Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Again those numbers are not the easiest to see. I had to triple check them ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

shadow63 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242949a0

Re: anybody use gsmphonesource.com????

Advertisement

Again those numbers are not the easiest to see. I had to triple check them and the phone times out on you after so many seconds . You will get the correct numbers. Just hang in there and good luck (BBing) with the 8800 . Also i am sure you already know this but do not put spaces, or .'s, or any marks like that in the number you send them. only the first 15 numbers.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by _Bulz_Eye_
    Ok, maybe it might be a stupid question, but, when you buy the bb doesn't it already come unloced?
    Nope. Pretty much all the carriers use subsidy locks to help enforce contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow63
    Unlocking allows you to use another carrier's sim card in your phone. If you buy a Cingular phone it's locked to only work on Cingular. If you get it unlocked you could use it on any GSM carrier's network with another sim card. Some people do it so they can use it on another carrier and some do it so they can use local sim cards when they travel internationally. Also the phones do not come unlocked. Mine with Cingular did not
    Resale value is also typically higher on unlocked devices versus locked devices.

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

How much does it cost to get a pearl unlocked? Do they do it for any type of phones?

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

Through the suggestion of this forum and from others. I took the plunge and made an order to get my new cingular 8800 unlocked from gsmphonesource.

It has been almost 24 hours and i have not gotten an email or anything.

I did chat with gsmphonesource on yahoo very briefly asking if they would be able to fill my order last night and after the intial hello they never responded.

I am eager to get it unlocked and i am beginning to get anxious because it is posted on their site that if you get your order in before 6pm pst it should be delieved that evening.

I am still waiting. Anyone have any experience lately? anyway to get this sped up?

Update -

I finally was able to chat with adam online last night. He informed me that the 8800 i recieved from the wireless crm seminar was not on the att db and he could not unlock it. He did however say that he does provide a service for international blackberries that will 100% unlock it. The process he explained is outsourced and I have to wait the 7-10 days. The price also went up to 55 dollars. I applied the "unlock" coupon for three bucks off and my buddies and I paid for the service.

I am hopeful adam will deliver and i will have an 8800 unlocked, sux i have to wait a week, but I will update this thread when i hear something.

MrRimm no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by Krad
    Through the suggestion of this forum and from others. I took the plunge and made an order to get my new cingular 8800 unlocked from gsmphonesource.

It has been almost 24 hours and i have not gotten an email or anything.

I did chat with gsmphonesource on yahoo very briefly asking if they would be able to fill my order last night and after the intial hello they never responded.

I am eager to get it unlocked and i am beginning to get anxious because it is posted on their site that if you get your order in before 6pm pst it should be delieved that evening.

I am still waiting. Anyone have any experience lately? anyway to get this sped up?
    Before reading about Krad's experience (as I am also trying to unlock an 8800), I went through the same thought process due to the "never hearing any negative feedback" comments. I tried the coupon, too, but later found out it is not $6 but only $3. However, after sending my money, I have not heard a word. After a day went by, I followed up with an email to ask about the status and still no response.

Maybe I am too anxious but the site does say same day reply if paid before 6pm PST...

Thumbs down Re: anybody use gsmphonesource.com????

One week later...

Still no reply from gsmphonesource.com, although messages have been left with him. Of course, he accepted my money! I know that more than one Mod from here have recommended him but given my recent experience I would have to caution anyone asking for an 8800 unlock from him.

If he ever does respond, I will update this thread...

Update...

Well, I never did get a reply but my money was just refunded. My phone is still locked but a buddy of mine has the same phone from the same place and AT&T unlocked it within the hour. So, I know it is possible - just have to find the right source!

Anyone know someone that has successfully unlocked an 8800 other than through AT&T?

hey,

I finally got ahold of adam from gsmphonesource with the same name on yahoo messenger. I got the 8800 from a rim wireless crm seminar, and after waiting 24 hours he told me my 8800 was not on the att db and that my only other option was the international unlock service. He didn't push me towards it, it sounded to me like he didn't need my business. But i went ahead and got two 8800 international unlocks with him. He said he has to submit them only twice a month. I just got in under the deadline and after 6 days, on the 6th day at 5pm est. I got two emails with the two perfectly working unlock codes. I have been using the new 8800 for a week or so now.

I used the code "unlock" to get 3 bucks off as well. I suggest talking to him around 5pm est on yahoo messenger.

Also if you got a bb 8800 and it has an oracle sku sticker on it, chances are you will have to go for the most expensive service.

I am very pleased with the service. There could have been more communication, but it was a good experience.

btw... he does do it same day... it you go 24 hours without a response that means no dice on the code and you have to go international unlock for like 50 bucks.

wu-wei no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    CHERS!
    btw... he does do it same day... it you go 24 hours without a response that means no dice on the code and you have to go international unlock for like 50 bucks.
    That's good info to have, but seems a bit dubious. Why wouldn't he just wait, and then he could collect more $$$ regardless of whether a phone is in this database?

This, of course, from someone who is currently waiting for an unlock code ordered yesterday...

Quote Originally Posted by wu-wei
    That's good info to have, but seems a bit dubious. Why wouldn't he just wait, and then he could collect more $$$ regardless of whether a phone is in this database?

This, of course, from someone who is currently waiting for an unlock code ordered yesterday...
    That is pretty much what he told me on the yahoo messenger chat. He does the codes same day. If not he refunds your money. Like i said earlier, he didn't even mention the international unlocking. He just told me he couldn't do it. After a few minutes i asked him what other options i had, he said i could go with att or use his international unlocking service.

I believe him because i got the 8800 for free at a rim/att wireless crm seminar. The devices have a funny oracle sku tag, the same one found on a disected 8800 on this forum.

Since i didn't pay for the phone, 50 bucks to unlock wasn't to shabby... considering it used to cost 100 bucks to do it.

wu-wei no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    CHERS!

Thumbs up Re: anybody use gsmphonesource.com????

That is pretty much what he told me on the yahoo messenger chat. He does the codes same day. If not he refunds your money.
    Well, I got my unlock code and all works perfectly - I'd recommend the service. Adam was very responsive when I first contacted him, and he did provide the code within 24 hours.

My comments above were just as a skeptical consumer - I didn't fully grasp that he would refund the initial fee if he could not unlock the phone. That fact certainly makes sense from both a business and consumer side.

stonec1 no está en línea Stack level 1

Anyone know what the latest 'status' of gmsphonesource service's are? I placed my order on Sunday 9/16 and am still waiting for my email. Yes I have checked all spam filters and even sent an email to info@ on Tuesday following up if the order was processed correctly (included my receipt number etc). Still nothing. I IMed who I suspect to be Adam? on AIM and all I got was a 'hello'. The only thing I haven't done yet is called. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for your thoughts.

stonec1 no está en línea Stack level 1

well what do you know, I finally got a hold oh Adam via AIM and I am one of the 'unlucky' ones who needs the more expensive route packages. Oh well... it's worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast