Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

everyone has their own opinion and rightly so ! remember opinions are like AŁ$holes, every ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

gazar no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

Advertisement

everyone has their own opinion and rightly so !

remember opinions are like AŁ$holes, every ones got one.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I have both the 8100 & 8800. These are both excellent BB's.

I do not believe in comparing the two as the only things common between them is they are both BB's & have look alike styling.

They are each designed for different markets & usage. The 8800 is for those that do a lot of email & other business related tasks. It's primarily a business device and performs those functions very well.

The Pearl is designed more for mutimedia and less email processing. Also as more of smartphone that's smaller & easier to carry & operate one handed.

I do not see one as "better" than the other, just different.

Now that I have personal experience with both, my suggestion is to decide what you are going to use it for. Then what features are most important to you, and choose the model that meets your needs.

Cheers...
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

vw1pntatet no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2420a639

since cingular has the ptt do you think it would be avaliable for Nextel.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's highly unlikely that Nextel will get any new Blackberries. Cingular's PTT is also completely different implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer
    You should find the keys very easy to use once you spend a day or two typing on it. NOT 5 MINUTES WITH THE DEMO UNIT IN THE STORE.
    I certainly hope that the SureType users know better than that...

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Thank you very much for your info! Just the sort of thing I was looking for...

Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer
    I have used the 8800 for 4 days now and I like it. I think you should take the opinions of those who "played with it for a few minutes in the store" with a grain of salt. The keys feel different than any other blackberry on the market. The 8800 is not a repackaged Pearl. The Pearl does not have as large of a screen as the 8800, which is so useful in countless ways! The Pearl does not have built in GPS like the 8800. Telenav not only looks better and is easier to read than on the Pearl, but doesn't require a seperate GPS receiver to use it. Think about that on your next business trip out of town and you have a complete navigation system right on your hip; anywhere in any car.

IMO, the keys on the Pearl feel loose and cheap. I believe they are glued a rubbery film behind them. The 8800 keys feel like part of the unit and don't have that free float feeling like they did on the Pearl. You should find the keys very easy to use once you spend a day or two typing on it. NOT 5 MINUTES WITH THE DEMO UNIT IN THE STORE. This is an 8700 upgrade. Not a Pearl repackage.

It does not have a camera but that is either a plus or minus depending on how you use your BB. I am a business professional that works in the high tech industry. Camera's are generally a no no and, without exception on any device, take crappy pictures. Defend the need for a camera all you like but the bottom line is they all take "throw away" photos are are a gimick at best.

My take is this. If you are a professional and need a blackberry, get the 8800. I like the Pearl and think it's a great device. I'd buy it for my teen kids or for anyone not using their BB as a business tool.

I know everyone likes to chime in their opinions, God knows I do, but I really don't think it's fair for those who don't actually own and use the device to give it either positive or negative reviews based on playing with it for a few minutes in the store.

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

Awesome info given. I would like to wait and see what other people say on the 8800 as well. Love this site!!!!!!

icancn2u no está en línea Stack level 4

My wife and I both have 8700s and we both swithced. She got a pearl and I got the 8800. We chose based on what was important to us. I will say the enhanced media, the gps and expandle memory made it worthwhile for me. She chose the pearl for a camera and the size. We are both pleased, but like a prior post, they are differnt animals (pearl and 8800). I think the 8800 was worth leaving my 8700 as just a b/u

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

Thumbs up Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

Quote Originally Posted by moses2628
    SO, it has been out for a few days now???? Do you think it's worth jumping ship from a 8100?????
    The 880o is a great blackberry. I had the 8703e and I thought is was great too. I must admit I totally love the GPS and telenav its great! The voice dailing is another biggie for me. I believe you can't go wrong with any blackberry, it just depends on your needs. As a realtor, being on the phone 7-9 hours a day while driving....the 8800 is my perfect fit. (until a new one comes out)lol
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

AngelJo008 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelScott
    i've been using the pearl for only 2 weeks and can totally jam with suretype.
    i was very concerened about suretype as i've heard so many iffy reviews.
    i got the pearl with all the intentions of exchanging it for the 8800 as i am in a trial period with cingular and wanted a taste of the blackberry experience.

went to the cingular store today and spent some time on the 8800. I found the keys to be super small and hard to use. the pearl keys seem massive in comparison. if i were to trade in the pearl i would probably downgrade to a ckunkier model on a 3G network. I am sold on my pearl. I was drooling over the pix of 8800 for last month or so thinking it would be the device for me. i was also drawn to the gps capabilities... but after seeing how slow the pearl is with anything internet related in general... i can't imagine the gps being that great of a feature. i don't think 8700 users are going to really really need to upgrade as that keyboard is awesome and not that much bigger.

the pearls size and awesome email capabilities are perfect for me. i truly love this phone.

---one more thing going for the 8800... the only downside of the pearl so far is that some people have noticed that when they talk to me they hear more background noise than on my old cheapo LG. the noise cancellation on the 8800 would be interesting to investigate.

also, this marketing nonsense of the 8800 being thinner than the pearl is quite overblown. i had both phones right next to each other and could barely notice the difference.
    the GPS functionality was awesome when I used it this weekend!! It was VERY fast and VERY responsive when I was lost in a suburb of Chicago looking for a particular restaurant. The 8800 GPS worked flawlessly and I couldn't speak better about it! I had the pearl and the 8800 is better for me as a business user. I loved the pearl, but honestly it's all about preference for the individual. One cannot really COMPARE the two as they are TOTALLY different units geared for TOTALLY different end users. that being said, I love my 8800 and will keep it for some time.

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

Thumbs up Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJo008
    the GPS functionality was awesome when I used it this weekend!! It was VERY fast and VERY responsive when I was lost in a suburb of Chicago looking for a particular restaurant. The 8800 GPS worked flawlessly and I couldn't speak better about it! I had the pearl and the 8800 is better for me as a business user. I loved the pearl, but honestly it's all about preference for the individual. One cannot really COMPARE the two as they are TOTALLY different units geared for TOTALLY different end users. that being said, I love my 8800 and will keep it for some time.
    Angel, I totally agree with you. The telenav is awesome. I just used it to find a Starbucks and got a mush needed white mocha!!!!!!!
    Wendy
    Iphone...what else would a MAC user have.....

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987

Hey Wendy and Angel,
    It's good to see you all have had happy GPS experiences. I love the GPS but to me it's kind of gimmicky since at least with BB maps it's not functional as a reliable too to navigate. Maps load oh so slowly. At one point it took at least 30 seconds for it to update my location.

I'm guessing both of you all use telenav. Is it really that fast when compared to BB Maps? I'd love to know!

AngelJo008 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by Amahk
    Hey Wendy and Angel,
    It's good to see you all have had happy GPS experiences. I love the GPS but to me it's kind of gimmicky since at least with BB maps it's not functional as a reliable too to navigate. Maps load oh so slowly. At one point it took at least 30 seconds for it to update my location.

I'm guessing both of you all use telenav. Is it really that fast when compared to BB Maps? I'd love to know!
    OMG!! just delete BB maps right now!! LOL--I use telenav and YES it loads that fast!! try it you wont be diappointed--it has a 30 day trial

evilhomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I agree. BB Maps is really just a gimick. Would probaby be more useful on foot than in a car since they take so long to refresh. Telenav rocks and is more accurate and up to date than the Garmin and TomTom units I've used.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. -Homer

xtasyboi_00 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    PM

I would like to have the 8800 but its not released yet on tmo. Is it? Lol..
    And also, I want to research more on its Trackball.. I have issues on my pearls...so we'll see.

bluskye no está en línea Stack level 2

I just swapped my busted 8700g housing with a brand new gray 8700v housing from vodaphone. No reason for me to jump ship now. Phone looks brand new. I bought my wife a 8100, she calls it "awesome". The interface on the 8100 has its pluses. Form factor much spiffier, but the 8700 especially with vodaphone softer keys now is dam good still. Typing is much more enjoyable with the vodaphone softer keys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast