View Poll Results: The BlackBerry 8800 which would you prefer?

Voters
395. Register free to vote on this poll
  • Camera

157 39.75%
  • Wi-Fi

225 56.96%
  • Not Sure

13 3.29%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Wifi. If T-Mobile (and presumably Cingular) is able to pull off the Cell to VoIP ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

Re: Wi-Fi or Camera? - Blackberry 8800 GammaRay

Advertisement

Wifi. If T-Mobile (and presumably Cingular) is able to pull off the Cell to VoIP handoff they're planning, this will be very nice.

Don't need or want the camera, and my users for the most part won't be able to use the camera anyway. We're already looking at disabling the one on the pearl via Policy.

jigxerjay no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319F0748

Camera.... But would want both...~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ceelos2007 no está en línea Stack level 1

Camera

FLIPP_96 no está en línea Stack level 2

Camera is useless for work.....Wi-Fi would be a great help!

auroran no está en línea Stack level 2

I would rather have WI-FI. If I want to take photos I'll use my D-SLR

pthomas11 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d70f0b

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~camera without a doubt. Mainly because of my job. I do visual merchandising for nike and the camera would make that the best phone ever.

texascowboy no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23D5D8F9

Those who are non-photographers cannot appreciate how truly offensive phone cameras are to photographers, both professional and amatuer alike. When I shop for phones, I purposely look for models without cameras. Until a phone camera is capable of taking high-quality pictures in 6+ MP with a 10x+ optical zoom, I will have no use for a phone with a camera. Whether they make a version with a camera, I am not too concerned about, as long as they make one without it. To be sure, I'm looking forward to having the 8800 in my hands as soon as it comes out ... sans camera.

I just hope they HURRY before Christmas!

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

wi-fi ... maybe both

alexpataffio no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23DAC7B6

Agreed that I have my PC to surf, no need for the wifi. I only surf on the BB when I am out and about away from the computer and need to track a package, check myspace, do some banking, etc etc. I regret no having a phone with a cam when I am out and about to catch those fun and embarassing moments, or even the special ones. It's a great feature to have if no one in your group has a camera with them. So.... CAM over WiFi for me!

jbj9871 no está en línea Stack level 3

Wi_fi that gives you a little more choice on useing the internet

berry-bum no está en línea Stack level 2

If there was a way to use full blown bluetooth, there would really be no need for wi-fi. And, if RIM offers the new devices with options, they should offer the public all available bluetooth functions. So, for my money, give me the camera.
    Don't let the number of posts fool you...

8310 4.5.0.69 (2.7.0.72)

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by texascowboy
    Those who are non-photographers cannot appreciate how truly offensive phone cameras are to photographers, both professional and amatuer alike.
    ...and on the other, other hand -- i.e. not a military/corporate setting and not a photographer -- there are plenty of situations where people need or can benefit from having a snapshot photo and don't need top-notch 6MP+ quality. I won't go into a detailed list but one could be:

* In a car accident without a full-blown digital camera or DSLR in the car (I know I don't carry mine everywhere).
    * Shopping and wanting to confer with an SO on a potential purchase by sending a photo.
    * Traveling and wanting to send instant snapshots via phone to loved ones
    * On spring break and... well, nevermind.

Sorry if a piece of tech offends you. For me, if it doesn't fit my needs I don't buy it and don't get worked up to the point where it's offensive.

Personally, I'd like to have both but would prefer the camera first. It's rare that I'm out and about browsing on the Blackberry and I'm in an area with free wifi coverage (and if I am, I usually have my laptop). Mostly my BB browser usage if for pulling a live traffic map or weather doppler where wifi wouild be totally useless.

Seems that they should really make two versions. Or make an optional camera module that can be snapped in.

Quote Originally Posted by berry-bum
    If there was a way to use full blown bluetooth, there would really be no need for wi-fi. And, if RIM offers the new devices with options, they should offer the public all available bluetooth functions.
    I agree with the latter statement but I don't understand the former. Are there Bluetooth hotspots out there? Unless there was a Bluetooth AP or other device to connect to then there still would be situations where people would benefit/need wifi.
    Last edited by takeshi; 09-28-2006 at 01:44 PM.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    . It's rare that I'm out and about browsing on the Blackberry and I'm in an area with free wifi coverage (and if I am, I usually have my laptop).
    I agree with you on this statement.

And now I am going to ask a question for those of you that have Verizon.

I don't know the exact answer on this because I have not researched enough, but...

WIFI would be nice, obviously, however, do the BB's that are on Verizons data plan right now run off of the "mobile broadband network?" You don't have to be in a wifi area in order to obtain the "mobile broadband" speeds correct?

If that is correct, then really I would prefer that the CARRIERS get with the program and offer us data services that act at broadband speed.

Yes, edge is nice, but (I am basing this off of the ability to stream video on a Q) it seems as if takeshi mentioned above, even though they are growing, free wifi spots are still few and far between in most of the country other than Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, etc.

Does any of this make sense? I am still 1/2 awake and haven't had time to research this as much as I would like, so I am hoping to get some answers from you Verizon users here.

IF it is on the carriers to get us faster data connections, then how many of us would be up for more expensive data plans (Such as verizon) in order to utilize the "mobile broadband" speeds?

thought no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    I agree with you on this statement.

And now I am going to ask a question for those of you that have Verizon.

I don't know the exact answer on this because I have not researched enough, but...

WIFI would be nice, obviously, however, do the BB's that are on Verizons data plan right now run off of the "mobile broadband network?" You don't have to be in a wifi area in order to obtain the "mobile broadband" speeds correct?

If that is correct, then really I would prefer that the CARRIERS get with the program and offer us data services that act at broadband speed.
    Answer: Yes, the 7130e and 8703e BB's on Verizon do run off of their EVDO "mobile broadband network." (and the 7250 will as well if it has the necessary software upgrade.) And this broadband access is available throughout their entire broadband network, and not just in a wifi area. So one very nice thing about Verizon's service is that you get mobile broadband throughout a much larger area, rather than being limited to WiFi hotspots. Plus, the coverage area for Verizon's EVDO broadband service is very large. So this solution is no doubt more comprehensive than relying on WiFi hotspots. Of course, WiFI will still give you greater speeds than 3G wireless, but for most purposes 3G is very sufficient.

Personally, I much prefer Verizon's EVDO to any WiFi capability.

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

Quote Originally Posted by thought
    Answer: Yes, the 7130e and 8703e BB's on Verizon do run off of their EVDO "mobile broadband network."
    Thank you. Thats what I was thinking.

So that being said, if the carriers would just get their act together and provide us with faster data capabilities, then it pretty much makes the wifi access a mute point, correct?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast