Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've had my 8800 for a week now & I have used it very extensively. ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

Advertisement

I've had my 8800 for a week now & I have used it very extensively. The 8800 is a huge improvement over the 8700 that I used prior to the 8800.

For those of you that are less than happy with the 8700 keyboard, the improvement and refinement of the 8800 is very significant. At first when I read the specs & learned the overall width is 3 mm narrower than the 8700 I was concerned. However now that I have experience I can say that is the best keyboard ever. The keys are perfect and operate very smoothly and are very easy to use. Far better than the 8700.

I highly suggest the 8800 it's a great new model.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MMB916 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Post Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

I have a bit of a different perspective. I LOVE my 8700 and truly enjoy using the keyboard and the clickwheel. Now I decided I would move to the 8800 - I'm a sucker for new technology Always keeping current and upgrading - selling fairly new and in perfect condition electronics to friends or on Ebay. Anyway, I was excited to use my new 8800.

In my own personal and humble opinion, the 8800 didn't measure up. The 8800 is going back to the store. I can understand why people who want a full keyboard would switch from the Pearl. Or perhaps older models of BBs. Granted, I do prefer the size of the 8800 to the size of my 8700. However, I have no need for the expandable memory and the GPS. As far as multimedia, I have made customized ring tones and customized caller ID, etc... work on my 8700. Also, as far as music, I'm keeping my IPOD...

I found using the trackball was easy enough to get used to. I understand the argument for being able to go side to side. But I'm so used to my clickwheel that the trackball isn't enough to pull me away. Also, I found the keys on the 8800 a bit too close together for my liking. I used the device extensively for a week. In addition, I found that when you're used to the Zen Theme on the 8700 and all of the menus and icons on the right side of the screen, of course on the 8800, the Zen Dimension theme puts those things on the left side of the screen.

Anyway....I definitely didn't LOVE the 8800 like I was hoping to. And given my attachment to my 8700, I decided to take the 8800 back to Cingular and take a look at the 9000 series (hopefully in Q4). I must admit, I am one of the few that hopes that RIM will not toss out the clickwheel...if they do, I will move along with them...but here's to hoping!
    Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

MMB916 - thanks for the great post. You made some very good points that highlight how challenging it is for a manufacturer to create a device with broad appeal.

As we all have our own values & preferences, it reminds me of the saying "newer is not always better". Certainly not for everyone.

A perfect example is that I feel the same way about my
    7130c vs my Pearl. While I like the smaller size & other features of the Pearl, overall the 7130c is just the best (for me).

Another "experiment" I tried after trying to adjust to the 8700 keyboard. I purchased a 7290. Now that was by far a terrific keyboard. However as much as I liked it, I could not live with the dim low res display. As well as other :
    "missing features" compared to the 8700c.

Regarding track wheel vs track ball I'm rather split on that one. They each have some rather distinct advantages. Even though I like the trackball, especially the 8800 version it still is a bit small, and pushing it to click gets a bit old.

Finally I'm truly looking forward to the 9xxx myself, as it just may be the best yet.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Question Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

Hi Archer6,

Yes, I was a bit shocked myself that in this case "newer wasn't better" It sounds like my experience was very much like yours. And I must agree with you, that clicking the trackball became very old quite quickly. Another thought I had was that I kept touching the trackball expecting it to bring on the screen (I suppose that might cause a bit of trouble). However, I kept touching it expecting to see my "desktop". Very much like touching the mouse on a laptop -- while I got used to it, I found it annoying that I couldn't set that to be my preference.

I noticed you sold your Pearl. Might I ask if you don't mind, did you sell it on Ebay or something like it? I'm trying to decide if I should just return the 8800 (I'm still in the 30 day window) or attempt to sell it.

Looking forward to meeting back here to rave about our new 9000 series

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    MMB916 - thanks for the great post. You made some very good points that highlight how challenging it is for a manufacturer to create a device with broad appeal.

As we all have our own values & preferences, it reminds me of the saying "newer is not always better". Certainly not for everyone.

A perfect example is that I feel the same way about my
    7130c vs my Pearl. While I like the smaller size & other features of the Pearl, overall the 7130c is just the best (for me).

Another "experiment" I tried after trying to adjust to the 8700 keyboard. I purchased a 7290. Now that was by far a terrific keyboard. However as much as I liked it, I could not live with the dim low res display. As well as other :
    "missing features" compared to the 8700c.

Regarding track wheel vs track ball I'm rather split on that one. They each have some rather distinct advantages. Even though I like the trackball, especially the 8800 version it still is a bit small, and pushing it to click gets a bit old.

Finally I'm truly looking forward to the 9xxx myself, as it just may be the best yet.

Cheers

Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

Greetings MMB916,

I have used eBay & other methods to sell the phones I choose not to keep. Other times I do as much testing as soon as possible & then just return the phone to Cingular.

In the case of my Pearl I had a friend that really wanted one but culd not afford the upgrade price although he was eligible. So I sold it to him at a very low price. It was win/win. He got the phone he never thought he would ever have & I helped out a true friend. He loves it, as he has smaller hands & the keyboard is perfect for him.

Recently I learned something new. If one buys a phone from Cingular, tries it out & returns it in exactly three days. They credit back the activation fee. So I tried it to see for myself. The Cingular rep at the store was very helpful. I was in on a Wednesday looking at the new 3G RAZR V3xx 3G model. He said if I waited until Friday to purchase the phone then I would have the entire weekend to test the phone. As long as I returned it by end of day Monday my only out of pocket expense would be airtime, which I would be using anyway.

Regarding your 8800 I think that if you are within the 30day return period a return to Cingular may be one of the best options.

Cheers.

PIN/ID
    23D42FC8

Post Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

Archer6, you sound like my kind of friend

Great tip on the 3 day return at Cingular. I couldn't believe that I found a wonderful Cingular rep as well in Chicago. I even wrote his manager a note at how responsive and helpful he has been.

Yes, I'm going to just return the 8800 to the Cingular store.

I hope you're enjoying your day!

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    Greetings MMB916,

I have used eBay & other methods to sell the phones I choose not to keep. Other times I do as much testing as soon as possible & then just return the phone to Cingular.

In the case of my Pearl I had a friend that really wanted one but culd not afford the upgrade price although he was eligible. So I sold it to him at a very low price. It was win/win. He got the phone he never thought he would ever have & I helped out a true friend. He loves it, as he has smaller hands & the keyboard is perfect for him.

Recently I learned something new. If one buys a phone from Cingular, tries it out & returns it in exactly three days. They credit back the activation fee. So I tried it to see for myself. The Cingular rep at the store was very helpful. I was in on a Wednesday looking at the new 3G RAZR V3xx 3G model. He said if I waited until Friday to purchase the phone then I would have the entire weekend to test the phone. As long as I returned it by end of day Monday my only out of pocket expense would be airtime, which I would be using anyway.

Regarding your 8800 I think that if you are within the 30day return period a return to Cingular may be one of the best options.

Cheers.

Best Regards,
    Mara
    8700c and lovin' it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123