I am trying to set things up on my new Blackberry 8800 (first time blackberry ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

MediaMan no está en línea Stack level 1

8800 - Sorting the inbox

Advertisement

I am trying to set things up on my new Blackberry 8800 (first time blackberry user as well) so that my incoming messages appears on a given day appear with surname first ( ie SMITH, JOHN).

What is happening is MOST of my messages are coming in as surname first, BUT , the ones that I dont have address book entry for, come in as firstname first ( ie JOHN, SMITH)

As soon as I add the offending email sender to my address book, sure enough, the name flips to surname first. But I dont want to have to add EVERYONE to my address book!

Everything on my office exchange server is set for surname first ,and shows up correctly - its just the blackberry that's odd.

I checked the BB settings, and they are correct, ie :

-Options/Language/NameDisplay : Lastname,Firstname
    -AddressBook/Options/Sort: LastName

What am I missing????

Tx

MM

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: 8800 - Sorting the inbox

You can't control the display name of an email contact unless the contact is in your address book. In other words, if they're not in your address book it will show up as whatever they have it configured to be.

MediaMan no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You can't control the display name of an email contact unless the contact is in your address book. In other words, if they're not in your address book it will show up as whatever they have it configured to be.
    That's what I thought as welll...at first....but not true...My buddy at work has them listed by surname even when they are not in the contact list. We both got blackberry's the same day, same model, from the same provider and we are on the same exchange server....so it must be some setting, either on outlook, or on the device.

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17

sorry MediaMan... pretty sure takeshi is correct. All depends on how you have your contacts setup. There arent any options in email general options for sorting like that. Emails come in basedon your address book first and then if they arent in your list they come as the sender has thier name entered

naviwilliams no está en línea Stack level 4

My 2 cents worth. If the SENDER is on BES, it will come in last name, first name. But, that's if their exchange is setup that way, and most are...

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan
    That's what I thought as welll...at first....but not true...My buddy at work has them listed by surname even when they are not in the contact list. We both got blackberry's the same day, same model, from the same provider and we are on the same exchange server....so it must be some setting, either on outlook, or on the device.
    You should check with your buddy then if that's the case.

However, with internet email there's only one field for name. You don't get first name, last name so you can't control the order and a person can even decide to have a single name, random text, or nothing at all in that field. That's just how it is.