I'm having trouble synching my phone and will need help in very basic terms. on ... Blackberry 8800 & 8820 forum

LauraG no está en línea Stack level 1

8800 Outlook Synch erases entries on phone

Advertisement

I'm having trouble synching my phone and will need help in very basic terms. on my initial synch, everything transferred from my outlook calendar to the phone, but on the 2nd it erased it all from the phone. I don't understand - does the computer transfer to the phone or the phone to the computer or both...?? I would like the phone and computer to match, which I think is the right idea. I rarely enter onto the computer, mostly the phone and then synch. What do I do to get and keep the computer entries on the phone? THANK YOU.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

Re: 8800 Outlook Synch erases entries on phone

laura - did you configure the sync with outlook under the configuration tab?

LauraG no está en línea Stack level 1

I did - it's marked for "synch" right now, but I see that I can also choose import or export. Do I need to change the setting?

Klotar no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    207BADEB

I was... let's say, surprised, by how my contacts sync'd also but that may be my newbie-ness also. I have only been a BB user for about 10 days now. Also, my sync was to Outlook Express and not Outlook, so those reading this may find thier mileage may vary.

In any event, I did an initial sync; using a csv created from Outlook (not Outlook Express in this case), syncing that with my 8800 and then in turn syncing that with Outlook Express. Hope that made sense.

I was somewhat disappointed to find that I lost a lot of info; but for the most part I got every contact's First Name, Last Name, a phone number (of some sort) and an email address (of some sort). I use the term "of some sort" to mean that I may have had multiple email addresses and phone numbers for a contact but ended up with only one of each. And Outlook Express didn't fare all that much better from the csv import but oh well, it's a one-time thing I figure -- and start keying in the additional info into the handheld.

So I decide to wipe Outlook Express's contacts and then sync the phone to Outlook Express and start out with a "clean slate". Thankfully, I had my "are you sure" type prompts on and upon reading the dialog box, see that instead of populating Outlook Express, I would have instead ended up wiping the phone. Although I would have my original csv to fall back on and start over with, it seems that wiping out a contact still keeps a record that it existed at one point, and records a timestamp or something that is compared to the phone's timestamp to determine that the deleted contact is "more current" than the existing contact, and sync's it by deleting the "older" contact. In hindsight, OKAY it does make sense in that it follows some logic... but my lesson learned is that in case of a conflict, the phone wins.

I realize also that I didn't try very hard to "map" fields and was in somewhat of a hurry to import my contacts into the phone, but was still surprised that very few fields mapped by default.

Anyways, that's my newbie contact sync perspective.

Edit/Add: Upon hitting the Post key, I re-read the thread and see it was more calendar sync based post than contact sync based post, sorry about that but perhaps it applies in some way.
    Last edited by Klotar; 05-28-2007 at 11:57 AM.