Greetings all! Great forums here... have been learning alot about BlackBerry devices. I just got ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

FatMagic no está en línea Stack level 1

8830: Desktop Redirector over Bluetooth??

Advertisement

Greetings all! Great forums here... have been learning alot about BlackBerry devices.

I just got a 8830 World Edition, and have been playing around with it. Currently I don't have a wireless connection to the phone whatsoever (company won't pay for it until January) - so I know the BB is seriously gimped without that.

And now I have a question that I couldn't find an answer to (on much google searching)! I was wondering if it was at all possible to get the Desktop Redirector to "redirect" my Outlook email to my BB via Bluetooth (or even USB for that matter)? I am able to get the rest of Outlook to sync up with my BB, but I can't get the redirector to push my email in via sync.

The Desktop Redirector pulls in my PIN correctly (I assume from Desktop Manager... which works good), but the "Status" just sits on "Verifying forwarding address", and goes no further. I am using Vista with Outlook 2007... And I am using BB the Software that came from the installation CD packaged with the 8830 World Edition.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!!

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Re: 8830: Desktop Redirector over Bluetooth??

You won't get email without the BlackBerry Enterprise Server data plan.

So the Desktop Redirector doesn't just take my Outlook email on my desktop, and push it through a sync? I has to have a server-side setup to work?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

Quote Originally Posted by FatMagic
    Greetings all! Great forums here... have been learning alot about BlackBerry devices.

I just got a 8830 World Edition, and have been playing around with it. Currently I don't have a wireless connection to the phone whatsoever (company won't pay for it until January) - so I know the BB is seriously gimped without that.
    This is why. You said you don't have a wireless connection to the phone.

Interesting. I would have thought that since I can push my Tasks, Calendar, Notes & Contacts through the Desktop manager - that it would also push my email through it (or via Redirector).

I guess I am wrong! I just didn't understand the disconnect between synching Outlook items, and actual Outlook email.

And with Blackberry Enterprise Server installed, it then "pushes" the email out to BB's with a wireless plan... otherwise it won't work, correct?

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Email is pushed via BES or BIS. You must have a BB data plan with a carrier as that's the only way to get BB push email to the device. Email and contacts/calendar/tasks/memos are handled differently. Email is pushed and reconciled. The latter are synced.

Please don't use Redirector. You're just asking for trouble and it won't work for what you're trying to do anyway.

mikadad no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    just ask

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Email is pushed via BES or BIS. You must have a BB data plan with a carrier as that's the only way to get BB push email to the device. Email and contacts/calendar/tasks/memos are handled differently. Email is pushed and reconciled. The latter are synced.

Please don't use Redirector. You're just asking for trouble and it won't work for what you're trying to do anyway.
    Why is the Redirector the bastard red headed step child??!!!

I am a contractor at my work and thus I cannot get my bb connected to the BES so I have the redirector running on my pc to push my work emails, BIS for my personal emails and have been doing so for 2 yrs, (so have several other coworkers here too) through 2 different bb's 7100 and now 8700, with NO issues what so ever. If there is a patch pushed to my pc and its rebooted I get in remotely and restart the redirector.

It will not work for your case but it does work sucessfully when you have a data plan.

my 2 cents
    Last edited by mikadad; 08-23-2007 at 01:52 PM.
    Michael

Interesting!

My question has definitely been answered! I now see that everything hinges on the data plan... Thanks for the insight everyone.