Okay so many of us have been talking about the GPS which seems to be ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

privax no está en línea Stack level 3

8800 speaker/mic quality?

Advertisement

Okay so many of us have been talking about the GPS which seems to be the biggest improvement however what I'm also curious, and this question goes to the users who have actually demo'd or own the device is how is the mic on the device, as well all know the 8700 picked up a lot of "outside" noises during conversations and it didn't seem to have a "filter" like other devices and it'd pick up a lot of other conversations in the background and made it hard to hear specially at public places...

So how is it? An improvement or not?

StaceyRVC no está en línea Community pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

Re: 8800 speaker/mic quality?

I honestly don't know anyone that has purchased this phone... But if its like the pearl the call quality is great

wendycharles no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    249F6ACE

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ I believe the quality will equal to the pearl at a minimum. I will let you know after the 21st.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

People have definitely already purchased the 8800...

I hope that the mic on the 8800 is improved over the 8700. I mostly use a BT headset so it's not as much of an issue but the 8700 is overly sensitive to background noise.

GaBulldog no está en línea Stack level 3

Maybe you guys got 8700's from a bad lot; I've yet to have any issues with background or "outside" noise on my 8703.

[additional comment] - I didn't mean for this to sound so conceited; my apologies.
    Last edited by GaBulldog; 02-19-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Arsiss no está en línea Stack level 1

But seriously, I think the Pearl is by far one of the greatest Blackberry achievements to date.

rtrott01 no está en línea Stack level 1

Uhhhh, so far the GPS has yet to be located....unless its tucked away deep in some advanced settings menu

Amahk no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    242B3987

Quote Originally Posted by rtrott01
    Uhhhh, so far the GPS has yet to be located....unless its tucked away deep in some advanced settings menu
    It's there, you just need to get BB Maps since I don't believe it was pre installed(at least it wasn't on mine). You can check for it in Settings>Options>Advanced Settings>GPS

I've tried refreshing for several minutes but it find any sattelites nor give me my latitude/longitude. I'm going to wait till tomorrow when I'm on the road to see if it works as said in BB Maps though.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

I have both, an 8100 and 8800.

My experience after just the first day (yesterday) with the 8800 is it does indeed have noticeably better call quality that the 8100 which is also very good.

I would rate the 8100 and the 7130c the same in call quality.

The 8800 is a marvel of integration. I have the GPS/maps working well, and so far I'm happy.

My first impressions are that there are two very significant improvements.

1) The phone clarity and quality, rich tone and good volume.

2) The Keyboard. For me, I found the 8700c keyboard dreadful.

The key shape was uncomfortable, and I could type 2x or 3x times faster on SureType with my 7130c.

The 8800 keyboard is fantastic, even though the width of the phone has been reduced 4mm. So, once again that proves that key shape is so important. I have large hands and the only previous BB's that had keyboards that I enjoyed were the 7290 and the 7130c. Best of those, was the 7130c.

Now the 8800 is equally as nice as they keyboard on the 7130.

The only drawback to the qwerty on the 8800, is it's still not as fast (for me) as SureType, but much faster than the 8700c.

Cheers...

trollicus no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2463D44A

I find the speaker / mic quality to be average from my different phone experiences. I would rate it as comparable to the quality of my old Treo 650. As this is my first blackberry (having the pearl for 5 hours doesn't count) I can only comment on that.

I also had an i860 from Nextel before that and it was geared toward a different environment with the PTT and speakerphone being more useful on the Nextel phones. Before that I don't remember the quality of my phones.

jerrycrabb no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    AskMe4It

Quote Originally Posted by GaBulldog
    Maybe you guys got 8700's from a bad lot; I've yet to have any issues with background or "outside" noise on my 8703.

[additional comment] - I didn't mean for this to sound so conceited; my apologies.
    I also have enjoyed superior call quality from my 8700
    Build a man a fire and he shall be warm for the night. Catch a man on fire and he shall be warm for the rest of his life!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by mistadobolin
    I also have enjoyed superior call quality from my 8700
    I agree with you, the call quality of my 8700c is very good, and yet the improvements in the 8800 are simply amazing. Just when one thinks it cannot get much better, once again a new technology prevails.

Today I have used it all day which has amounted to over 35 calls. I am simply amazed at the difference. This is a pleasant suprise that I was not prepared for. I did infact read early on about the potential of RIM incorportating this noise cancelling system, however I had no idea the difference it would make.

One environment where it's especially beneficial is outdoors with a high ambient noise level. During this type of usage, it's much easier to focus on the call, as it mutes the surrounding noise and you hear the caller on the other end of the line much clearer.

Cheers...

zentient no está en línea Stack level 2

Question Re: 8800 speaker/mic quality?

Quote Originally Posted by archer6
    ... I did infact read early on about the potential of RIM incorportating this noise cancelling system, however I had no idea the difference it would make.

One environment where it's especially beneficial is outdoors with a high ambient noise level. During this type of usage, it's much easier to focus on the call, as it mutes the surrounding noise and you hear the caller on the other end of the line much clearer.
    I'm glad to hear call quality is good on the 8800. Under what circumstances does that noise cancellation work, though? archer6: were you using the earpiece or a BT headset? If not, what do you mean when you say it cancels the surrounding noise? That would be impressive indeed if it just did it through the device's (ear-)speaker! I'm intrigued, do tell.
    • Oh, and if this is the case, what's with all the online "official" reviews that claim mediocre call quality? (I'm fully inclined to believe half the reviewers never touched the 8800 in the first place or otherwise have some axe to grind.)