Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SO, it has been out for a few days now???? Do you think it's worth ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

moses2628 no está en línea Stack level 6

8800 Users: What's it like????

Advertisement

SO, it has been out for a few days now???? Do you think it's worth jumping ship from a 8100?????

EB
    EB no está en línea Stack level 3
    Its cool if you can live without the camera (which seems to be the popular prerequisite). The picture ID is still functional (as long as you have your photos saved on your SD card). It has GPS which is cool for you "navi-nuts". So far so good. Any other questions: pin:23f21cdf

pthomas11 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    23d70f0b

Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

jump if you want a better keyboard.

jump if you want qwerty.

jump if you want a better speakerphone.

jump if you want a more accessible sd card slot.

jump if you want a heavier phone that feels better in your hands.

jump if you can afford it.

Just curious, There are soo many posts on here about questions on how-to's. I haven't seen that many posts about what people who own it think about it!!!!!!

mjcostajr no está en línea Stack level 1

It's definitely a more solid build than the 8100. It's slightly heavier but feels well built. Overall a great phone and seems to run slightly faster than 8100.

Definitely worth the money if yopu miss the qwerty feel.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

MichaelScott no está en línea Stack level 1

i've been using the pearl for only 2 weeks and can totally jam with suretype.
    i was very concerened about suretype as i've heard so many iffy reviews.
    i got the pearl with all the intentions of exchanging it for the 8800 as i am in a trial period with cingular and wanted a taste of the blackberry experience.

went to the cingular store today and spent some time on the 8800. I found the keys to be super small and hard to use. the pearl keys seem massive in comparison. if i were to trade in the pearl i would probably downgrade to a ckunkier model on a 3G network. I am sold on my pearl. I was drooling over the pix of 8800 for last month or so thinking it would be the device for me. i was also drawn to the gps capabilities... but after seeing how slow the pearl is with anything internet related in general... i can't imagine the gps being that great of a feature. i don't think 8700 users are going to really really need to upgrade as that keyboard is awesome and not that much bigger.

the pearls size and awesome email capabilities are perfect for me. i truly love this phone.

---one more thing going for the 8800... the only downside of the pearl so far is that some people have noticed that when they talk to me they hear more background noise than on my old cheapo LG. the noise cancellation on the 8800 would be interesting to investigate.

also, this marketing nonsense of the 8800 being thinner than the pearl is quite overblown. i had both phones right next to each other and could barely notice the difference.

mrcsbrooks no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    204b1dba

Hmm I think the key board is plus!! In fact the whole handset is great!! But that missing cam, has me hesitant!! But I must admit it does sound like a nice bb!! Enjoy it yall!!

trigga15 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21655FFB

i played with the 8800 and its the stupidest waste of money if you have the pearl...its really the same thing with a easier accessable sd slot and a qwerty keyboard

I'm sold on my 8100!!!!! I will be getting a company issued BB with cingular network!!! (Hopefully it will be a 8800), but if not, the 8700 is just as nice!!!!!

wordthenerd Guest

I couldn't even tell you how I like it. Got it today-- installed google talk and it blanked out reading error 543. I read that this issue was java related so I synced the device with my pc and removed gtalk manually-- the 8800 is now stuck in a continuous power cycle. I tried installing the firmware again only for it to continue to do the same thing. And when I sync it it reads error 507. So yea...

joeperrin212 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    245DA445

I see no reason to switch from a pearl to its bigger bro the 8800.

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~im totally loving it.

dimosthenis no está en línea Stack level 1

Nice keyboard / faster than pearl / trackball is no so sensitive as pearl's / unfortunately it has no cam / enable bluetooth files for send and receive

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

Question Re: 8800 Users: What's it like????

All I want to know is, is it worth switching from a 8700 to an 8800? I know it has the SD card, and thus far that's the 'main' new feature I see...

evilhomer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID

I have used the 8800 for 4 days now and I like it. I think you should take the opinions of those who "played with it for a few minutes in the store" with a grain of salt. The keys feel different than any other blackberry on the market. The 8800 is not a repackaged Pearl. The Pearl does not have as large of a screen as the 8800, which is so useful in countless ways! The Pearl does not have built in GPS like the 8800. Telenav not only looks better and is easier to read than on the Pearl, but doesn't require a seperate GPS receiver to use it. Think about that on your next business trip out of town and you have a complete navigation system right on your hip; anywhere in any car.

IMO, the keys on the Pearl feel loose and cheap. I believe they are glued a rubbery film behind them. The 8800 keys feel like part of the unit and don't have that free float feeling like they did on the Pearl. You should find the keys very easy to use once you spend a day or two typing on it. NOT 5 MINUTES WITH THE DEMO UNIT IN THE STORE. This is an 8700 upgrade. Not a Pearl repackage.

It does not have a camera but that is either a plus or minus depending on how you use your BB. I am a business professional that works in the high tech industry. Camera's are generally a no no and, without exception on any device, take crappy pictures. Defend the need for a camera all you like but the bottom line is they all take "throw away" photos are are a gimick at best.

My take is this. If you are a professional and need a blackberry, get the 8800. I like the Pearl and think it's a great device. I'd buy it for my teen kids or for anyone not using their BB as a business tool.

I know everyone likes to chime in their opinions, God knows I do, but I really don't think it's fair for those who don't actually own and use the device to give it either positive or negative reviews based on playing with it for a few minutes in the store.
    Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. -Homer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast