I am currently travelling in China and my 5-month-old 8800 (never dropped, perfect condition) track ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

kevany no está en línea Stack level 1

8800 Trackball problems - in China

Advertisement

I am currently travelling in China and my 5-month-old 8800 (never dropped, perfect condition) track ball has stopped being able to 'select' things. It can move up, down, left and right but when I go to click something...nothing happens.

I searched and found the instructions to take the trackball assbly out and 'clean' it. After doing this twice it STILL does not work. I have down hard resets, soft resets...nothing. Now - my 500 dollar 5 month old device is pretty much useless when i really need it most (and have no where to get it fixed).

Does anyone have ANY idea how to fix this problem??? Thanks in advance for your insight...

rabbie303 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    Just Ask

Re: 8800 Trackball problems - in China

I just had the same problem with my Pearl. I got back from vacation and it would scroll around but couldnt select anything. I installed the new OS just in case per a chat with a Att/Cing online Rep. nothing worked. you will have to get it replaced. you can however select something by using the Enter key and then left button of the Pearl and manually select...
    ~Erich~
    ---60% of the time it works every time--

raphaelsamad no está en línea Stack level 2

Gosh this is worrying! Should the trackball fail completely, is there any way to move around the screen before pressing 'Enter' to select? I don't have a problem now but I would like to be prepared just in case!

briangwalker no está en línea Stack level 1

I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but I had the same problem. I removed the batt, and waited a few minutes, replaced the batt and everything worked fine.

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kevany
    I am currently travelling in China and my 5-month-old 8800 (never dropped, perfect condition) track ball has stopped being able to 'select' things. It can move up, down, left and right but when I go to click something...nothing happens.

I searched and found the instructions to take the trackball assbly out and 'clean' it. After doing this twice it STILL does not work. I have down hard resets, soft resets...nothing. Now - my 500 dollar 5 month old device is pretty much useless when i really need it most (and have no where to get it fixed).

Does anyone have ANY idea how to fix this problem??? Thanks in advance for your insight...
    The BlackBerry Trackball is apparently very susceptible to dirt - an issue which has been discussed extensively.

My remedy was to take a can of air and blast directly into the trackball. Make sure to hold the can vertically and shoot a test shot or two first and make sure you're blasting only air and not frozen vapor!

If that doesn't fix it, there are detailed instructions for removing the trackball's bezel so you can clean its innards here, but try the blast of air first!
    Last edited by jdellasala; 07-21-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    JerryD

ArgonNJ no está en línea Stack level 2

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    RIM should really redesign the ball so that it is easy for the consumer to remove and clean.

BBWrangler no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    219DFD90

If they did that they and the carriers would be inundated by users who lost the trackball.
    It doesn't record video. Get over it.

aorredl no está en línea Guest
    PIN/ID
    304A3BA8

How do tou take out the trackball to clean it?

jdellasala no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by abhorredlife
    How do tou take out the trackball to clean it?
    As posted above:
    If that doesn't fix it, there are detailed instructions for removing the trackball's bezel so you can clean its innards here, but try the blast of air first!
    JerryD