Has anyone seen this? For some reason most of the listed shortcuts don't work on ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

Roshambo no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23FF157C

Question <alt> and <num>key problems...

Advertisement

Has anyone seen this? For some reason most of the listed shortcuts don't work on my BB. I can't get into the SMS screen from anywhere. When I press 'alt' + 's' nothing happens. However the voice mail screen shortcut works fine 'alt' + 'v'. I can't get into the sent messages plus many others. Also when I press the 'num' key it shows the 'cap' symbol and acts like a cap key press. To use numbers in a message I have to use the 'alt' key and the desired number. Is this 'normal' or do I have a phone problem?
    Last edited by Roshambo; 05-24-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: missing text

hayden no está en línea Stack Mod
    PIN/ID
    ask

Re: <alt> and <num>key problems...

Ensure "Dial from Home Screen" is not enabled for these short cuts to work.

PIN/ID
    23FF157C

No, this didn't help. Does anyone else have any ideas? I'm also worried why the 'num' key is being treated as a 'caps' key when pressed.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

That's because they are both actually Shift keys. It is a common misconception that the Right Shift key is the Caps Lock key and that the Left Shift key is a Num key. Oddly no one refers to any of the other keys by their secondary functions...

Alt Lock and Cap Lock are secondary functions of the Shift keys. The triangles on the keys mean Shift. It's just like pressing the Q key produces the letter "Q" while pressing Alt-Q produces "#". Pressing either Shift key makes the key behave as a Shift key while pressing Alt and the shift key produces the alternate function (Alt Lock or Cap Lock).

The secondary function is always printed above the primary on a key and you must hit Alt and the key for the secondary function. AFAIK there are two exceptions: Del and the $ key. IIRC this should be covered in your Getting Started Guide.

Anyway, in short, pressing Left Shift with another key will not generate numbers in a text field unless you hit Alt-Left Shift to enable Num Lock. You have to press Alt and the desired key to type a single number in a text field.
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-25-2007 at 12:37 PM.

PIN/ID
    23FF157C

Update: I had to exchange the phone for the shortcut issue. New phone works great. Also, takeshi is correct. The left num key is actually a caps key. It is stated as such in the wizard. Must've ignored it in the begining. All is well now.

dolphinrich no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

In regards to the ALT-S or the ALT-I, the way you can check these is by doing the following.

From the Home screen, go to your Messages Icon and click
    Click again, scroll and select 'Search"
    Click again and select 'Recal'

My device defaults with the following:
    Incoming (I)
    Outoging (O)
    Phone Calls (P)
    SMS Messages (S)
    Voicemail Messages (V)

You can create custom seach hot keys to view specific folders, if you wish.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Roshambo
    The left num key is actually a caps key.
    Everyone does that. It's like calling the Q key the # key (which no one does) but I guess people aren't aware of what the triangle means.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Everyone does that. It's like calling the Q key the # key (which no one does) but I guess people aren't aware of what the triangle means.
    -

Except in a number field (like when dialing) when it IS the # key and you have to press the ALT to get a letter.

Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

That is why alot of end users end up locking themselves out of their own devices, because they cant remember how to type the password correctly.

KtotheJ no está en línea Stack level 1

Hey something else that is similar to this... I have a 8830 and have been trying to dial a * sign before a number. ex: *67 to block my number from caller ID a single time without having to go through the options route. Well anyways I can't dial it! Is anyone else having this problem? What am I doing wron?

Karl

PIN/ID
    3048e0cb

Are you pressing the * key from the home screen, or are you in the phone application? When you press the key, what happens? Does the 'A' appear instead? Does that key work at all (i.e. when typing an email)?

Maybe Cap locks is on?

I havent had any issue on my 8830.