Didn't order my new 8820 yet, but have a question. Does no VOIP mean that ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

cubus no está en línea Stack level 3

8820 no VOIP no Skype?

Advertisement

Didn't order my new 8820 yet, but have a question.
    Does no VOIP mean that I won't be able to use software such as Skype on my BB?

Thanks!

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

Re: 8820 no VOIP no Skype?

EDGE doesn't really have the bandwidth to support good quality VoIP or SKYPE calls. Not sure how the WiFi is implemented but if it says noVoIP, my guess is that there would be no SKYPE as well. But there is only one way to find out, give it a go.

ilans no está en línea Stack level 1

So really, what is the point of having a wifi enabled phone?? With all the hype surrounding the 8820, what is it good for other than web browsing at a wifi hotspot? Am I missing something???

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

You hit the nail on the head in my opinion. I guess we need to wait and see how it is implemeted and how it actually works before making a judgement however.

Gusndr no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2514177A

Well I guess that WiFi is good for windows mobile phones, in my opinion its no use for BB unless you don't have unlimited BIS plan, and you will use it only in hot spots, for me EDGE for BB is fair enough.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

ok TMo has implemented hotspot@home, which allows you to use a wifi connection on a wifi equipped device to make/receive calls as well as use it as a data connection. This is great so people who live in areas of low cell service can still use their cell at home. ALSO, if you are an international traveler, you can find a hotspot and connect with your wifi blackberry and make/receive calls for no cost (other than the monthly fee). Which means you dont have to pay $1.50USD/min. So basically, you don't need a VOIP phone, you can just use your regular cell phone. Get it?

d8nnii no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569098C

Unless u are going to chat on the wifi network for long hours otherwise I would find making a short call useless. Its too much of a hassle that you need to turn on your wifi, detect nearby networks, logged on then start making calls. If signal is weak, the call might get terminated than you gotta search for the network again.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

BCoop8184 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    32B12DA7

say you went to a foreign country and amazingly your hotel has free wifi in all rooms, then its perfect, this is a great feature, why is everyone so skeptical?