This is my first Blackberry...ever. It took me a good day to figure out just ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

cookcrack no está en línea Stack level 2

A First Time User's Thoughts

Advertisement

This is my first Blackberry...ever. It took me a good day to figure out just how to make it work and get it to do everything that I wanted it to. Once all of that was out of the way, one word: AMAZING. I have no idea how I lived without this!

Now as far as the 8800 versus other models, I cannot comment for obvious reasons.

As a first time BB user here are my thoughts (well ramblings) on the 8800:
    -the keys are close but you get use to it like anything. I was typing a letter a minute and now I'm okay with one hand over the course of a few days.

-EDGE is slow!!!! Coming from Verizon I was use to getting 500-600kbps, now I'm getting close to 100kbps or less! I canceled my tethering because it's not worth $35/month to pay for 56k. I wish it was 3G. It makes things like VNC/SSH and Web browsing slower but at least I CAN DO IT and don’t have to carry around a laptop.

-No camera is fine I don't need one.

-The GPS is good. I have BB maps and Google maps, but I have GPS in my car and it's much more reliable/faster/easier to use

-I wish the browser was more full featured, Flash etc...

-The multimedia is amazing. I load up my videos in thirty minutes and have enjoyment for HOURS!

-Email is great and easy to use, I wish it was a little more "user friendly" as far as the look and feel but I'll get use to it.

-The calendar view that looks like Outlook is amazing. No more post it notes.

-The look and feel of it is great, it does feel sturdy. I dropped it on concrete twice and nothing, no dent, no scratch no hiccup.

-It does seem to "freeze" and then I can't browse the internet. So I take the battery out put it back in.

-Phone quality: speakerphone is very good clear and loud. Dialing is easy and I like the address book. I wish that the call log would show a little bit more information like time and not just date. Maybe even separate numbers like (xxx-xxx-xxxx) instead of (xxxxxxxxx)

-There was no real user manual. What a shame. I'm really not computer challenged but some things are NOT intuitive and without a resource like this I would have been lost. Really disappointed with no manual. In fact I was shocked! I write documentation for a living and this was ridiculous.

-Synchronizing my BB and Outlook...uhhh where to begin? I just guessed and hobbled along until something worked

-Email again: it would have been nice to know that for my @personal email there is a 20+ minute delay in receiving emails. I have to fwd my mailbox to gmail to get instant updates...nobody ever mentioned this. It's not a big deal but kind of annoying since I have less spam filtering control on gmail's servers.

-Battery life is great so far! I can usually go 1 1/2 days before charging it. Much better than my old phone...30 minutes. (no joke) thanks vz!...

Well, that's all I can think of for now.

Overall I am well pleased with getting this unit. It does have its shortcomings but in the bigger picture it is a great tool. I'm glad I held out this long and I think that the 8800 really brings in a new market for RIM. I'm looking forward to the 9000+ series and hope that RIM realizes they have a very mature product and its now time to delve deeper within individual applications to make the whole system grow.

Uri

ojleblanc no está en línea Stack level 1

Re: A First Time User's Thoughts

Thanks for your thoughts.

One question: from where did you download BB Maps? Did you navigate to it from RIM's Blackberry88800 site? Others have reported problems obtaining it.

TIA,

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Great review Uri, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by ojleblanc
    Thanks for your thoughts.

One question: from where did you download BB Maps? Did you navigate to it from RIM's Blackberry88800 site? Others have reported problems obtaining it.

TIA,
    To be honest I don't remember where but I know it was an OTA install. I think the link came from somewhere on this site. I KNOW it wasn't from the BB site. Now that I have it, can I download the file and distribute it? Maybe it will work better for you that way?

I'm 96% sure I got it from here:
    http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/maps.jad
    I just saw that on my BB history. Enjoy!