hello Everyone: I am considering making a switch from the 8700 to the 8800. I ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

HSA
    HSA no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs up 8800 vs. 8700

Advertisement

hello Everyone:

I am considering making a switch from the 8700 to the 8800. I have heard that the GPS feature is a great tool. I was wondering what you guys/gals think. Also, can you tell me if the turn by turn directions have any audio narration along with it? Also, is there an extra charge to use the GPS, or is it incuded in the monthly phone/data charges? My current carrier is Cingular. I have heard that the 8700 keyboard is probably one of the best ones yet. I personally love it and would be reluctant to give it up only to not like the functionality of the new phone/keyboard.

Any advice/opinions would be most welcome.

Thanks!!!!!

HSA

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: 8800 vs. 8700

Quote Originally Posted by HSA
    I have heard that the GPS feature is a great tool. I was wondering what you guys/gals think. Also, can you tell me if the turn by turn directions have any audio narration along with it? Also, is there an extra charge to use the GPS, or is it incuded in the monthly phone/data charges?
    All of that depends on the GPS app that you use with the receiver. The receiver just picks up coordinates using the GPS satellites. BB Maps does not have turn by turn or voice prompts.

There's no charge to use the GPS receiver but you do need maps and therefore a BB data plan to download the maps. Assuming that you have an unlimited data plan you don't need to pay to download. Some GPS apps have a one-time fee, some have a monthly subscription, and some are free.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

As for the keyboard, my recommendation on that (same one I make to all my customers) is to go to the store and put a live unit in your hand. Spend about a half hour or so with it playing around and see if you like it or not.

Zo.

SkUbA0 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    240A0BB8

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~there is a gps program that you can get from cingular that you have to payfor but there are multiple free programs out there like google maps and mapquest navigator that are free. Not sure if google has voice directions or not but mapquest does.

Features and performance of GPS apps definitely varies. BB maps on my 8800 rarely updates in a timely fashion and it doesn't have voice prompts. Google Maps doesn't have voice prompts. Mapquest Navigator has voice prompts but in my use it's a bit slow in rerouting and tends to offer the useless suggestion of "make a U-turn if you can" (duh!). Telenav is actually the app I'd recommend but it is $10/month for unlimited routes.

As always, YMMV.

DaThunder no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Whooo finally the phone is in the mail. I gave it a test run at cingular and it seems like an upgrade worth having. Do you think I should sell this unlocked 8700. I got it for $129 and its less than month old.

crow9mojo no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    23E955A1

I've used TelNav with pretty good results. Also works well with Google Maps. Will have to give Mapquest a try and see how it works.

Dubdub no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    23FEFDC4

I just upgraded to the 8800 from the 8700 on Cingular. Still trying to figure it out however. I have LexSpell and BBMaps on it right now. I have GPS Nav in my car so I will try to compare it to that in the near future.

But so far, so good. Keyboard takes a bit of getting used to however.

kentrg no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    246FBBBA

www.nav4all.com or www.nav4all.co.uk

Nav4all is the only free gps voice software i know. You can download direction in language of your preference. The maps arent the as friendly as gmaps or bbmap but its one of my favorties for the voice feature.

RogersToronto no está en línea Stack level 2

Smile Re: 8800 vs. 8700

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    All of that depends on the GPS app that you use with the receiver. The receiver just picks up coordinates using the GPS satellites. BB Maps does not have turn by turn or voice prompts.

There's no charge to use the GPS receiver but you do need maps and therefore a BB data plan to download the maps. Assuming that you have an unlimited data plan you don't need to pay to download. Some GPS apps have a one-time fee, some have a monthly subscription, and some are free.
    As stated One time fee. I don't have a data plan yet, where can I get the One time fee for GPS? Which company is offering it? Do I still need a data plan for this one time fee?

Thanks!

I think Wayfinder used that pricing structure though I'm not sure if it's compatible with the 8800. I don't have information on every possible GPS app out there so you'll have to look a bit on your own (I'm perfectly happy with Telenav).

Unless your GPS app includes maps on a microSD card (not currently an option AFAIK) you'll need a data plan to download maps on the fly.