. After a while, it seems to work properly...

joewoo no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    22CF1F2F

So does the bb say "missed call" and u don't hear anything??

Or it does it act like you never even got a call?

Acts like I never got a call. No ring and my wife says it never even goes into Vmail. On one hand I'd say that it was a problem with my physical BBRY, but on the other hand it seems like it's a problem with AT&T...

Fiasco no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20D434D0

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~she sure she's dialing the right number? If so, then I would get in touch with at&t about it.

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8

hmm never had that prblem mines tmo thogh do you have it on vibrate or of? also if you had a specifice file for the phone tune an it is no longer ther thet might be the prblem too im also usng the latest version of the rim OS for th 8800 the Vodaphone varient with chineese input options and som bugs got fixed too

Themetria no está en línea Stack level 2

Lightbulb Re: AT&T or RIMM problem??? 8800 doesn't ring...

The best way to determine if the issue is a network or handset related issue is to do an isolation test. This means taking your SIM card out of your Blackberry 8800 device and temporarily testing it in another handset (another Blackberry 8800 is always ideal, but not necessary if it will determine a network fault). If the same issue occurs when testing in another handset under the same conditions (obviously we can't replicate the 'auto-on' feature, but I am doubting that would matter if it is the network), then we can determine two things:

1. The problem may be network related, with the BTS located near you.
    2. The problem may be SIM card related, you may require a SIM replacement.

If the issue does not persist when testing your SIM card in another handset, it will be an issue related to the handset. It may be hardware related, or it may be something as simple as the auto-on feature requiring the device to search for available network and authenticate before functioning and she may be happening to be calling during this time (or right on the dot when your Blackberry is powering on). Ask her to wait a little longer the next time she tries to call you - another 5 or 10 minutes longer than normally, if possible. Perhaps timing is everything to solving this problem. You could also try seeing what happens if you turn the phone on manually at 7:30 and leave it for her to call you.

After performing those tests, you should be able to successfully determine where the fault remains and can then take the appropriate action either with the carrier on a network faults level, or a fault Blackberry repairs process.

I hope this information helps you, and others, in some way in troubleshooting issues when they are not sure if it could be their phone, or their carrier.

Thanks...it's just so hard to test something like this because it's intermittent...it doesn't happen every day, but often enough to be a concern. I certainly don't want to miss calls and never know they were attempted (since they don't show any sign of missed calls on the phone).

Themetria no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

It is hard to say, but for something to intermittently be ongoing for a while should at least be something more than just your wife noticing, if you were really missing more than just her morning call.

Its sounding more and more as though it may be down to our friend called timing. Fortunately, that is the easiest test of them all. Ask her to call you ten minutes later than she normally would and see what happens. An isolation test would still be required to fully identify the fault if the issue persisted, but it would really shed new light on the issue. Test it for 48 hours or so - if the issue is intermittent, run the test for the average of time. This may mean you will go cold turkey on your Blackberry for a couple of days, but its a test, so nothing permanent.

It is up to you, I am just throwing a technical support perspective out there for you to feel free to try. At least then when it does come to the time where you think you will need to call your carrier, they will have nothing to palm your call off to.

Thanks....what's the code again to update roaming on the bbry? I thought it was *282, but that didnt seem to work.

Thanks