Interesting-ish article on the merits of the 88xx in comparison to the iPhone and some ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

BoogieNYC no está en línea Stack level 2

ABA 8800 Article

Advertisement

Interesting-ish article on the merits of the 88xx in comparison to the iPhone and some news on the 83xx. It's more slanted to the beginner in the world of BB and attorneys, but it may or may not be of interest to some or all of us.

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/m16blakbery.html

One thing to keep in mind is that it mentioned the 88xx doesn't have WiFi; the article did not mention, however, that WiFi was originally included but scrapped because there were still some kinks that couldn't be worked out in time for an on-time release to Cingular.

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: ABA 8800 Article

Nice article....... thanks!! The only thing that seems to be overlooked, is that there are now numerous videos out there of the iPhone in action. It works. One can only assume that between the announcement and delivery in June, it will be even better. I have a friend that is a Cingular (ATT) rep and she says that the internal "noise" and preorder requests by current ATT customers is enormous. She thinks it will be next to impossible to get one right away.

Re: ABA 8800 Article

wclyffe, I'm sure there's incredible buzz surrounding it. Just the fact that it's part of our discussion here -- as well as in every other place where people are discussing cell hardware -- says a lot. It must be me, however, because while I understand the buzz and the excitement, I couldn't give a sh*t -- I genuinely have no interest in getting one.

I have an iPod -- it could stand to be upgraded (it's a 60GB video) -- and I have a BB that I could also see upgrading at some point soon. Yet I have no interest in the iPhone.

No user replaceable battery is the final nail in the coffin, but I also don't like dedicated buttons and the overall notion, at least that I've found to be true, that Apple products are very heavy on style but not always on substance. What I mean is that each of the iPods I've owned have had a few cantankerous quirks pop up here and there; most of them are pretty solid and their design is amazing, but every so often something doesn't quite work like it should and I end up pissing away time and energy trying to fix it.

I've had an 88xx for about 10-12 days now and the only problems I've had are a result of Cingular's service crapping out. The device itself functions 100% perfectly, and given that the 88xx is a big leap in a new direction for BB, that says a lot.

-B-

NICKY88XX no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    ask me

there is no phone that is out or that will come out that can take me away from my blackberry... im faithfull. nice read. thanks

MWPatterson no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Plz

I agree with NICKY88XX, ever since I got my bb, I will never go back to anything else. I will only go up on the ladder. The only reason to use any other phone is due to the lack of service in areas I hike or camp and then no bb is fine with me. I have my wifes phone for that.

I'm a long-time, business contract-obligated Verizon voice user (we have four lines; mine expires a year from tomorrow); when the 8800 came out via Cingular I went to take a look and took the plunge for data only. The 8800 is one slick item, but the data service (and not being able to use it as a phone as well) was lousy so I decided I will return it prior to the 30-day expiry and go BB via Verizon. I am prolly going to get a used 8703e to tide me over until the 88xx or the 83xx comes out for Verizon. At some point I actually considered doing a Treo; I'm a long-time Palm user (10 years, seven devices) and have LOTS of software. But thinking back to trying VersaMail via WiFi was so nightmarish that I nixed that idea.

Bottom line: I've had a BB for about ten days and I won't defect unless another, better line of devices emerges that works with (or identically to) BB data service.

F the iPhone

-B-

wclyffe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23D3F4C2

Arrow Re: ABA 8800 Article

Quote Originally Posted by BoogieNYC
    I'm a long-time, business contract-obligated Verizon voice user (we have four lines; mine expires a year from tomorrow); when the 8800 came out via Cingular I went to take a look and took the plunge for data only. The 8800 is one slick item, but the data service (and not being able to use it as a phone as well) was lousy so I decided I will return it prior to the 30-day expiry and go BB via Verizon. I am prolly going to get a used 8703e to tide me over until the 88xx or the 83xx comes out for Verizon. At some point I actually considered doing a Treo; I'm a long-time Palm user (10 years, seven devices) and have LOTS of software. But thinking back to trying VersaMail via WiFi was so nightmarish that I nixed that idea.

Bottom line: I've had a BB for about ten days and I won't defect unless another, better line of devices emerges that works with (or identically to) BB data service.

F the iPhone

-B-
    I hear you, and I like my 8700g a lot, but unlike you, I have a newer 30g video ipod that is very thin and sleek. Its dimensions match the iPhone almost exactly. The idea that I can take one very sleek device with me everywhere that will play my music, make calls, and most of all sync to my computer accurately...I have to say I've been leaning that way, but will wait and see how it really turns out when they release it.

Email is a part of my requirements, but only one of the main issues for me. For most BB users, it IS the main deal and yet the email application is very outdated by today's options. Being a longtime Palm user, you know this. So was I...from the very first US Robotics Palmpilot. Its the push email and the security that is the real attraction to a Blackberry for most people and companies.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

[FONT=Arial]"BlackBerry users will definitely note that the track wheel has been replaced by a more traditional trackball."

I'm not sure what's "more traditional" about the track ball?
    [/FONT]
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Crack berryz rule!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wclyffe
    I hear you, and I like my 8700g a lot, but unlike you, I have a newer 30g video ipod that is very thin and sleek. Its dimensions match the iPhone almost exactly. The idea that I can take one very sleek device with me everywhere that will play my music, make calls, and most of all sync to my computer accurately...I have to say I've been leaning that way, but will wait and see how it really turns out when they release it.

Email is a part of my requirements, but only one of the main issues for me. For most BB users, it IS the main deal and yet the email application is very outdated by today's options. Being a longtime Palm user, you know this. So was I...from the very first US Robotics Palmpilot. Its the push email and the security that is the real attraction to a Blackberry for most people and companies.
    W, I understand what you mean...I have the 60GB video. Still, based on my past history with iPods, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket (battery issues, random wonky meltdowns, etc.). The e-mail application on the BB is dated but it works flawlessly, and it's better and more consistent than VersaMail or anything I've seen on any Treo or WinMobile device (I started with the pre-USR Pilot -- another early adopter The thing is...if you're willing to put all your faith in Apple for both personal/leisure and work, the iPhone is something to consider. For me, at this particular time, I'll regard it as a nice bridge to something really wild that won't be out for, say, another three years. Meanwhile, definitely an interesting first step into the world of wireless