Ok - Here is the deal. If I leave my APN settings as follows - ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

kevinfawl no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    205BE086

APN Settings - Opera Mini (BB8800)

Advertisement

Ok - Here is the deal.

If I leave my APN settings as follows -

APN: internet.com
    Username for APN:
    Password for APN:

I cannot use some applications such as Opera Mini.

If I use the WAP settings for O2UK - O2 will start to charge me for the WAP access (very expensive).

At the monment I have an O2 unlimited that allows free internet access via BIS but not WAP or MobileWEB.

So the question is - is there a way to use Opera Mini without using WAP APN or mobileWEB APN settings?

Any help - much appreciated.

Regards
    Kevin

mudshovel no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: APN Settings - Opera Mini (BB8800)

internet is internet, there should be no difference if you access the internet via your bb browser or opera.

i guess you could change your bb browser emulation to blackberry or IE maybe?

Hyper no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24FDAA1C

APN settings for BHARTI AIRTEL in INDIA is - airtelgprs.com
    no username & no password

Crispin no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Re: APN Settings - Opera Mini (BB8800)

APN Settings Question

I am having trouble locating any reference to people trying to access regular data pack services over GPRS using a BB8800. I am in Mozambique served by Vodacom. I have a Nokia E61 as well. Using a local SIM card I can access the internet and surf, get Gmail and so on using it with a prepaid SIM.

Using the BB a message comes up, "Data Request Refused". I understand that the BB automatically connects to a different Vodacom APN reserved for BB access to BlackBerry accounts. I want to change this setting (somewhere in the device) that causes the access to seek the Vodacom data APN.

I read pages and pages of people trying to connect their laptops to the internet using a BB, but narry a single message about trying to connect to regular data services. Apparently overseas this is simply not possible without a contract. Lucky us.

Unusually (apparently) we have prepaid access to the internet at a low price (about $0.06 per meg). However there is no BB service for international BB devices, only local contract ones. This means I can't use the BB8800 pretty much anywhere, whereas I can use the Nokia in RSA, Swaziland and Mozambique as both a laptop modem and for surfing, mail retreival. I believe that the APN setting is the problem.

How do I get the BB to access the Vodacom prepaid data service? The APN name should be "Internet" with no user name or password. Tha works on my Nokia, my Siemens....

Thanks
    Crispin in Maputo

galvatron no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    240582a8

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfawl
    Ok - Here is the deal.

If I leave my APN settings as follows -

APN: internet.com
    Username for APN:
    Password for APN:

I cannot use some applications such as Opera Mini.

If I use the WAP settings for O2UK - O2 will start to charge me for the WAP access (very expensive).

At the monment I have an O2 unlimited that allows free internet access via BIS but not WAP or MobileWEB.

So the question is - is there a way to use Opera Mini without using WAP APN or mobileWEB APN settings?

Any help - much appreciated.

Regards
    Kevin
    you have to use your carriers APN otherwise it dose not work example tmoUS is wap.voicesteam.com

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by mudshovel
    internet is internet, there should be no difference if you access the internet via your bb browser or opera.

i guess you could change your bb browser emulation to blackberry or IE maybe?
    Not quite. Many BIS users have to specify their carrier's TCP settings for 3rd party apps (Opera included).